Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Getting A Paper Paper?
Yes 28 52.83%
No 25 47.17%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Getting A Paper Paper?
Old 06-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I buy the LA Times at the newstand almost every day. If they had reliable home delivery here in SD I'd subscribe.
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2006, 05:35 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

I'm still waiting for a functional wireless reader tablet like I've seen on Star Trek.* As soon as I find one I'll be buying & borrowing books online, too!
ah, a PADD. Yep, that would be cool. Suppose the closest thing is the Palm Pilot.

* *At one time,* the now-defunct Knight Ridder was working on an electronic hand-held newspaper* but, I'm guessing that's gone away for now...
BTW, since you mentioned e-books, I'll mention that the world e-book fair begins July 4. They're offering free downloads of 300,000 or more books.

* * *As for newspapers, I still read one everyday, though I get a lot of news off the Web. I suspect however, that the day is coming when newspapers start charging for that Web content.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:48 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I refuse to give up my morning paper. Just wouldn't seem civilized without one. Also, as a practical matter, the news stories you can get on the web tend to be very short and lacking in detail, even from the same paper that I get in the morning. I don't feel like I have really gotten the whole story if I don't read the paper version.

Bpp
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I take a daily paper and the local weekly paper.

That's how I start my morning; reading the paper while drinking coffee. Then I turn on the computer.

KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:26 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyT
ah, a PADD. Yep, that would be cool. Suppose the closest thing is the Palm Pilot.
There is someting waay better as far as the screen quality.
It's still not perfect (too expensive and limited useability), but I was impressed with full sun readability:
http://products.sel.sony.com/pa/prs/index.html
http://www.eink.com/products/matrix/High_Res.html
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #26

We had been getting the Washington Post daily, because one of my roommates proclaimed to be an avid reader. However, once those papers started piling up, un-read, and my ferrets couldn't **** enough to keep up with the influx of shredded paper we were accumulating, I switched to Sunday only, so we'd still get the sale papers.

There's also a local paper that they throw in your yard once a week whether you want it or not. Half the time it just sits out there and tips off the burglars that nobody's home! :
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:03 PM   #27

We get the daily local. Don't care much for their politics, but I like the word games, restaurant and cultural reviews, and Wednesday food articles and store circulars. And the Spoleto Festival event reviews, in season. Also, I'd feel kinda bad if I didn't support local journalists, some of whom probably write stories for national papers/AP occasionally.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Couldn't live without the morning paper. My mom worked nights as a nurse, and did the crossword every morning to come down from her shift, while we had breakfast before school. Learned to read that way, starting with the funnies and moving on to Ann Landers, who taught me a lot of etiquette and things like keeping it in my pants. Now I get enough coupons every week to make getting the paper free ($3.20/wk.) Am very anal about the garbage, so potato peelings, watermelon rinds, coffee rinds, cat litter, etc., all get wrapped up (in case I have to dig through it all for a missing receipt, etc.). Also need kindling starter for my wood stove insert, and am a very sloppy painter, so am always taping off sections with newsprint so they don't get splattered. Sunday paper also includes a free T.V. guide for the week. The paper isn't and option for me---it's a necessity.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #29

Tried cutting the daily delivery to just weekends then I heard a CONtractor I knew of was in the police blogs.... restarted daily delivery the next day.

Get the national piece on the web; but can't beat the local paper for the real local scoop.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Sailor, that reader does look pretty cool. Thanks for the link!