Getting BACK into a fed. govt. job?

soupcxan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My dad is is thinking of going back to the govt for a few years before retiring so he can increase the number of years that the pension benefit is calculated off of, as well as increasing the average salary in the last three years. But he's been away from the government for quite a while and isn't sure what the best approach is.

Obviously, personal networks are the place to start...but are there any other good options that you could suggest? I also came across:

http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/

I am thinking about the same thing, in my case I am a bit bored but not so foolish as to jump in without considering the impact on my annuity.  He and I are probably both CSRS retirees.  Unless he has very recently retired he will go back as either FERS or CSRS Offset.  My read is that he will need to work 5 years to eliminate the SS offset rule, and at least one calendar year for a re-computed annuity.

There is an OPM office in a nearby city.  If I make the short list in the selection process I will sit down with them to review the impact.

The website you linked to is good but remember, even in the Feds networking makes a difference.

Be very, very careful and research everything that might affect your annuity. There are some wierd rules out there; even for the Feds. Esp. if you were in some special classification.

Back
Top Bottom