Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At first glance, pumping looks crazy. But I wouldn't count it out.

Over the last few years, we've had some crazy rain events that overfilled local area lakes. To save the poorly designed dams, they rolled in pumps and it worked. Just incredible massive volumes of pumped water to bypass the failing structures.

But these were dams that had access roads. They could roll these huge pieces of equipment up to the structures. And then they had relatively short inlet and outlet spans for the hoses.

I'd guess that even with massive resources, the terrain and access is a huge problem. But it sounds like they are trying! One article I read said "hundreds" of pumps. Wow. Just wow! It may work.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyx View Post
Yah but not in zero visibility underwater (when you aren't even a trained diver)

This would be a nightmare (and I am cave trained and have dived caves for 10 years)
I think many are gaining a slight appreciation of ZERO experience, hazardous diving, blindness underwater challenges experts, and no food for 10 days. Someone upstream mentioned panic, I can only imagine how intense that would be for many people, myself included. I hope some really smart folks figure out the best plan. I'm sure there's no shortage of experts working on this.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Today on the news they said that it would take 6 hours to get them from where they are to the surface... so even if there was no water I would say it took at least 3 hours to get back there.... not so smart of a trip..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

What bothers me is that If any kid gets seriously sick or injured how much medical help can they get in that cave? There don’t seem to be many good options. Maybe a tunnel from the surface like they used for the miners in Chile?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Definitely need some out of the box thinking on this one. It appears the scuba diving route is just too risky at this time. Maybe start drilling an access from above for at least a route of entry for food and supplies in order to shelter in place until the water receded or they tunnel a shaft big enough for extraction purposes. Good luck and God speed for the kids as well as the rescuers.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:39 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I was responding to Amethyst who asked how they got in there.
Ah yeah got it. Wondering the same thing myself !!
limeyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:28 PM   #47

The following article shows just how dangerous this dive is.
A rescue diver has died bringing in supplies.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44734385
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Getting Out Of The Cave
Old 07-05-2018, 10:31 PM   #48

Getting Out Of The Cave

Learned that one of the navy divers died after delivering supplies to the trapped team, running out of oxygen on the way back. Terrible, so dangerous.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Definitely need some out of the box thinking on this one.
How about really out of the box? Maybe a giant pipe (inflatable?) could be fed through the flooded areas, pumped dry, and the kids could crawl through? Yeah, there's the whole issue of how you get a water tight flexible pipe big enough to crawl through 2.5 miles into a cave with sharp rocks and tight conditions. Other than that, it should work.

Seriously though, I've seen video of those kids in the cave... in their soccer uniforms (Tee-shirts and shorts). REALLY unprepared to hike/crawl 2.5 miles into a dark and narrow cave.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:07 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Definitely need some out of the box thinking on this one. It appears the scuba diving route is just too risky at this time. Maybe start drilling an access from above for at least a route of entry for food and supplies in order to shelter in place until the water receded or they tunnel a shaft big enough for extraction purposes. Good luck and God speed for the kids as well as the rescuers.

According to one news report that is not a valid option right now as they do not know exactly where to drill.... they said the boys are in a small area and if they are a bit off they can miss them...
Old 07-05-2018, 11:09 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
The following article shows just how dangerous this dive is.
A rescue diver has died bringing in supplies.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44734385

That is very tragic but you would think a military trained diver would be well aware of how much air he has in his tank...

I wonder if there was something else going on that was not reported....
Old 07-06-2018, 04:20 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
build a tube about the size of an aircraft drop tank with a door to allow a kid in and out. Attach a rope to both ends. Place a small air supply in the tank with a kid and pull it them the water one at a time.
I'm going back 60 years now...and remember a "Sea Hunt" episode with Mike Nelson (Lloyd Bridges) who got a baby out of a jam doing the same thing.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:17 AM   #53

Reading AP for updates. Their biggest issue seems to be time (and far less than we're imagining). Appears the addition of divers, trainers, medics, is fast depleting the oxygen they have, and heavy rains are due tomorrow.

As far as the tragic death of the former Seal, we can only speculate, but I hope they can hold that info back from the kids if diving is still the only way out. I would not want to attempt that journey knowing a Pro didn't make it...
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #54
gone traveling

I just read that conditions are deteriorating and they need to get them out sooner than later, oxygen levels in the cave are dropping and they are worried about heavy rains forecasted.
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:21 AM   #55

The problem with drilling an access from above is where to drill?
Not easy to determine exactly where they are from above.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:11 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
That is very tragic but you would think a military trained diver would be well aware of how much air he has in his tank...
He was delivering oxygen to the kids trapped in that cave. It seems quite likely that he and the team left as much as they could, probably taking the smallest reserves they thought safe for their own trip out. It wasn't enough.

Gasping on the end of a regulator until unconsciousness takes you is not a pleasant way to go. And it's not a danger of which these guys are unaware.

Thank you, Petty Officer Saman Gunan, Royal Thai Navy . . . for having the guts to try.

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

I can't see this tragic situation ending well. The death of that military trained diver could dissuade other rescuers from expecting kids to survive the same dive. This is especially true since these kids may not even be able to swim, much less dive.

I am not a religious person but hope that those who are, will pray for these kids. Nothing else seems to be working. Gosh, I hope I am wrong and all are safely rescued somehow.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Thank you, Petty Officer Saman Gunan, Royal Thai Navy . . . for having the guts to try.

Seeing the photograph, just heartbreaking . . .
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:50 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Cnn is reporting that the boys are being trained for scuba. Certifieds respond here to flesh out what we think they will need to know.
My first dive was in acapulco, trained on the boat out to the site! Ancient gear, no bc, bell on tank rang when low. Later I was certified by former navy diver who had experienced the bends. He was all over my sh”t about how my first dive endangered me and possibly others.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

I wonder if there was something else going on that was not reported....
As a trained mine rescue team member, we trained under self contained breathing apparatuses all the time to work in smoke filled, zero visibility situations. Individuals have different O2 burn rates regardless of fitness. Out of all 12 of my team members, I considered myself to be one of the 3 healthiest team members, but my 4 hour apparatus would never see me through 4 hours. We had team checks every 20 minutes to monitor our reserve.

And there is always equipment failures...
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote