Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I'd like to back this discussion up a bit. How you you "know" this. It's gross, true. But is it documented to be harmful? Who knows, maybe the dog's microbiome will be improved by the with inoculation with "bunny biome".

DW's solution to bunnies eating her dahlias is "I'm not going to plant those anymore". I set up a camera. Not quite "red handed", but close:
Google it, rabbits carry diseases, and our dog has thrown up from eating their droppings.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2020, 01:45 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd use a air rifle, but at least a .22 with some good (800 fps) velocity.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I try to have an agreement with the local wildlife - you stay x number of feet away from the house, we leave you alone. Otherwise...

This spring I saw more rabbits running around on my property than I could recall. To the point where I accidentally ran over one with my riding mower (coming around a bush, several ran out, one unfortunately directly into my path). But in the last month there seemed to be fewer. I think I found out why. Last week I was walking up our driveway, past a spot where there are low bushes between a couple of trees. A bird was flying through the gap, I must have startled it because it suddenly veered up and dropped something that fell and skidded to within 6 feet of me... a freshly killed rabbit. D**n nature, you scary!

I think the local birds of prey have been finding good pickings in my area.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I live cage/trap them and take them in country and let them go. They are easy to live cage trap them. An apple, carrot alfalfa hay in back of cage and you will catch them.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I live cage/trap them and take them in country and let them go. They are easy to live cage trap them. An apple, carrot alfalfa hay in back of cage and you will catch them.
Probably how the OP was infested.........[emoji4]
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Probably how the OP was infested.........[emoji4]
I have been having problems with rats raiding the garden, so I have been trapping and reducing the population. When I mentioned it to my brother he said he was live trapping them and releasing them elsewhere!

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've seen a few posts about using an air rifle. I don't disagree with this at all, but if OP already owns a 22LR rifle, he can load it with 22CB's. These are as quiet as air rifles, provided the barrel is long enough. I use them in my Savage, which has a 26" barrel, and it sounds like a regular 22 with a silencer. The smack of the bullet on plywood is louder than the report.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
I've seen a few posts about using an air rifle. I don't disagree with this at all, but if OP already owns a 22LR rifle, he can load it with 22CB's. These are as quiet as air rifles, provided the barrel is long enough. I use them in my Savage, which has a 26" barrel, and it sounds like a regular 22 with a silencer. The smack of the bullet on plywood is louder than the report.
I only have high powered rifles and pistols. Nevertheless, I am in a tightly packed zero lot line neighborhood with homes all around me and several that have upstairs windows looking right into my backyard, and if I even got a pellet gun out, I'd be on my way to the hoosegow.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I only have high powered rifles and pistols. Nevertheless, I am in a tightly packed zero lot line neighborhood with homes all around me and several that have upstairs windows looking right into my backyard, and if I even got a pellet gun out, I'd be on my way to the hoosegow.
I'd be reluctant on my suburban lot as well. Can always use a live trap and then finish them off as you desire.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:31 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try buying some fox, coyote urine that they use for trapping to get rid of the human smell.
Old 07-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I've shot a few rabbits with my woodchuck gun, a .22 air rifle. I think the more common .177 caliber air rifles would be entirely adequate.
I agree, shot placement is more important than caliber or velocity when it comes to a humane kill.

I have a Air Arms S510 PCP .22 cal. air rifle (with scope) which would be my weapon of choice if I were trying to make rabbit stew. With no strong breezes I can put pellets inside a dime at 75 yards all day long. It's so consistent and accurate it's almost boring.
RetiredAtThirty-eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAtThirty-eight View Post
With no strong breezes I can put pellets inside a dime at 75 yards all day long. It's so consistent and accurate it's almost boring.
You should be on the US Olympic Shooting team and they should all be using your rifle setup
Old 07-28-2020, 07:54 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You should be on the US Olympic Shooting team and they should all be using your rifle setup
My rifle would be illegal for Olympic shooting because open sights are mandated. I use a 12X scope which makes a huge difference for this kind of shooting. I also shoot from a sitting position with sturdier supports that would not be allowed in Olympic shooting.

It's more to validate the consistency of the air charge each shot of the gun and the fit of the pellet in the bore.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:43 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I even got a pellet gun out, I'd be on my way to the hoosegow.
Maybe, maybe not. I think that local ordinances typically forbid discharge of firearms, but to BATF/the feds, an air gun is not a firearm. So there would have to be some kind of law that defined air guns as firearms before the typical prohibition could apply.

In my case we have lots of windows overlooking what DW calls a garden and the critters call a salad bar, so I simply shoot from inside. No one sees the air gun and no one hears it. Beyond our backyard is a wide river, so I am never shooting in the direction of any neighbors, an important safety consideration with any weapon.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:56 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Beyond our backyard is a wide river, so I am never shooting in the direction of any neighbors, an important safety consideration with any weapon.
Shooting safely requires all people to be considered, whether they are neighbors or not. A river is not a guarantee of no people, around here, wide rivers attract anglers and people "floating" the river.

That said, maybe your windows are high enough above the garden that you have a safe backdrop. I don't know, I just know you shouldn't assume no one is on a river just because you don't have neighbors in that direction.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:15 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAtThirty-eight View Post
... I just know you shouldn't assume no one is on a river just because you don't have neighbors in that direction.
Thank you for that blazing insight. I guess I will have to start looking out the window before I shoot.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
... then finish them off as you desire.
For you, I guess that means in a stew.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thank you for that blazing insight. I guess I will have to start looking out the window before I shoot.
Hey, you're the one that said it was safe because it was a river backdrop. In my experience, that's a false sense of security. People like rivers. And line of sight is often obscured by the bushes and trees that grow on riverbanks.

I just want people to be safe out there. Four years ago, I was shooting bird photos with my camera by a river in a wildlife sanctuary and had just returned to my car at the trailhead when I heard a high-velocity bullet ricochet off the road about 6 feet in front of where I was standing next to my car. It made the "wing-a-zing" sound right up close. Pretty scary stuff.

Be safe out there!
Old 07-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. I think that local ordinances typically forbid discharge of firearms, but to BATF/the feds, an air gun is not a firearm. So there would have to be some kind of law that defined air guns as firearms before the typical prohibition could apply.

In my case we have lots of windows overlooking what DW calls a garden and the critters call a salad bar, so I simply shoot from inside. No one sees the air gun and no one hears it. Beyond our backyard is a wide river, so I am never shooting in the direction of any neighbors, an important safety consideration with any weapon.
FYI, in Illinois, an air rifle using >.18 caliber or with velocity >700 FPS is considered a firearm. As such it requires a FOID card (Firearm Owner Identification) and is treated as other rifles. Il is a nanny state when it comes to gun regulations.

I know for a fact (or I heard, or somebody told me once) that a .177 at 760 FPS at 15 yds will not even get a racoon's attention.

Quote:
"Firearm" means any device, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile or projectiles by the action of an explosion, expansion of gas or escape of gas; excluding, however:
(1) any pneumatic gun, spring gun, paint ball gun, or

B-B gun which expels a single globular projectile not exceeding .18 inch in diameter or which has a maximum muzzle velocity of less than 700 feet per second;
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to shoot rabbits with a cheap air rifle that used pellets or bb's and I could kill a rabbit with bb's. If you hang the pelt from the first one of the year on a stick in the yard it will send a message to the rest.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote