Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you. Really, I was just having a particularly bad day and needed some perspective. Much appreciated.
Jcny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcny18 View Post
Well Beer-man, raspberries to you. I know I am blessed, but to be fair, being a government worker also means a lower salary, no incentives, etc. I have been on both sides of the fence as I said. I had 30 years in private sector. I would have appreciated more helpful advice, but if that's all you've got, so be it.
Now to be fair, you said in your first post that you probably sounded a bit whiny..after all you yourself said they were golden handcuffs..Helpful advice is either keep working for the HI or quit working and pay for your own.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Nice to know I have company. We'll make it!
Old 03-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well yes, I did say that I might be sounding whiny....
Old 03-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I have about 500 days to go.

... Advice from those who came before? How did you stay motivated during those last months? I'm not quite close enough to see light at the end....
My Sister-in-law went through dozens of corporate buy-outs and re-orgs. I had no idea of how many until after she died, and we had to deal with all the different pension plans that she had her toes in.

At 60, she was under a lot of pressure to stay in the game, as younger people were trying to push her aside.

We kept trying to talk her into retiring and each year we would look at potential homes for her. But she had cold feet about retiring. Eventually she came down with pneumonia and died from it. She never saw a single day of retirement.

Going through her estate, she had twice more than what she needed to retire. Financially she could have retired, but instead she worked right up to her death.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you Offgrid Organic Farmer. That's a good thing to remember. I'm sorry for her and you.
Old 03-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well Beer-man, raspberries to you. I know I am blessed, but to be fair, being a government worker also means a lower salary, no incentives, etc. I have been on both sides of the fence as I said. I had 30 years in private sector. I would have appreciated more helpful advice, but if that's all you've got, so be it.

Go volunteer at a soup kitchen or with fatherless teens so you can see how trivial your “first world baby boomer” problems really are. Perspective
Beer-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:38 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer-man View Post
Go volunteer at a soup kitchen or with fatherless teens so you can see how trivial your “first world baby boomer” problems really are. Perspective
So just to be fair, you are half the age of most people here. There could be another forum for you to participate in if you don't like issues dealing with retirement.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Wow, what an insensitive reply. I don't think the poster is being trivial. I have seen several similar threads and I'm in this situation myself. If you can't relate, or can't be polite, perhaps you could just not post anything at all on the topic. Wow, that sounded like something my mother used to say....
Old 03-06-2019, 08:45 PM   #30

Quote:
I don't know what forums you are used to participating in, but one of the hallmarks of this forum is that members and posters respect each other and don't denigrate each other. Your post reflects a complete lack of respect and a large dose of rudeness.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

My advice is to use negative visualization to get through it.

Here is an example.

Close your eyes. Now.....Imagine you just found out you only have 3 months to live. Let it sink in. Imagine it very strongly. Who would you call? What would you do? How would you feel?

Now open your eyes......

......and count your blessings.

This exercise always helps me keep things in perspective!
Old 03-07-2019, 04:18 AM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
If other people’s challenges seem trivial to you, instead of snark you could show some empathy and share a positive example of how to surpass them.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:28 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

My advice stands as is, it’s unfortunate so many took offense to it...and reinforces the underlying theme that I was trying to convey.
Beer-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:44 AM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
My advice stands as is, it’s unfortunate so many took offense to it...and reinforces the underlying theme that I was trying to convey.
It’s possible the reaction was not about your message but the way you expressed it. Many of us have experienced the challenges the OP is facing, and even if we don’t have advice to share we can show some understanding, and camaraderie.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not really. You don't know what anyone here has done in their lives. Be it volunteering or being homeless! I'll shut up now.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Soup Kitchen?
Old 03-07-2019, 07:52 AM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Soup Kitchen?

Quote:
You are assuming a lot. How do you know I don't?
Perspective
Old 03-07-2019, 07:55 AM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
If other people’s challenges seem trivial to you, instead of snark you could show some empathy and share a positive example of how to surpass them.

Yes, I know my blessings, particularly around the free retirement medical, but some days are just hard. Other's gave me positive advice and helped me re-gain perspective and sense of humor, which was what I needed.

I'm not sure if Beer-man is much younger, but there are some things that time will cure.
Counting your blessings!
Old 03-07-2019, 08:01 AM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

Counting your blessings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGOTI View Post
My advice is to use negative visualization to get through it.

Here is an example.

Close your eyes. Now.....Imagine you just found out you only have 3 months to live. Let it sink in. Imagine it very strongly. Who would you call? What would you do? How would you feel?

Now open your eyes......

......and count your blessings.

This exercise always helps me keep things in perspective!

Much appreciated. Was having a tough day, and perspective and support is what I needed!
Old 03-07-2019, 08:03 AM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Yes, I know my blessings, particularly around the free retirement medical, but some days are just hard. Other's gave me positive advice and helped me re-gain perspective and sense of humor, which was what I needed.

I'm not sure if Beer-man is much younger, but there are some things that time will cure.
Glad to see you found the quote button.

Many members here have been in your shoes and faced similar challenges. Let’s skip the negativity, I’m sure others here can share what worked for them.
Quote button & Positive ideas
Old 03-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote button & Positive ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Glad to see you found the quote button.

Many members here have been in your shoes and faced similar challenges. Let’s skip the negativity, I’m sure others here can share what worked for them.
Yes, someone was kind enough to PM me about the Quote button LOL. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see who I was responding to.