Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I always wanted a setup with a rain barrel under the deck and an antique hand pump to water the planters on the deck. It’s a pain to lug water up there. We actually have a water conservation rebate on rain barrels.
One of these would be a novel conversation piece and should work for your application. I see free recycled plastic barrels on Craigslist frequently.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324210972355
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2020, 05:23 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you need more water than the 50 gallons one barrel holds, you can connect multiple barrels together. It only takes one inch of rain to fill a 50 gallon barrel, so I used to have 3 barrels hooked together. I bought a kit to install my barrel at Home Depot and it had enough spare tubing to connect all 3.

I had mine on cinder blocks and used gravity to water my garden. It was a slow stream, carrying trugs of water was much quicker when I was filling two or three at a time.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 05:36 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I would raise the rain barrel if possible and use a water feature (fountain) pump.

The water feature pumps are cheap, but they pump up only a few feet of head. So it’s better if you can get the barrel higher to help the pump, although a more powerful pump will be able to work with the barrel at ground level.

And maybe bury the pump electrical cord over to your outside receptacle.
This is what I would do also. In fact I irrigate my trees at the ranch with a raised 325 gallon tote. The tote is about 4 feet higher then tree nursery and I water with a hose attached to the bottom outlet.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:50 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Electric submersible pump suspended an inch or so off the bottom. It'll run through a water hose to wherever you need it to go to.

A simple extension cord can be hooked up when the pump's needed.

Mine pushes 2000 gallons per hour. So you won't be standing long waiting for a 50 gallon drum to empty.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Home Depot has a plethora (always wanted to use that word) of pumps:
Thank you. That means a lot to me.

Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:48 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Seems like a 12 volt bilge pump would serve you well. As noted earlier, a sealed 12v battery and/or solar panel can provide power. These have max head flow up to @11 feet:

https://smile.amazon.com/Rule-27DA-S...000O8F6NE?th=1
Old 06-27-2020, 05:33 AM   #27

Plumb a smaller container to your rain barrel that has a hose to your garden, another to your rain barrel with the spigot in between. Hook a compressor, or tire pump to small container.

1. Open spigot to fill small container, then close spigot. Turn on compressor/tire pump/bicycle pump to pressurize small container, that will push water out of container in to hose at garden.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:27 AM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Connect hose to gutter. https://www.acehardware.com/departme...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
ITTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:13 PM   #29

No useful recommendations, just enjoy the aesthetics of a rainbarrel collecting my rainwater from my patio roof for use on my ornamental plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0582.jpg (784.5 KB, 41 views)
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITTN View Post
This looks interesting.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:14 AM   #31

^Wouldn't it have to be raining a lot to use it?
Old 06-28-2020, 01:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
^Wouldn't it have to be raining a lot to use it?
Not sure if the question is directed at me. The way the rainchain is attached to the patio gutter outflow, it doesn't take much rain to fill the rainbarrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0909.jpg (362.4 KB, 24 views)
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:35 PM   #33

No, I was referring to a hose connection on the downspout. I can see running a hose from a downspout if I capped the downspout and ran the hose to a rain barrel at a lower elevation. But unless it is storming here, the trickle of water from my downspouts to my "southern 40" is minimal.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:38 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITTN View Post
That might be a solution for OP.
OP could attach one of those, with a hose, and move the rain barrel uphill to the garden.
Then run the hose down side of house, along the ground (or an inch underground once sees it works) over to the barrel, up the side of barrel and in.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds as though you don't need a lot of pressure (just enough to get up 5 feet or so) but are you concerned about flow rate? If you're not in a hurry, you can get a 280gph submersible 12 volt pump from
https://www.goldmine-elec-products.c...?number=G20108
plus another $5 for 15 additional feet of waterproof cable. Plus shipping.

The pump's output is 1/2" so you'd need an adapter to connect to your garden hose (short piece of hose that will fit the output and proper hose fitting on the other end.

You said "southwest corner" so you might have good sun there. If so, you could run that 12 volt pump from a battery that's kept charged by the sun. Not cheap but cheaper than having an AC outlet placed nearby by an electrician.
30 watt solar panel $60 (Aleko panel, Walmart) adequate to recharge in 3+ hours of sun - if you have less sun look on Ebay for a 100 watt panel ($85 delivered)
20 amp solar charge controller $20 (#300186, banggood.com or similar - EPEver makes good units but at twice the price)
35AH AGM battery ($70, batteryclerk.com, Harbor Freight, others)
On/Off switch for the pump (Advance Auto, AutoZone, Walmart)
some 16 gauge wire (red and black, (Advance Auto, AutoZone, Walmart)
inline 10 amp fuses $6 each - one for solar panel, one for pump (auto parts)
miscellaneous butt connectors for wiring, etc.

You figure out how to mount the solar panel facing south. On the roof is ideal but at least high enough to be out of easy damage reach (careful with the shovel over your ahoulder ;-)

The pump should either be suspended 6 inches or so above the bottom of the barrel to avoid picking up trash OR you could make a floating pump with some waterproof foam (think: floating boat dock) and the pump would always be drawing from the top few inches of the water, regardless of level (this assumes a barrel with a removable lid).

With an open hose, that pump can empty the barrel in about 12 minutes so you might want to lay out soaker or sprinkler hoses instead of hand watering and just run the pump for 2 minutes every hour or until the soil is "wet enough".

I sized the battery for several consecutive days of use without sun and to handle the startup load of the pump.

The solar powered lighting in the equipment shed out back is my design and is in it's 17th month of reliable service.
papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I have not tried it, just found it by searching.
I have used one of these
Don’t waste your money

I have a rain barrel too
I would get a small pump from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight (however many GPM you want to afford) and use that. Plug it in with your 15 foot cord and store the cord when not in use. The pumps are weather resistant.
frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #37

I have 7 rain barrels in use. One of my setups is close to yours as I have more water in the back of the house and I balance it by sending it to the front. I run spare hose to the front, this rain barrel is only 1-2 feet elevated. It runs down hill to ground level around AC unit, double cellar door, back uphill along the house to the front bushes. At the end of the hose I have a shut off valve, where I fill up a 5 gal pail to water the front. Flow is reduced, but I get much more water transfer w/o having to walk back and forth. In your situation, I would just run hose around the wood, then end it as close to your garden and to the lowest elevation point. Any elevation of the rain barrel helps too. I don't have any pumps, all my barrels are high enough to get a 5 gal bucket or watering can under the spigot except one.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

How about changing the spigot on the bottom to one that is threaded to match a garden hose? No pump needed and should cost less than $5.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:26 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I raised mine significantly, such that the outlet is about 3 ft higher than the area I water.

I still found the flow to be useless for any kind of spray. And the inherent debris in the barrel is a great way to clog soakers.

So, I just use a pair of 3 gallon watering cans and transport by hand. It is good exercise. But I know OP doesn't want that solution. I understand.

I've heard of good success stories with pumps, and ultimately that's probably the solution needed for the OP.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:03 AM   #40
Confused about dryer sheets

Is it not possible to raise the water barrel up then use gravity?
Firedin2010 is offline   Reply With Quote