Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stop the presses!

19-0: The Historic Championship Season of New England's Unbeatable Patriots (Paperback)

Amazon.com: 19-0: The Historic Championship Season of New England's Unbeatable Patriots: Books: Boston Globe
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2008, 11:52 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I was busy so i taped it,guess it was foolish of me to think i would get to watch that tape before some one gave away the score. Giants win!!!!
could have been titled a little more tactfully for those of us who had to tape the game
Sorry... but if you do not watch something like this in real time... don't be surprised if it is all over the net.... you should not have even logged on..

Heck, Yahoo had it in a bunch of headlines... you could not get to your email without seeing this info.....

Soooo, kind of your fault IMO...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Almost as good as that other game in Glendale about a year ago.

;-)

2Cor521
BSU alum and big fan of underdogs
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was amazed by the pass play where Manning was all but sacked, yet he slipped away and completed a pass that was miraculously caught using one hand and the helmet while the defender did all he could to knock the ball out.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
I was amazed by the pass play where Manning was all but sacked, yet he slipped away and completed a pass that was miraculously caught using one hand and the helmet while the defender did all he could to knock the ball out.

Yeah- This is already being talked about as the greatest single play in superbowl history, given the context of when and under what circumstances it occurred in the game.
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
I was so glad to see the Giants win and prove my point.....Tom Brady is over rated. Knock him down a few times, and he won't make the throws.
Congratulations to the NY Giants for a great game and a great last drive to win it but to say that Tom Brady is overrated is nonsense. He won three super bowls with no name receivers. He has the highest winning percentage of any QB in NFL history and broke a few records this year with good receivers like Moss and Welker.

BTW the PATS will be in the mix next year too.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
Congratulations to the NY Giants for a great game and a great last drive to win it but to say that Tom Brady is overrated is nonsense. He won three super bowls with no name receivers. He has the highest winning percentage of any QB in NFL history and broke a few records this year with good receivers like Moss and Welker.

Brady is very good, but I say that he is overrated because people have been comparing Brady to Joe Montana....and Brady is not in that echelon. Brady's success in my opinion has been due to the phenonemal offensive lines he has been playing behind during his career. If you start nocking him around, he begins to look more ordinary, as the superbowl proved.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post

The Pats have a good football team - HOWEVER! On any given sunday - in this case Superbowl Sunday the Giants won - the game held my attention the whole way. Very good.

The Giant's fans at the party outnumbered us Pats fans 4 to 1 - and er ahem there was this person wearing a no. 25 Reggie Bush Saints jersey.

Never say die - what till next year.

heh heh heh - food was good too.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:21 PM   #29

Unbelievable game. Never thought my home team would win. My 6 degrees of separation story with the Giants is that my yoga teacher is the staff yoga teacher for the Giants. Every one of them has to take her class weekly during the pre-season and the season. They think it might be helping them avoid injuries, and that it might be doing other good things for them, including helping them keep their heads clear. The teacher (Gwen) is amazing and pushes us kinda hard and we have to keep reminding her that we're the suburban middle-aged class and not the Giants class.

I sculpted her doing one of the more challenging poses, (scorpion pose) and she's going to show the piece to the team (and their wives) and see if she can drum up a few Giants as clients for me... The perfect semi-retirement activity for me.
ESRBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:31 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Ah well, how much of a good thing can a New England fan expect? 2 World Series' wins in the past 3 years, 3 Superbowl victories in the past 7 and a Celtic team that is 36-8 this year and looking every bit like a World Champion. It's been dry in New York for awhile. The Big Apple gets to celebrate and we'll just enjoy what we have.

Catchers and pitchers report this week....
Old 02-05-2008, 05:55 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medit8 View Post
Ah well, how much of a good thing can a New England fan expect? 2 World Series' wins in the past 3 years, 3 Superbowl victories in the past 7 and a Celtic team that is 36-8 this year and looking every bit like a World Champion. It's been dry in New York for awhile. The Big Apple gets to celebrate and we'll just enjoy what we have.

Catchers and pitchers report this week....
Congrats again to the football New York Giants and their fans.

Medit, do you think that the Yanks should have let A-Rod go and instead signed or traded for Santana?

The Mets made the best move of the off season by getting Santana.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:57 AM   #32

Nice story ESRBob...
Old 02-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
The Mets made the best move of the off season by getting Santana.
I always liked his music...

The Rangers are rumored to be resigning Nolan Ryan...

L...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:56 AM   #34

RBK - Perfectville

I thought this was funny...
Old 02-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRBob View Post
I sculpted her doing one of the more challenging poses, (scorpion pose)
Dramatic pose, and beautiful woman. Excellent piece, Bob. How large is it?

Ha
Old 02-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Brady is very good, but I say that he is overrated because people have been comparing Brady to Joe Montana....and Brady is not in that echelon. Brady's success in my opinion has been due to the phenonemal offensive lines he has been playing behind during his career. If you start nocking him around, he begins to look more ordinary, as the superbowl proved.
You don't think Joe Montana had a good offense line? I doubt if Joe would have done much better against the Giants pressure.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
While Green Bay wasn't the toughest team on the block, beating them IN Green Bay when the temp is below zero is no easy feat.
Times have changed. Green Bay is not the cold weather team of old. It's a very young team that most players have never played in cold like that. And who had the advantage? A 38 year old arthritic QB known for his passing or a up and coming young whipper snapper? The myth of The Packers superiority in cold weather is dead. Had the temp been above 25 it would have been a different game and the Pack probably would have faced the Patriots in the superbowl. I do not think they could have beat them though for they could not have put the pressure on Brady that the Giants did. MVP should have gone to the defensive line of the Giants, not Manning.
Can't wait for next year and I bet the Patriots can't either.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
You don't think Joe Montana had a good offense line? I doubt if Joe would have done much better against the Giants pressure.
I remember Joe being very elusive and creating additional time on his own. Plus his passes were so accurate that his receivers didn't have to break stride to catch them, even with blanket coverage. Incidently, I hated the 49ers during that era- I'm just giving props where props are due.

Brady is good....very good....he manages the game extremely well...but if he doesn't get time he's more average. Joe still managed to get it done when he didn't get as much time. Plus, Brady has had no defining moments, no game changing plays in the big games that people will remember. Remember The Catch? How about the drives Montana made when he had to score a TD? Brady has only had to drive his teams into FG range when the score was tied to win it....And his first superbowl MVP? he passed for 145 yards total. I'm not sure you'd find a QB that won superbowl MVP with more pedestrian stats than that.

In fairness, Brady has a lot of years left to play, and he could very well move up into Montana status. But right now, He's just not there......I think John Madden might have been the one to start this hype anyways.....
Old 02-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I remember Joe being very elusive and creating additional time on his own. Plus his passes were so accurate that his receivers didn't have to break stride to catch them, even with blanket coverage. Incidently, I hated the 49ers during that era- I'm just giving props where props are due.

Brady is good....very good....he manages the game extremely well...but if he doesn't get time he's more average. Joe still managed to get it done when he didn't get as much time. Plus, Brady has had no defining moments, no game changing plays in the big games that people will remember. Remember The Catch? How about the drives Montana made when he had to score a TD? Brady has only had to drive his teams into FG range when the score was tied to win it....And his first superbowl MVP? he passed for 145 yards total. I'm not sure you'd find a QB that won superbowl MVP with more pedestrian stats than that.

In fairness, Brady has a lot of years left to play, and he could very well move up into Montana status. But right now, He's just not there......I think John Madden might have been the one to start this hype anyways.....
The way the Giants defensive line played almost every QB would have had problems. Fran Tarkenton might have had success but most QBs could not have handled that pressure. A running game would have helped too. The Giants defense played superb and kept it within reach for Eli to make the miracle play and win the game. Had the refs called "in the grasp" we would be talking about the Patriot's win. It was a close one.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #40

Quote:

Maybe this article in USA TODAY may change your mind regarding Brady's status as an elite QB. Looks to me like Brady had better numbers than Montana for the first 8 years of their careers.

BTW both Montana and Bradshaw had excellent offensive lines.

Faces of Patriots' franchise take a shot at NFL history - USATODAY.com
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote