Gift ideas - cheap but unique

I'm afraid I cannot be of any help. If I received any if the presents listed, they would be in the trash by the end of the day. Guess I am too picky. :)

Some of those are fun--who knew salt boxes were a cool kitchen accessory. I would definitely regift the book, flashcards, toothbrush, iphone prop, etc. The chocolates would never make it to the giftee :). In fact, I have made my own candy and liqueurs to give away (after a little sampling) and may again next year.

Last edited:
The other day DW and I spent a few hours at my Moms house [-]throwing out junk[/-] removing unused items from her kitchen cabinets. Some of those items were gifts I gave that resemble things found on the link.

No more gifts for me, thanks, and now I try to limit my gift giving to things that can be consumed.

These are adult stocking stuffers. Nothing wrong with that.

They are also suitable, IMHO, for workplace-party gift exchanges (those events where you are supposed to steal the gift you like better, and later on the person who opened it tries to steal it back, and everyone is filled with merriment as a result) :facepalm:

An observation: I've been [-]forced[/-] to [-]attend [/-]more of these events than I can count, and every time, it's the <$10 bottles of wine that are consistently coveted and re-stolen. This gives, perhaps, some insight into the average person's preference when it comes to inexpensive gifts. :D (Edit by author: This seems to hold true across ages 20-60, at least at work). Therefore, unless your recipients are tee-totallers, I would give a <$10 bottle of decent wine (do a little research; some cheap wine is way better than others).

Just my $.02. In the end, people are pleased that you thought of them.

Amethyst

Before its too late, I gotta start thinking about the gifts. I am not going to give big gifts but small, cheap and unique. Google led me to MintLife Blog | Personal Finance News & Advice | 10 Holiday Gifts for $10 or Less

Pretty cool ideas. I wonder if any one of you know such unique products.

Thanks in advance.

I like the tote , the book & the toothbrushes . I keep totes in my car . They are great for groceries especially at places like Aldi's that does not have bags .I do agree with Amethyst that a bottle of wine is a great gift or a bouquet of flowers.

I'm afraid I cannot be of any help. If I received any if the presents listed, they would be in the trash by the end of the day. Guess I am too picky. :)

Glad I never got your name at the office holiday gift exchange;)

I wholeheartedly agree with the wine idea. In fact, this afternoon I am going to the liquor store to pick up a half a dozen assorted bottles to give as gifts. I have a retired co-worked I need to visit sometime this month (she likes sweet "pop" wines), a friend's party to attend on Friday night (she likes better sweet reds), a cousin dropping by over the week-end (she likes expensive dry reds), and so it goes.

For some, a lottery ticket makes a nice (very cheap but still appreciated) gift.

img_1254349_0_bad65b2bd947e72c8634e707c9175dea.jpg

I would also prefer to receive consumables like wine, chocolate, caramels, home baked cookies, pies, etc. I appreciate the thought, but am tired of knick knack gifts.

Moemg said:
I like the tote , the book & the toothbrushes . I keep totes in my car . They are great for groceries especially at places like Aldi's that does not have bags .I do agree with Amethyst that a bottle of wine is a great gift or a bouquet of flowers.

You send me the chocolates and I'll send you the tote :).

Glad I never got your name at the office holiday gift exchange;)

:LOL: Believe me, I understand!

I always got stuff like that at things like that, which is why I hated holiday gift exchanges at w*rk. I always smiled, ooh-ed and ah-ed, and thanked the giver politely with a big smile, and without even a hint that it was headed for the trash can as soon as possible. I hate having to be so hypocritical just to be polite, though!

Oh, and I don't even like the idea of cheap wine, for myself anyway - - out it goes to the trash, because as you all know, I don't drink (or serve wine in my home). No totes, no chocolates for me.

A single long-stemmed rose would be a nice, inexpensive (I think?) present that I would like.

Last edited:
W2R said:
....no chocolates for me.

A single long-stemmed rose would be a nice, inexpensive (I think?) present that I would like.

Okay, you send me the chocolates, I'll send you a rose.

I think a gift to a charity in someone's name is a great gift!

Yesterday, I was at Wal-Mart and a local charity group was collecting presents for poor children in our community. Well known group I'm familiar with. Several moms and a bunch of kids in Santa hats. The kids were so enthusiastic! They passed out a wish list of things kids want so, if you desired, you could get something to donate. I bought a plush animal - the large kind that's like a pillow -and gave it to them. Nope, it wasn't a cat ;) - it was a dog with a big red bow around his neck. It was only $10.97. Made me feel good to think of a child getting that on Christmas Day. Sure made me feel better than the $10 DH and I wasted on the lottery:facepalm:

Amazon's Gift List feature is one way to learn what gifts recipients actually want.

I actually liked the iPhone prop/stand on that list but not really any of the others. Except the chocolate of course!

I agree that consumables are far better than things, in nearly every case. I've worked most of today decluttering just a few drawers in our house and threw away legions of stuff.

An I second the liquor or alcohol gifts for those who imbibe. A great gift! If your store sells mini bottles, you can do a theme gift of sorts with a handful of them and the right mixers.

And then there are the diabetics and others, who can't use the homemade goodies. And the people who can't have alcohol, or whose religion forbids it...It's a shame that when you don't know people very well, yet are expected to give them something, you can't just give them a $10 bill. Not a $10 gift card (may not be to a store they like; and you can't buy anything thing without adding some of your own $).

I never heard of a person who dislikes money, or cannot use it for health or religious reasons. But our society frowns on $ gifts for some reason...

Amethyst

I actually liked the iPhone prop/stand on that list but not really any of the others. Except the chocolate of course!

I agree that consumables are far better than things, in nearly every case. I've worked most of today decluttering just a few drawers in our house and threw away legions of stuff.

I can remember way back when, when the perfect gift for almost any adult was a carton of cigarettes.

I like to gift charitable donations for people who have everything they need. Consumables are good too, but you have to choose wisely based on quality, allergies, dietary restrictions, etc. if I were a good cook I might gift my homemade goodies, because for someone I care about it would be a pleasure to spend my time making a gift for them. Unfortunately my closest friend has a son who is a chef, so I could never compete!

I want to buy some women I supervise a token gift but not food and very cheap. I am thinking Poinsettia plants for their desk. One women is dieting, one being tested for diabetes and one too skinny from bad nerves another is a temp working with two of the others so a plant for each office is 3 plants for 4 women or I could get the temp her own plant to take home. The plants will be dead by New Years since we get 4 holidays where the offices will not be heated. Nothing to regift or worry about keeping around not to hurt feelings. They could take them home, I don't care, it is the thought that counts.

What does everyone (OP included of course!) think of the gift which consists of a card, stating that the giver has given "in your name" 1/8 of a cow (or something) to a 4th world village?

On the one hand, charitable giving is always good.

On the other, is it really a gift? You didn't pick the charity, may or may not care about the cause, and the giver gets the tax write-off, which makes it slightly self-serving.

Just wondering if this is a good option for OP to consider.

Amethyst

What does everyone (OP included of course!) think of the gift which consists of a card, stating that the giver has given "in your name" 1/8 of a cow (or something) to a 4th world village?

On the other, is it really a gift? You didn't pick the charity, may or may not care about the cause, and the giver gets the tax write-off, which makes it slightly self-serving.

Amethyst

I'm a volunteer at an animal shelter and we get lots of donations where the donor is giving it in someone else's honor. The most frequent reason is the death of a friend or relative's pet but we also get "gift" donations for many other reasons. We sure do appreciate these funds and always send a nice letter to let people know money has been donated in their honor or in the memory of a loved one - human or pet.

I've had the same thought. It's perhaps even less beneficial to the recipient than a note such as, "Happy Day! I've paid my taxes this year in your name to help fund your (pick one) social security / unemployment benefits / food stamps / etc. You're welcome!"

Amethyst said:

Amethyst

Sometimes it is the gift that keeps on giving with solitications. Personally I'd rather just dispense with the gift giving and make my own charity donations but not in others' names.

Back
Top Bottom