Join Early Retirement Today

Gift ideas - cheap but unique
Old 12-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Gift ideas - cheap but unique

Before its too late, I gotta start thinking about the gifts. I am not going to give big gifts but small, cheap and unique. Google led me to MintLife Blog | Personal Finance News & Advice | 10 Holiday Gifts for $10 or Less

Pretty cool ideas. I wonder if any one of you know such unique products.

Thanks in advance.
noelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm afraid I cannot be of any help. If I received any if the presents listed, they would be in the trash by the end of the day. Guess I am too picky.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Some of those are fun--who knew salt boxes were a cool kitchen accessory. I would definitely regift the book, flashcards, toothbrush, iphone prop, etc. The chocolates would never make it to the giftee . In fact, I have made my own candy and liqueurs to give away (after a little sampling) and may again next year.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Administrator

The other day DW and I spent a few hours at my Moms house throwing out junk removing unused items from her kitchen cabinets. Some of those items were gifts I gave that resemble things found on the link.

No more gifts for me, thanks, and now I try to limit my gift giving to things that can be consumed.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

These are adult stocking stuffers. Nothing wrong with that.

They are also suitable, IMHO, for workplace-party gift exchanges (those events where you are supposed to steal the gift you like better, and later on the person who opened it tries to steal it back, and everyone is filled with merriment as a result)

An observation: I've been forced to attend more of these events than I can count, and every time, it's the <$10 bottles of wine that are consistently coveted and re-stolen. This gives, perhaps, some insight into the average person's preference when it comes to inexpensive gifts. (Edit by author: This seems to hold true across ages 20-60, at least at work). Therefore, unless your recipients are tee-totallers, I would give a <$10 bottle of decent wine (do a little research; some cheap wine is way better than others).

Just my $.02. In the end, people are pleased that you thought of them.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelm View Post
Before its too late, I gotta start thinking about the gifts. I am not going to give big gifts but small, cheap and unique. Google led me to MintLife Blog | Personal Finance News & Advice | 10 Holiday Gifts for $10 or Less

Pretty cool ideas. I wonder if any one of you know such unique products.

Thanks in advance.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

I like the tote , the book & the toothbrushes . I keep totes in my car . They are great for groceries especially at places like Aldi's that does not have bags .I do agree with Amethyst that a bottle of wine is a great gift or a bouquet of flowers.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm afraid I cannot be of any help. If I received any if the presents listed, they would be in the trash by the end of the day. Guess I am too picky.
Glad I never got your name at the office holiday gift exchange
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wholeheartedly agree with the wine idea. In fact, this afternoon I am going to the liquor store to pick up a half a dozen assorted bottles to give as gifts. I have a retired co-worked I need to visit sometime this month (she likes sweet "pop" wines), a friend's party to attend on Friday night (she likes better sweet reds), a cousin dropping by over the week-end (she likes expensive dry reds), and so it goes.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:03 AM   #9

For some, a lottery ticket makes a nice (very cheap but still appreciated) gift.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #10

I would also prefer to receive consumables like wine, chocolate, caramels, home baked cookies, pies, etc. I appreciate the thought, but am tired of knick knack gifts.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg
I like the tote , the book & the toothbrushes . I keep totes in my car . They are great for groceries especially at places like Aldi's that does not have bags .I do agree with Amethyst that a bottle of wine is a great gift or a bouquet of flowers.
You send me the chocolates and I'll send you the tote .
Old 12-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Glad I never got your name at the office holiday gift exchange
Believe me, I understand!

I always got stuff like that at things like that, which is why I hated holiday gift exchanges at w*rk. I always smiled, ooh-ed and ah-ed, and thanked the giver politely with a big smile, and without even a hint that it was headed for the trash can as soon as possible. I hate having to be so hypocritical just to be polite, though!

Oh, and I don't even like the idea of cheap wine, for myself anyway - - out it goes to the trash, because as you all know, I don't drink (or serve wine in my home). No totes, no chocolates for me.

A single long-stemmed rose would be a nice, inexpensive (I think?) present that I would like.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

....no chocolates for me.

A single long-stemmed rose would be a nice, inexpensive (I think?) present that I would like.
Okay, you send me the chocolates, I'll send you a rose.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I think a gift to a charity in someone's name is a great gift!

Yesterday, I was at Wal-Mart and a local charity group was collecting presents for poor children in our community. Well known group I'm familiar with. Several moms and a bunch of kids in Santa hats. The kids were so enthusiastic! They passed out a wish list of things kids want so, if you desired, you could get something to donate. I bought a plush animal - the large kind that's like a pillow -and gave it to them. Nope, it wasn't a cat - it was a dog with a big red bow around his neck. It was only $10.97. Made me feel good to think of a child getting that on Christmas Day. Sure made me feel better than the $10 DH and I wasted on the lottery
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Okay, you send me the chocolates, I'll send you a rose.
It's a deal!

Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #16

Amazon's Gift List feature is one way to learn what gifts recipients actually want.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I actually liked the iPhone prop/stand on that list but not really any of the others. Except the chocolate of course!

I agree that consumables are far better than things, in nearly every case. I've worked most of today decluttering just a few drawers in our house and threw away legions of stuff.

An I second the liquor or alcohol gifts for those who imbibe. A great gift! If your store sells mini bottles, you can do a theme gift of sorts with a handful of them and the right mixers.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

And then there are the diabetics and others, who can't use the homemade goodies. And the people who can't have alcohol, or whose religion forbids it...It's a shame that when you don't know people very well, yet are expected to give them something, you can't just give them a $10 bill. Not a $10 gift card (may not be to a store they like; and you can't buy anything thing without adding some of your own $).

I never heard of a person who dislikes money, or cannot use it for health or religious reasons. But our society frowns on $ gifts for some reason...

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I actually liked the iPhone prop/stand on that list but not really any of the others. Except the chocolate of course!

I agree that consumables are far better than things, in nearly every case. I've worked most of today decluttering just a few drawers in our house and threw away legions of stuff.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I can remember way back when, when the perfect gift for almost any adult was a carton of cigarettes.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I like to gift charitable donations for people who have everything they need. Consumables are good too, but you have to choose wisely based on quality, allergies, dietary restrictions, etc. if I were a good cook I might gift my homemade goodies, because for someone I care about it would be a pleasure to spend my time making a gift for them. Unfortunately my closest friend has a son who is a chef, so I could never compete!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote