Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2021, 07:46 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At our extended family Christmas, we have drawn names, so each person buys one gift. It has turned into mostly exchanging gift cards. Not much thought in that. At this years' get together we decided to stop that and next year, just pool our money. Each person will put the name of their favorite charity in a hat, and we will pull 2 or 3 names, split the pot and send that amount off to the charity.

For our immediate family, we draw names and have to make a thoughtful gift for the person drawn. That has been difficult but fun as we cannot ask the recipient what they would like made. This year I am making a knotted throw pillow for my homemade gift. I don't sew but I have an expert (can I use that word?) to direct me.

In both groups, the children all get gifts until they graduate high school. After that, they are in the hat for gifting/making.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2021, 08:45 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

How about making a snappish (or other) photo book of a trip you took together.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:18 AM   #43

We give our son and his wife some cash; they are expected to put it in their 3 kids' 529 plan. Then they get the PA state income tax deduction. We also give the kids and grandkids a few things to open.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:16 AM   #44

I think a gift of experiences you can enjoy together is a win-win gift. Also something you make for them, especially something sentimental. My best friend of 25 years made me a photo book last year that had photos going back to the beginning of our friendship. I love it! Best gift ever.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 01:42 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We just ask each other for lists. I could do without exchanging gifts but I think our adult kids still enjoy it. I try to give and ask for consumables, experiences or small gifts that don't take up a lot of space, like jewelry, wine, chocolates, event tickets, gift cards, fancy soaps, scarves, fun socks and candles.

Plus we usually host and cover all the nice restaurant meals out, happy hours, entertainment etc. for the family holiday events.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:33 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

We no longer give habitual gifts to our grown children since they turned adult. We just don't know what to get them.

Occasionally, we may spot something that we think they can use. For example, a few days ago, we happened to see some nice baking trays, bought three sets for ourselves and for them too. And my wife spotted a playhouse for cats, and as my son and daughter are both cat owners, bought them for our "grandcats" (my daughter's word).

We gave the gifts at our family dinner yesterday, and they were happy to receive them. It's just what they happened to be able to use and not something expensive. The gifts were not meant to be Christmas gifts, and just something we happened to run across.

For our younger nephews and nieces still in college, we give them $100 each semester when their parents say they get good grades.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 09:47 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

For my last Christmas at Megacorp, my manager sent all of his direct reports a Fruit Company gift tower. We thought this was a great gift, particularly if one likes a lot of boxes under the tree, and the fruit and snacks were very good. We have given this at times to people and it has always been appreciated.

Since the pandemic these seem to have grown in popularity. Before the pandemic they were still in stock 4-5 days before Christmas, now they seem to sell out by the first week of December.

Another option, if thew person does need anything but is a sports enthusiast, is some sports merchandise for their favorite team.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:54 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Here we are in the "Giving Season" and how do you give/gift to people that have everything or can buy anything they want?

My son and his wife have been blessed with great careers with large incomes. Of course, they don't skimp and can buy whatever they need.

I'm very proud of their success in life but when it comes to giving them something for a gift, it is impossible to get something they don't have or can buy themselves.

Giving them money is fine but they don't need more money either.

So, what do you folks do for someone that has everything?
We have found the Google photo books to be good gifts. I imagine Apple has something like it. Very easy to do from Google photos. The whole cycle from launching an order to the recipient getting it seems to take about 10 days. A unique gift with a personal touch. We have a friend who no longer lives near us who loves our kitty so I made him a book of just kitty pictures. He loved it.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 10:43 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

That attitude does not garner you a wedge of my Courvoisier-soaked fruitcake. No worries; others are glad to get it.

Store-bought fruitcakes, made with "candied fruit," aren't very good; how could they be, really? Just like those butter cookies in the tin which look pretty, but all taste alike - awful.

Homemade is a whole different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtoride View Post
I never knew anyone who ATE a fruitcake (or admitted it)! LOL
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 11:29 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
That attitude does not garner you a wedge of my Courvoisier-soaked fruitcake. No worries; others are glad to get it.

Store-bought fruitcakes, made with "candied fruit," aren't very good; how could they be, really? Just like those butter cookies in the tin which look pretty, but all taste alike - awful.

I guess I've never had the REAL THING, a homemade liquor infused fruit cake. Sounds much better!

How many do you make for the holidays?
Happy Holidays!
Luvtoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

When I was a kid, Mom would make fruitcakes and mail them. I can't imagine what that would cost now. They did include candied fruit but she used a dark batter that wasn't as cloyingly sweet as the commercial fruitcakes. She may have soaked hers in rum; Courvoisier would not have been in the budget. I agree- no comparison between a good homemade recipe and the commercial fruitcakes.

And yes, I agree about the "butter" cookies in the tin- awful! I'm not Martha Stewart but I bake darn good cookies with real ingredients.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 11:22 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I've gotten shirts over the past few years, they are still in the boxes. I already have a huge number of shirts, probably ~150.

I tell everyone not to get me anything as I have too much stuff already.

I wish someone would give me fruitcake instead of a shirt.
I especially like the dark cake, and if it has that icing on top that is fine, as I can eat as much/less of the icing as desired.

When we cleared out DFIL's house, we found packages of shirts and socks people had given him as presents. We donated those.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:17 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I just used one of the unused Dad gifts yesterday- an air compressor for filling my tires. When I got it after Dad sold his car, the box was unopened.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:35 AM   #54

In National Lampoon's honor. Full year subscription to jelly of the month club.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:45 PM   #55
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
An experience - with them.

Take them to a museum, for a hike to a lake, go fishing, horseback riding, paddle boat, take a canoe down a little river, and then all go out to eat together.

In other words, a fun experience. Make some memories.
Yes! That!
freedom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
time and little things
Old 12-21-2021, 04:00 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

time and little things

one grown son and his wife are financially very well-off so we dog sit for for them when they want to vacation (they live out of town so I'll go pick up the dog) and no grandkids and don't foresee any), help with house maintenance when they ask, and I make custom greeting cards for their special occasions (birthdays, anniversary, etc). second son and GF are doing pretty well but not as much as first son and they live in town, so for them similar - dog sitting, helping when they need it at the house, cards. occasionally we'll ask if they want something, but that usually comes back to "a gift card to xxx store please", which is fine.
frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:04 PM   #57
Dryer sheet wannabe

I've hinted but it does not work. How about taking my car to the car wash? Last year I gave 29 people (children, grandchildren, great grandchildren) each multiple gifts. Wrapping took forever Think I got one? thank you. This year, I cut it down to 9 people. Except for two little ones, it is gift cards in a pretty box.
TXBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:16 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
So, what do you folks do for someone that has everything?

Years ago I gave a friend one of those 'digital photo frames'. I had pictures of him and his family from knowing them for some time. Put them in just the right order...and some photoshop magic. They loved it. Didn't cost much, but went up on the wall in their living room. Was also something they could add to when they had new pics.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 04:18 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I totally agree with edibles and experiences. My family stopped exchanging gifts years ago, but my 18-year-old is exchanging gifts with friends this year and suddenly wants to get me something. I asked if he could pick up my favorite chocolate cake for Christmas dinner. It is a two-hour round trip. He's happy he can do something he knows will make me happy. My mom is no longer eligible for physical therapy under her insurance, so I just ordered physical therapy sessions for my mother with her favorite therapist.
HMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Time
Old 12-21-2021, 05:12 PM   #60
Confused about dryer sheets

Time

Give them the gift of time.

Offer to watch a sunset with them or rake some leaves or just take a walk.

Great reminder that enjoying life and time together is the BEST gift.
jburk is offline   Reply With Quote