Giving/gifting to someone that doesn't need it?

That attitude does not garner you a wedge of my Courvoisier-soaked fruitcake. No worries; others are glad to get it.

Store-bought fruitcakes, made with "candied fruit," aren't very good; how could they be, really? Just like those butter cookies in the tin which look pretty, but all taste alike - awful.

Homemade is a whole different story.

When I was a kid, Mom would make fruitcakes and mail them. I can't imagine what that would cost now. They did include candied fruit but she used a dark batter that wasn't as cloyingly sweet as the commercial fruitcakes. She may have soaked hers in rum; Courvoisier would not have been in the budget. I agree- no comparison between a good homemade recipe and the commercial fruitcakes.

And yes, I agree about the "butter" cookies in the tin- awful! I'm not Martha Stewart but I bake darn good cookies with real ingredients.

I've gotten shirts over the past few years, they are still in the boxes. I already have a huge number of shirts, probably ~150.

I tell everyone not to get me anything as I have too much stuff already.

I wish someone would give me fruitcake instead of a shirt.
I especially like the dark cake, and if it has that icing on top that is fine, as I can eat as much/less of the icing as desired.

When we cleared out DFIL's house, we found packages of shirts and socks people had given him as presents. We donated those.

I just used one of the unused Dad gifts yesterday- an air compressor for filling my tires. When I got it after Dad sold his car, the box was unopened.

An experience - with them.

Take them to a museum, for a hike to a lake, go fishing, horseback riding, paddle boat, take a canoe down a little river, and then all go out to eat together.

In other words, a fun experience. Make some memories.
Yes! That!

time and little things

one grown son and his wife are financially very well-off so we dog sit for for them when they want to vacation (they live out of town so I'll go pick up the dog) and no grandkids and don't foresee any), help with house maintenance when they ask, and I make custom greeting cards for their special occasions (birthdays, anniversary, etc). second son and GF are doing pretty well but not as much as first son and they live in town, so for them similar - dog sitting, helping when they need it at the house, cards. occasionally we'll ask if they want something, but that usually comes back to "a gift card to xxx store please", which is fine.

I've hinted but it does not work. How about taking my car to the car wash? Last year I gave 29 people (children, grandchildren, great grandchildren) each multiple gifts. Wrapping took forever Think I got one? thank you. This year, I cut it down to 9 people. Except for two little ones, it is gift cards in a pretty box.

So, what do you folks do for someone that has everything?

Years ago I gave a friend one of those 'digital photo frames'. I had pictures of him and his family from knowing them for some time. Put them in just the right order...and some photoshop magic. They loved it. Didn't cost much, but went up on the wall in their living room. Was also something they could add to when they had new pics.

I totally agree with edibles and experiences. My family stopped exchanging gifts years ago, but my 18-year-old is exchanging gifts with friends this year and suddenly wants to get me something. I asked if he could pick up my favorite chocolate cake for Christmas dinner. It is a two-hour round trip. He's happy he can do something he knows will make me happy. My mom is no longer eligible for physical therapy under her insurance, so I just ordered physical therapy sessions for my mother with her favorite therapist.

Time

Give them the gift of time.

Offer to watch a sunset with them or rake some leaves or just take a walk.

Great reminder that enjoying life and time together is the BEST gift.

Fruitcake

Seriously, I love a homemade fruitcake. Tried the fancy commercial ones but they are nothing like a good one that is homemade. I make one or two a year, no nuts only fruit, let age wrapped in bourbon soaked cheesecloth for at least one month before consuming. Best flavor after aging at room temp 3 to 6 months.

The fruitcake I make, IMO, is better than Collins Street bakery. But I don't care for the nuts and that's why I only use fruit in mine. Maybe it's the nuts people don't like.

How about making a snappish (or other) photo book of a trip you took together.

This is an excellent idea! The most meaningful and memorable gift I ever received was a photo book that my daughter had made from Shutterfly or similar service of our trip to Japan to visit the grandchildren. I was so touched, I had a mini breakdown.

Here we are in the "Giving Season" and how do you give/gift to people that have everything or can buy anything they want?

My son and his wife have been blessed with great careers with large incomes. Of course, they don't skimp and can buy whatever they need.

I'm very proud of their success in life but when it comes to giving them something for a gift, it is impossible to get something they don't have or can buy themselves.

Giving them money is fine but they don't need more money either.

So, what do you folks do for someone that has everything?

Some of your time, experience, insight, attention and approbation.

Then again, they may not want it.

This is an excellent idea! The most meaningful and memorable gift I ever received was a photo book that my daughter had made from Shutterfly or similar service of our trip to Japan to visit the grandchildren. I was so touched, I had a mini breakdown.

I did this for my in-laws once and they loved it. In fact, they loved it so much that they started doing it after each trip, so that gift idea was taken.

My father can buy anything he wants. For Christmas a few years ago I brought him a windshield wiper and a hacksaw blade. We used a bench grinder to turn them into a lock picking set and I taught him how to use it. He said it was a good gift and he actually used it to unlock someone's 5th wheel at a campsite about 6 months later.

Kind of how we did it:
https://youtu.be/eCXSiiNEMSE

For my daughter's birthday each year, I do a project at her house (with her help). One year it was building faux beams in her livingroom ceiling, another year we built cabinets around her washer and dryer, etc. It allows us to spend time together and we both enjoy projects. I wouldn't trade that time together for the world.

For my daughter's birthday each year, I do a project at her house (with her help). One year it was building faux beams in her livingroom ceiling, another year we built cabinets around her washer and dryer, etc. It allows us to spend time together and we both enjoy projects. I wouldn't trade that time together for the world.
I dont need anything and I would love this. I want not need waisncoting in my foyer. And want not need a new master vanity. All very DIYable with help.

Back
Top Bottom