Giving up on internet news

Status
Not open for further replies.

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Just too many "impossible to avoid" ads. Obnoxious.

I must be alone, because it's getting worse.

Can't believe this is paying off for advertisers...

I guess they won't miss me. :(

I'm looking for a good source of non-biased not to ad loaded news source.. I'm giving Reuters a shot at the moment. Not noticing a lot of pop-ups.

There is no single such source AFAIK.

Nope. It’s just pick your biased news, or sometimes “news” source based on your political bubble, then call everybody who chooses differently “gullible sheep”.

AP did not appear to be unbiased in covering the Kavanaugh hearings for example. But less bias than many sources I would say. UPI similar in my mind.

I would note the most pernicious form of bias is deciding what to cover.

There are no good choices, IMHO. Even fabled NPR offers 'news' that includes editorial comments, errors, or leaves out facts that do not support the reporter's spin. Sometimes all three are there. Very sad.

Personally I like to gather my news from a variety of sources, with multiple different "leanings" - because the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

One can always search out the source that matches ones own worldview, but then one tends to never have to think differently, or consider alternate takes. My twitter feed includes left and right and mainstream, because I don't want to just sit in an echo chamber. Of course if one believes their beliefs are never to be questioned, just pick one channel/site, and throw away the remote.

As far as news sites, ad block and incognito browsing are good friends.

I've stopped watching the national news.I don't want politics 24/7/365.There are other things going on in the world. When something big happens that the media covers, I'll tune in.

I watch the local news on TV. Gives me the weather, local news and events, and just a bit of the national junkyard.

I haven't gone to zero, but I watch and read far less news than I did a year ago and prior. I just got to the point where I couldn't reconcile anything I was reading/viewing so I bowed out. When you watch/read the major news feeds, it's like two completely different worlds. Now, I just watch the local news and the thing I actually pay attention to is the weather. While not extreamly accurate, it doesn't seem to have any built in bias that I can detect. :)

I've stopped watching the national news.I don't want politics 24/7/365.There are other things going on in the world. When something big happens that the media covers, I'll tune in.

Same here, and many of my friends are practicing the same sanity. Also, we have cancelled the Houston Chronicle as many of my friends and neighbors have done.

We subscribe digitally to our local newspaper. In addition to international, national and local news, their op-ed pages feature columnists representing a broad spectrum.

With everything being so polarized it is difficult to hear respectful viewpoints or have a discussion to debate viewpoints.

:dance: :dance::LOL::LOL: :D :D:cool:

'The word is not the thing.'

1964 I took Communications 101 at the UW. One text was Language in Thought and Action.

I have recently bought a paperback of 5th edition. Makes me chuckle when I channel surf the news.

heh heh heh - :greetings10:

I had a minor in Journalism in college. I know now that I was completely wasting my time and tuition.

I try to stay away from any political activity in any news. Keeps my blood pressure down.

I put this in the pet peeve thread but I am tired of all the 'news' that have 80% or more tweets from people with their opinion about the story... really? all these tweets are news? NOPE, they are OPINIONS...

Yahoo news has a bunch of these but I do not think they originate from Yahoo..

OHHHH, the newest thing that is getting to me is where they have a video add at the top and you cannot scroll down without it popping back up to that ad!!! Even after the add you cannot scroll down to read the story...

Just too many "impossible to avoid" ads. Obnoxious.

I must be alone, because it's getting worse.

Can't believe this is paying off for advertisers...

I guess they won't miss me. :(
It's been tough to find any good news source lately, internet or not. The lack of good news coverage has been especially tough for a former "news addict" like me!

Personally I like to gather my news from a variety of sources, with multiple different "leanings" - because the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

I use this approach as well and it’s amazing how the same event is so differently characterized depending on the news organization - but it helps me sort of chart the middle where most of the truth seems to be (IMHO)

I dread the upcoming election coverage and have decided a better use of time would be to read the classics. So I’m noodling about for some good titles/authors and so far have Montaigne and Thoreau on the list.

I sometimes look at allsides.com. They show how major stories are covered by the variety of news outlets left, center, and right. At least one can see the differing views on a story from one place and make an assessment. They also rate the "bias" of each news source (their board is made up of folks across the left-center-right spectrum).

Just to show that things are a bit biased, here is a description of a story I heard last week or so.

They were talking about the need for money for infrastructure... they were showing school buildings that were over 100 years old with leaks etc. etc. all over and how bad it is for the students... the piece was to try and get people to say 'we have to do something' so they can get fed money...

Well, the first thing I was thinking was why isn't the school district paying for this? Our school district pays for all of the new schools and to rebuild older ones (our local high school was just rebuild)... then they slipped it in with a quick sentence... the local district had voted DOWN a bond issue to pay for the upgrades... it was short and you might have missed it if you were not paying attention...

No, I do not want to pay for your schools if you are not willing to pay yourself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom