Glasses Revelation

If I'm too far away from the computer screen while web browsing a small font site, I hit "control +" a couple of times. "control 0" (zero) will put it back. This is Firefox, but I think other browsers too.

I didn't actually know you could do that. Thanks.

If you're shaving with an electric razor, you might lean up close to the mirror to get a good view. But, you'll be looking through the top of your bifocals.

So, with the other hand, lift up the glasses and inch, and you will be looking though the close vision part of the lens.

And with your third hand, stretch the skin to get the razor closer to the beard.:D

Another vision-related revelation. I was reading, and suddenly the image of the words on the page got better. What had happened?

I'd raised my eyebrows! It seems my old-geezer bushy eyebrows were getting in the way! They were close enough to my eye to be out of focus, so I didn't notice.

So, with some careful eyebrow manscaping, and a continual surprised expression (should I get botox?) I can improve my reading experience. Yay.

Another vision-related revelation. I was reading, and suddenly the image of the words on the page got better. What had happened?

I'd raised my eyebrows! It seems my old-geezer bushy eyebrows were getting in the way! They were close enough to my eye to be out of focus, so I didn't notice.

So, with some careful eyebrow manscaping, and a continual surprised expression (should I get botox?) I can improve my reading experience. Yay.

Just think what you could do if you got rid of your merkin...

Okay, here's another: "Eye Floaters" are remnants of the hyaloid membrane. They float around inside your eyeball. They become more prominent as you age.

Sometimes one gets right in my line of vision, and it tracks right along the words I'm reading.

The solution is to flick your eyes up quickly and back, displacing the floater. Don't do this in public or someone will think you're having a seizure.

Another glasses revelation today. I was cutting a piece of wood with a jigsaw today. The wood had been on the ground. I was wearing my polycarbonate-lens regular glasses.

Somehow a small pebble or other hard thing flew up, got past my glasses, and zinged me in the inner corner of my eye (my one good eye). It didn't hit the cornea, but it stung. No permanent damage.

So, regular glasses are not enough. I have safety goggles that are totally enclosed and have rubber strap, but rarely wear them because they fog up.

I just ordered these:

Uvex S0250X Ultra-spec 2000 Safety Eyewear, Clear Frame, Clear UV Extreme Anti-Fog Lens - Safety Glasses - Amazon.com

Got the glasses today. Very nice, except that the bifocal line is too high for using at the computer unless I slide them to the tip of my nose. I'll have to see if that's too annoying.

Got the glasses today. Very nice, except that the bifocal line is too high for using at the computer unless I slide them to the tip of my nose. I'll have to see if that's too annoying.

Is this with progressive lenses or with regular bifocals?

This process is getting really old. Plus there are other problems like not being able to see the dashboard when driving. I'd like to have one pair of glasses that I wear all the time for all activities. My optometrist recommended a very expensive set of premium progressive lenses. It has wider fields of view and is customized based on my frame size and the percentage of time doing different activities. It's $700 for just the lenses. And from what I've read, a large percentage of people do not adapt to them very well. So for now, I've been hesitant to drop that kind of cash, and instead keep 3 or 4 pair of $10 reading glasses lying around. Maybe, that'll be my Christmas present.
I have a pair of single vision lenses that I wear for driving and watching TV. I have another pair just for reading. And I have another pair just for the computer. Three different prescriptions. I also have a bad case of strabismus (lazy eye, lack of binocular vision), so I find bifocals and progressive lenses to be just too difficult to use. Luckily I found that I can buy cheap glasses on Zenni.com. Seriously cheap.

Reading this thread reminds me it's only three days until Thanksgiving, with the inevitable "organ recital" responses from my geriatric relatives answering to "How have you been?".

Thanks to REWahoo, it's going to be much worse this year. I will struggle mightily to avoid responding with "Just think what you could do if you got rid of your merkin."

Is this with progressive lenses or with regular bifocals?

Regular.

And it turns out, the new glasses work fine at the computer. I guess I've automatically adjusted how I hold my neck. It has truly saved me a lot of time and bother in terms of switching and always having the wrong glasses on.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I've had progressives for my last two or three pairs of glasses. They work well after a couple days acclimation.

Regular.

And it turns out, the new glasses work fine at the computer. I guess I've automatically adjusted how I hold my neck. It has truly saved me a lot of time and bother in terms of switching and always having the wrong glasses on.

I am going to get an eye exam on Tuesday just so I can get something like this (although I'll probably do progressive). I plan to just keep them at the computer and use my regular drug store readers everywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom