Join Early Retirement Today

Glasses Revelation
Old 11-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Glasses Revelation

For years I've had the annoyance that when I'm wearing my computer/piano glasses and I need to read something not on the computer, I have to switch to my bifocal normal vision/reading glasses.

Then I realized I can avoid this by getting some bifocals with the computer glass prescription on the top, and reading on the bottom.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
For years I've had the annoyance that when I'm wearing my computer/piano glasses and I need to read something not on the computer, I have to switch to my bifocal normal vision/reading glasses.

Then I realized I can avoid this by getting some bifocals with the computer glass prescription on the top, and reading on the bottom.
So if you stand up to go to the John, you walk into the wall?
Old 11-15-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Trifocals, anybody?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

What's the difference between computer glasses and reading glasses. I've used the same glasses for everything the last 26 years. Have I been doing it wrong
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I think it is common for people that work overhead (think welders / plumbers) to have the two corrections reversed.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
What's the difference between computer glasses and reading glasses. I've used the same glasses for everything the last 26 years. Have I been doing it wrong
Reading glasses are strictly for reading something in your hands. Anything else (farther away) will be out of focus.
Computer glasses are strictly for reading the computer screen which is normally at a slightly greater distance from your eyes. Anything else (nearer or farther) will be out of focus.

Bifocals and trifocals give you the best of both by incorporating different prescriptions in different parts of the lenses.

I once had a friend who was a commercial airline pilot. He had flying glasses that had at least five different sections of the lenses with different prescriptions. They were made for the specific type of aircraft he flew and allowed him to see distance through the windshield while being able to read all his critical instruments (above, below, to the side) without moving his head.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Computer glasses are like bifocal or progressive lens glasses, with distance and reading correction areas. The distance correction, instead of focusing on things many feet away, focuses at a distance of about 30" away. The reading correction continues to focus at a distance of roughly 12" to 18" away, depending on how you and your optician work this out.

You can convert a normal prescription to a 'computer glasses' prescription pretty easily. The prescription has for each eye (OD and OS, right and left) a spherical correction, SPH ; an astigmatism correction with both a power CYL and orientation angle AXIS, and an ADD, an additional spherical correction value to be added in for the reading glasses portion of the lens.

Add +1 diopter to each of the spherical corrections, subtract 1 diopter from the ADD portion, and order a cheap pair from Zenni or a similar discount place to try them out.

My current prescription looks like
*SPHCYLAXISADD
OD-1.25-1.25088+2.50
OSPlano-1.25084+2.50
The computer glasses prescription looks like
*SPHCYLAXISADD
OD-0.25-1.25088+1.50
OS+1-1.25084+1.50

When ordering online, the computer systems don't like that negative OD and positive OS SPH correction, as that is very unusual for distance vision. I just persist and it eventually lets it through.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Reading glasses are strictly for reading something in your hands. Anything else (farther away) will be out of focus.

Computer glasses are strictly for reading the computer screen which is normally at a slightly greater distance from your eyes. Anything else (nearer or farther) will be out of focus.

Bifocals and trifocals give you the best of both by incorporating different prescriptions in different parts of the lenses.

I once had a friend who was a commercial airline pilot. He had flying glasses that had at least five different sections of the lenses with different prescriptions. They were made for the specific type of aircraft he flew and allowed him to see distance through the windshield while being able to read all his critical instruments (above, below, to the side) without moving his head.

I wear readers only when I am reading newspaper or on the computer. The aging process of eyes are a very individual thing I imagine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:41 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I think it is common for people that work overhead (think welders / plumbers) to have the two corrections reversed.
In building my house, I was trying to get a precise measurement above my head. I could not see the tape measure and could not tilt my head back enough to get the correct focus. I had to let the guy that has been helping me get the measurement. Maybe I should have tried putting my glasses on upside down?
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I used to fly--and had perfect eyesight.

When we got our first office computers with green screens, 100% of the people in our office were wearing glasses after the first year.

I'm now wearing bifocals, however they're not very strong. I just don't have good depth perception around sundown when driving--when not wearing those glasses.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I used to fly--and had perfect eyesight.
Same here. 20/13 until my mid-40s, then it all started going south in a hurry. I still see auto gauges and distance well enough to drive without glasses, but imagine that if I ever climb back in the cockpit I may have to give bifocals a try.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:55 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

You might look into the Shamir "Office Lenses". They are mildly progressive, with middle used for computer distance, bottom for reading, top for 10-12 feet. I've been using these for that past 4 years and rarely need to take them off while inside the house (I don't need distance correction yet). I'm very happy with them.

Regards,
Wino
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I don't think he's looking at reversing them. I think he has a set of computer glasses (~3' focus), and a set of reading glasses (~1' focus). So he's looking at bi-focal computer-top/reading bottom glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Trifocals, anybody?
The problem with trifocals is the 'sweet spot' keeps getting smaller. But that might be acceptable for some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
So if you stand up to go to the John, you walk into the wall?
But he'd have that problem anyway, with either computer or reading glasses. Trifocals are the solution to that problem, but with the potential sweet-spot problem I mentioned above.

I bought some of these, the reviews were mixed, but I've been pretty happy with them:

http://www.amazon.com/Adlens-Adjusta...Z4S0YDDKTHQZ76

It just seems that my close focus changes pretty quickly from when I get my prescription, and it seems to change as I tire at night. I can adjust these for each eye, to focus right in at the distance I'm holding whatever I'm reading at the moment, which can vary if I'm sitting up, laying down, etc.

Not quite so good for my computer use though - they seem to distort or magnify in a distracting way that I don't notice at reading distance. Maybe I'd get used to it. Heck, I'll try again now that it came up.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

With windows 10 and touch adjustable screens

I don't need any glasses anymore for my computer use
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
With windows 10 and touch adjustable screens

I don't need any glasses anymore for my computer use
I think we've identified the real target market for the iPad Pro and similar megatablets.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #16

I had cataract surgery a couple years ago, so distance is fine now, but I need reading glasses for anything within 2-3 feet. Problem is, I need 3 different strengths for different activities. For computer use, I have a pair of +1.25 sitting on the computer desk. The screen is just beyond arms length. For most reading (closer than arms length), I have a pair of +1.75 that are dangling around my neck at all times. Then, for really small print or close-up work, I have a pair of +2.50 in a kitchen drawer. I also have a pair of sunglasses with +2.25 bifocal readers built in, which is nice to read my cell phone outside with the sunglasses on.

This process is getting really old. Plus there are other problems like not being able to see the dashboard when driving. I'd like to have one pair of glasses that I wear all the time for all activities. My optometrist recommended a very expensive set of premium progressive lenses. It has wider fields of view and is customized based on my frame size and the percentage of time doing different activities. It's $700 for just the lenses. And from what I've read, a large percentage of people do not adapt to them very well. So for now, I've been hesitant to drop that kind of cash, and instead keep 3 or 4 pair of $10 reading glasses lying around. Maybe, that'll be my Christmas present.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
The problem with trifocals is the 'sweet spot' keeps getting smaller. But that might be acceptable for some.
-ERD50
I have progressive trifocals. The problem I have is the 'sweet spot' keeps moving down lower on the lenses so I have to tilt my head back to see the computer screen. When I start getting a crick in my neck, I know it is time for a new prescription!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #18

I have several shelves full of glasses of every variety, and use most of them regularly.
It's important to always serve your beer in the correct glass.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Types-of-Beer-Glasses.jpg (146.4 KB, 11 views)
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

DW failed her motorcycle class riding test largely because with her trifocals she had to tilt her head down to see out of the top part of the glasses (distance). The instructors kept yelling at her to keep her head up while turning. I think if she had explained it to them they might have understood and allowed her to pass. But all in all I think it was for the best.
Glasses Revelation
Old 11-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Glasses Revelation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I had cataract surgery a couple years ago, so distance is fine now, but I need reading glasses for anything within 2-3 feet. Problem is, I need 3 different strengths for different activities. For computer use, I have a pair of +1.25 sitting on the computer desk. The screen is just beyond arms length. For most reading (closer than arms length), I have a pair of +1.75 that are dangling around my neck at all times. Then, for really small print or close-up work, I have a pair of +2.50 in a kitchen drawer. I also have a pair of sunglasses with +2.25 bifocal readers built in, which is nice to read my cell phone outside with the sunglasses on.

This process is getting really old. Plus there are other problems like not being able to see the dashboard when driving. I'd like to have one pair of glasses that I wear all the time for all activities. My optometrist recommended a very expensive set of premium progressive lenses. It has wider fields of view and is customized based on my frame size and the percentage of time doing different activities. It's $700 for just the lenses. And from what I've read, a large percentage of people do not adapt to them very well. So for now, I've been hesitant to drop that kind of cash, and instead keep 3 or 4 pair of $10 reading glasses lying around. Maybe, that'll be my Christmas present.

Minus the cataract surgery, your situation may be a pretense for mine. Thanks for the gloomy story! ..... As of now an overpowered 2X readers do the trick for every type of reading or detailed inspection. I do not see how glasses will help. And no way do I want 3 or 4 section glasses to deal with. I will just keep scattering the readers around all over the house and car so a pair will always be nearby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote