Glenn Frey...dead at 67

Now they're getting into my territory. So sad.
I never got to see them in concert. Now I never can.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
It is sad, the Eagles were great. Rock & roll/celebrity can be a 'demanding' lifestyle I hear...

It is sad, the Eagles were great. Rock & roll/celebrity can be a 'demanding' lifestyle I hear...

Not sure that has anything to do with it, since Joe Walsh is still alive. Just the very sad luck of the draw. An amazing band, although I didn't like them back in the day. They kept getting country in my rock. But I grew to recognize their talents later. RIP, Glenn.

Finally had the chance to see the Eagles in 2004 in a smaller venue for a political candidate fund raiser. I didn't follow them too much in the 1970's, but always liked their music. I grew to appreciate them more as time went on. Another great talent gone too soon.

I've always liked the Eagles. Ever since the beginning. Still listen to their music almost daily. Glenn was one of favorites. RIP, Glenn.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

In late '72-early '73, I was a DJ at a small-town country-format radio station. I used to get myself in trouble for playing Eagles' singles...

It seems like we have a rash of boomer celebrities passing away recently. When I was a kid in the the 60-s 70's, I remember the big celebrities of the vaudeville era dying off one after the other. Finally there was just George Burns left. For the next generation after that, there is Betty White and a couple others still left. Which boomer celebrities besides Keith Richards (now 72) will still be around and active in their late 80's?

Not sure that has anything to do with it, since Joe Walsh is still alive.

And Keith Richards. Especially Keith Richards.

OK, God, Lemmie, Bowie, Frey and a couple of drummers, in the first 18 days of the new year. You have Your band. Can we stop it for a while, please?

It's clearly open season on rockers in their late 60s.

It seems like we have a rash of boomer celebrities passing away recently. When I was a kid in the the 60-s 70's, I remember the big celebrities of the vaudeville era dying off one after the other.

As I recall, 1977 was a horrible year for celebrity deaths. Elvis, Bing Crosby, Joan Crawford, Freddie Prinze, Peter Finch, Charlie Chaplin, Groucho Marx...

I bought the Eagles first LP when it was released I think in late 1971 or early 1972. Absolutely loved it; there wasn't a bad track on the whole album. Saw them in 1973 and the day I retired CITI FM in Winnipeg was playing "Already Gone" when I pulled into the parking lot at work. RIP. I will listen to that LP tonight.

http://eagles.com/news/266763

Last edited:
I always like The Eagles, after the split I continued to follow Don Henley more than Glenn, 67 WTF.

Thank you.

I don't know how I could have gotten through my divorce without that song, and copious tears while listening to it.
Well I know it wasn't you who held me down
Heaven knows it wasn't you who set me free
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

What a loss his death is to the world.

As I recall, 1977 was a horrible year for celebrity deaths. Elvis, Bing Crosby, Joan Crawford, Freddie Prinze, Peter Finch, Charlie Chaplin, Groucho Marx...

A friend of mine follows a 'celebrity death pool' site. He's always telling us the odds of this person or that person. I've never checked it out (too morbid), but here is a link about the concept Celebrity death pool betting – harmless fun or bad karma?

67 - Goodbye Hotel California ... wow - Glenn Fray 67, David Bowie 69, Alan Rickman 69 ... could not collect Social Security at 70. Make sense to collect SS at 62 or 63, no later.

67 - Goodbye Hotel California ... wow - Glenn Fray 67, David Bowie 69, Alan Rickman 69 ... could not collect Social Security at 70. Make sense to collect SS at 62 or 63, no later.

If you know you have a medical condition, of course you would take it sooner. Unless you wanted to leave a survivor benefit as large as possible. It just depends.

I don't think anybody on that list was worried about SS.

I don't think anybody on that list was worried about SS.

David Bowie was a UK subject and a legal resident of Switzerland (though he did have a home in the US). Would he have qualified for US social security?

Alan Rickman was a UK subject resident in the UK. Very unlikely that he would have qualified for US social security.

Glenn Frey was a US citizen and resident. Had he lived, he would have had US social security to look forward to.

Not sure that has anything to do with it, since Joe Walsh is still alive. Just the very sad luck of the draw. An amazing band, although I didn't like them back in the day. They kept getting country in my rock. But I grew to recognize their talents later. RIP, Glenn.
Actually Frey and Henley's cocaine, alcohol and other excesses throughout the 70's/early 80's are well documented, in their own words later in life. That takes a toll. But it's sad regardless...

But the Eagles, in a statement released Wednesday, said that Frey, 66, has had a recurrence of “previous intestinal issues, which will require major surgery and a lengthy recovery period.”

Those issues date back to the 1980s, when Frey spoke about the damage he believed he had done to his body during the band’s heyday, when drugs and alcohol flowed freely.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...surgery-band-to-put-off-kennedy-center-honor/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom