GM Manual Transmissions - Who would have thought?

ArmchairMillionaire23

Recycles dryer sheets
As a long-time General Motors vehicle buyer, I find it interesting to note that Chevrolet, the "Budget" nameplate produced their last manual-transmission vehicle back in December of 2023 with the end of production of the Camaro. Now, if you want a GM product with a manual transmission, you need to step up to a Cadillac.

Cadillac still offers (for now) the CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing models with a 6-speed manual transmission. The Cheapest CT4-V Blackwing starts at $61,495 and the cheapest CT5-V Blackwing starts at $93,495.

Just think, it used to be you ordered a manual transmission to save a few bucks. Now you have to shell out big buck$ to row-your-own gears if you want to buy a GM product.

For non-GM people...

Furd will still sell you a Mustang with a 6-speed and a Bronco with a 7-speed manual transmission.
Mopar offers the Jeep Gladiator and Wrangler with manual transmissions.
Lots of foreign vehicles available.

Here's the entire list for 2024 vehicles:

Every Manual Transmission Car Available For 2024
2024 Acura Integra
2024 BMW M2
2024 BMW M3 and 2024 BMW M4
2025 BMW Z4
2024 Cadillac CT4 V-Series Blackwing Sedan
2024 Cadillac CT5 V-Series Blackwing Sedan
[-]2024 Chevrolet Camaro[/-]
2024 Ford Bronco
2024 Ford Mustang
2024 Honda Civic
2024 Jeep Gladiator
2024 Jeep Wrangler
2024 Kia Forte GT
2024 Lotus Emira
2024 Mazda 3 Hatchback
2024 Mazda Miata
2024 Mini Convertible and 2024 Mini Hardtop
2024 Nissan Versa
2024 Nissan Z
2024 Porsche 718 Boxster and 2024 Porsche 718 Cayman
2024 Porsche 911
2024 Subaru BRZ
2024 Subaru WRX
2024 Toyota GR86
2024 Toyota GR Corolla
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro
2024 Toyota GR Supra
2024 Volkswagen GTI and 2024 Volkswagen Golf R
2024 Volkswagen Jetta

I'm still daily-driving my 2010 regular-cab 2wd truck with a 5-speed, but I love shifting gears. I find it relaxing. It also helps that I do not own a cell-phone.:D

Yes, it is sad that for most vehicles the only option is automatic trans. Even the ones with manual as an option, it can be just the low end base model with smallest engine. Not the higher end and bigger engines; except for limited cases.

If it is any consolation, part of the reason is that automatics have gotten very good and are usually quicker than the manual version. But you lose the shifting gears fun.

> 2024 Volkswagen GTI and 2024 Volkswagen Golf R

2024 is the last year for the manual transmission for the GTI or R. We have a low mileage 2015 GTI with a manual transmission and plan on keeping it until it dies. It's far from dying though and a real fun car to drive around. The ONLY downside is because it's a turbo, it wants premium fuel.

Yes, it is sad that for most vehicles the only option is automatic trans. Even the ones with manual as an option, it can be just the low end base model with smallest engine. Not the higher end and bigger engines; except for limited cases.

If it is any consolation, part of the reason is that automatics have gotten very good and are usually quicker than the manual version. But you lose the shifting gears fun.
Paddle shifters help regain that fun factor and manual shift point control.

It used to be the pejorative "slushbox" was well deserved for an automatic. That said, driving in the stop and go of the D.C. area it never occurred to me to buy manual if I had a choice. Both DW and myself learned to drive with stick shift, and frankly we don't miss them.

Funny thing happened recently related to manual vs. automatic...

Traveled out of town, family birthday party for grandson including friends and family on both sides. It's in a congested area, lots of cars coming, so before the party my son wanted to move his cars out of the driveway and down the street to make room for others arriving who would be more in need of the close spot.

I pulled up and parked about the time his father-in-law (80ish?) was going to move one of their cars, while my son was in the other. It was an automatic, and he couldn't figure out how to get it into reverse, so my son asked me to move it. Later, my daughter-in-law said he had only had manuals his whole life and struggled with automatics, particularly in newer cars with different types of shifting... I thought she was kidding at first, but nope, it was later verified! :)

I am still driving my 1988 f-150 with the ZF manual 5-speed transmission.
I like the mechanical simplicity, better engine cooling, durability with the beefier gears and positive engine braking when descending in the mountains.
I agree they are not so fun in stop and go traffic, nor when I broke the fibula on my left leg - quite painful to step on the clutch pedal.
The new truck will come with a 10-speed auto.
Chatter on the forums indicate this is the weak spot within the drive train.

This is the high end Tacoma that has a V6. The last 4 cylinder with a manual transmission was 2017 if I recall. Those 4-cylinder Toyota pickups are supposed to be indestructible.

It used to be the pejorative "slushbox" was well deserved for an automatic. That said, driving in the stop and go of the D.C. area it never occurred to me to buy manual if I had a choice. Both DW and myself learned to drive with stick shift, and frankly we don't miss them.

+1

And my car no longer has gears anyway (except forward and reverse - I don’t know that those count as “gears”)

A manual transmission can be fun, but I didn't mind losing manual steering, manual windows, manual door locks, manual spark advance, or manual engine starting (I never actually had the last two).

Part of it is demographics. Many younger people don't even know how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission and therefore wouldn't buy one. These days a manual transmission is a great anti-theft device.

I had paid for 2 replacement auto transmissions in my diesel truck when the new (used ) truck showed up for sale with the 6 speed manual. Fortunately my wife was fine with it. I remember bringing it home and she jumps up there and starts adjusting mirrors, and off we go to the grocery store.
It takes a level of worry out of towing heavy trailers with 800 ft/lb of torque on demand.

+1

And my car no longer has gears anyway (except forward and reverse - I don’t know that those count as “gears”)
No, they are not different 'gears'. An EV just reverses the electric motor to go in reverse, there is no changing of gears. A typical ICE won't run in reverse (I said 'typical', because a 2-stroke can be made to run in reverse).

... If it is any consolation, part of the reason is that automatics have gotten very good and are usually quicker than the manual version. But you lose the shifting gears fun.

I'm pretty sure most "automatics" today, are basically manual transmissions with computer controlled shifting. I think they still include a hydraulic torque converter for smooth starts.

It used to be the pejorative "slushbox" was well deserved for an automatic. That said, driving in the stop and go of the D.C. area it never occurred to me to buy manual if I had a choice. ....
Yep, I was OK with a manual, preferred it in some ways. But I also drove them in the 70's in Chicago traffic, and that clutching and shifting got tiring.

-ERD50

Still have my 97 Miata manual, but I'm not ashamed to have automatics for my daily drivers since 1995. Paddle shifters in the latest, though I really only use them to check my speed on downhills.

I think it was an early 90s Corvette when I first heard of an automatic that shifter better than a manual.

Paddle shifters help regain that fun factor and manual shift point control.

Not all paddle shifters are created equal. The one in my 2009 Chevy Malibu (2.4L) shifts so slowly, there's no fun to be had.

Our 2014 Mazda 5 also has a manual mode, but it's also lazy shifting.

In both cars, it's only useful for holding a gear, or starting in second gear in the snow.

The first car I ever drove was a VW Bug in my high school days. And I had a 1980 Mazda Rx7 back in the early 80's that was manual and it was fun to drive. Later a manual Honda Accord around 1990. But that was my last manual.

No, they are not different 'gears'. An EV just reverses the electric motor to go in reverse, there is no changing of gears. A typical ICE won't run in reverse (I said 'typical', because a 2-stroke can be made to run in reverse).

Typical EV's have an inverter and a reduction gearbox to reduce the output RPM of the electric motor in order to drive the axles. There are many videos of these arrangements being taken apart. My Bolt has one similar drive unit.

Yes, there are gears (drive reduction), but not shifting type gears. There is also an oil reservoir to keep the gears, shafts and bearings cooled and lubricated.

I'm pretty sure most "automatics" today, are basically manual transmissions with computer controlled shifting. I think they still include a hydraulic torque converter for smooth starts.

Automatics are in many flavors. DSGs (direct shift gearboxes) contain two gear trains in parallel that are sequentially shifted electronically. These are essentially manual gearboxes shifted electronically.

Multi speed automatics that have torque converters typically are hydraulic pumps with clutch plates, planetary gear sets and a main gear train (complicated guys). They also have a valve body with several solenoids. Then we have CVT's which are a cone/belt type drive and these arrangements are changing into more complex units.

Yep, I was OK with a manual, preferred it in some ways. But I also drove them in the 70's in Chicago traffic, and that clutching and shifting got tiring.

-ERD50

My responses are above in red.

Last edited:
Interesting thread... got two comments on this...

I was talking to someone recently who bought a 'popular' car a few years back... he was at the dealership and saw the car and was surprised it was there.... and surprised it was not marked up a lot... he asked and was told 'it is a manual'... well, he got a great deal...

For me, I wanted a nice sport sedan and liked the 2004 Acura TL... it came with a 6 speed as an option... BUT, it cost (IIRC) about $1500 more than the manual... it came with sport tires, brembo brakes and some other things I cannot remember... I LOVED that car and would still be driving it today if I had not turned a corner at a read light too quickly and ran into the back of a box truck that had turned before me and STOPPED... (so much for looking both ways)...

I have thought about getting another manual but so far have not done so... but not many what I will call larger cars that have them... well, maybe the Cadillacs... I will never buy GM again and will not pay that much anyhow...

My wife wants a manual for her next vehicle. I'm fine with it if she gets one but I really don't mind not shifting gears, I think it's highly overrated.

Just make sure that the auto manufacturer does not thrift-out the Torque Converter in their automatic transmission without disclosing it.

I believe Ford had issues with their "dual clutch" labeled transmissions where they try to electronically emulated the Torque Converter. Easier said then done.

-gauss

Just make sure that the auto manufacturer does not thrift-out the Torque Converter in their automatic transmission without disclosing it.

I believe Ford had issues with their "dual clutch" labeled transmissions where they try to electronically emulated the Torque Converter. Easier said then done.

-gauss

I was curious, did some searching, and it appears that the vast majority of Dual Clutch automatic transmissions do NOT use a torque converter, not just Ford. Only a few rare exceptions.

Here's the onl;y exception I found:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-clutch_transmission

The 2016 Acura ILX uses a torque converter (a device typically used in hydraulic automatic transmissions) paired with its 8-speed DCT. The purpose of the torque converter is to improve the smoothness of low-speed driving, through the elimination of jolting and shuddering sometimes found in DCTs at low speed.

-ERD50

As a long-time General Motors vehicle buyer, I find it interesting to note that Chevrolet, the "Budget" nameplate produced their last manual-transmission vehicle back in December of 2023 with the end of production of the Camaro. Now, if you want a GM product with a manual transmission, you need to step up to a Cadillac.

Cadillac still offers (for now) the CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing models with a 6-speed manual transmission. The Cheapest CT4-V Blackwing starts at $61,495 and the cheapest CT5-V Blackwing starts at $93,495.

Just think, it used to be you ordered a manual transmission to save a few bucks. Now you have to shell out big buck$ to row-your-own gears if you want to buy a GM product.

For non-GM people...

Furd will still sell you a Mustang with a 6-speed and a Bronco with a 7-speed manual transmission.
Mopar offers the Jeep Gladiator and Wrangler with manual transmissions.
Lots of foreign vehicles available.

Here's the entire list for 2024 vehicles:

Every Manual Transmission Car Available For 2024
2024 Acura Integra
2024 BMW M2
2024 BMW M3 and 2024 BMW M4
2025 BMW Z4
2024 Cadillac CT4 V-Series Blackwing Sedan
2024 Cadillac CT5 V-Series Blackwing Sedan
[-]2024 Chevrolet Camaro[/-]
2024 Ford Bronco
2024 Ford Mustang
2024 Honda Civic
2024 Jeep Gladiator
2024 Jeep Wrangler
2024 Kia Forte GT
2024 Lotus Emira
2024 Mazda 3 Hatchback
2024 Mazda Miata
2024 Mini Convertible and 2024 Mini Hardtop
2024 Nissan Versa
2024 Nissan Z
2024 Porsche 718 Boxster and 2024 Porsche 718 Cayman
2024 Porsche 911
2024 Subaru BRZ
2024 Subaru WRX
2024 Toyota GR86
2024 Toyota GR Corolla
2024 Toyota GR Supra
2024 Volkswagen GTI and 2024 Volkswagen Golf R
2024 Volkswagen Jetta

I'm still daily-driving my 2010 regular-cab 2wd truck with a 5-speed, but I love shifting gears. I find it relaxing. It also helps that I do not own a cell-phone.:D

I learned to drive automatic trannys in high school driver's ed and at home in my dad's 64 VW Beetle. Of the two I liked the D.E. car but I absolutely loved the Beetle! While I was dating my now wife we'd take the VW unless it was a special occasion date. We're on our second Wrangler, 2003 TJ and now a 2023 JL. Both had/have auto trannies only so my wife can drive them. We also have my grandpa's '46 Willys CJ2A...std tranny, of course. :dance:

I always preferred a stick shift, but they are not practical on the Island due to traffic. DW can operate a stick but prefers an auto trans even on the mainland - medium sized town. Two strikes and sticks are now OUT. Too bad, really. YMMV

... Fortunately my wife was fine with it. I remember bringing it home and she jumps up there and starts adjusting mirrors, and off we go to the grocery store.
It takes a level of worry out of towing heavy trailers with 800 ft/lb of torque on demand.

Wow, I guess your wife takes her grocery shopping seriously if she wants a diesel truck for the grocery store.:)

Back
Top Bottom