Go to the Movies?

I have been the cinema more in the last 2 years (dating) than I have in the previous 35 (married). I found that I like movies better at home. For some unknown reason my eyes water and itch and bother me at the cinema, but not at home. And the people at the local cinema are well behaved too (re talking, and smart phones)

I have a home theater system and the sound is better. The picture is bigger at the cinema, but not as sharp. My seats are better and so is the popcorn from the "whirley pop" Not to mention cocktails and potty breaks.

I also have a projector with a pull down screen that really puts the "theater" into the movie. Pretty cool.

We have gone to the movies more in the last 3 months (since retiring) than we normally went in 2 years! It helps that the nearest theater is less than a mile away, and they have $6 Tuesday. !! And this includes reclining suite seats, with bun warmers!!
It is an inexpensive afternoon out, and we are seeing films we might never even look for on Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Not often, 2-3 times a year. The last one we saw at a dollar theater was the Martian. It was enjoyable. We now get movies from library for free, even then I didn't have the patient to watch Brad Pitt in Babel. For some reasons, we never watched Dances with Wolves and Blackhawk down. So that's what we watch for free. I finally have the patience to watch 2-3 hours of Kevin Costner. I don't think I could before I retired.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last weekend saw Eye in the Sky with DW. It portrays a very real world dilemma and was quite good.

I take my great nephew to see all the superhero flicks. Great time for the both of us. I started by taking his Dad and brother when they were young and now it's the next generation. Wonder if I can last another generation?

We just watched The Martian and loved it.......DW is a bit of a science/computer nerd, whereas I can barely tell the time using a digital watch, but we were both enthralled through the entire thing.

The Martian was very good.

Ever since they redid our movie theater with leather reclining seats we enjoy the movies so much more . We usually go about four to six times a year .

We go maybe 2X a month if there is something we would like to see on a big screen. It is always the first show (late morning or early afternoon) that has reduced ticket prices and it is usually for movies that are best seen on a large theater screen. Otherwise we can wait for Netflix. That also means no more than 10 people in the theater so we get the seats we like. Other than bringing in ear plugs and the initial annoying light from cell phones it works well for us.

We don't buy popcorn and drinks at the inflated prices either although movie popcorn is my favorite. Wish there was a way to duplicate it at home.

There is no way I will pay higher prices to have less than desirable seats in a crowded theater with so may rude inconsiderate people.

Cheers!

Get to a Senior movie ($1) a couple of times in the summer. Other than that, it's not worth the effort and money. Most movies are a waste of time and money IMO. I can deal with a matinee or the Senior movie, but can't deal with the date-night crowd with loud talking and cell phones. Who wants to pay $11 and be subjected to that? Obviously, YMMV.

I had a couple of Groupons that were expiring for movie tickets so we saw the latest Jason Bourne and Star Trek movies this week. I loved the Star Trek movie. That was worth it to see on the big screen. We saw it in Barco Escape which was three screens, but that seemed a bit clugey. For the extra money Imax would have been a better choice.

Back
Top Bottom