Go to the Movies?

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Purely from curiosity.
We don't go to movies (in a movie theater) but it's pretty obvious that we're in the tiny minority. Our local theater is almost always crowded, even though the mall it's in, is very, very quiet.

We don't go, but it's not because of the money... (though it seems that the $7.75 senior ticket price seems kinda high.) Maybe because we'd get edgy sitting for two hours at a stretch. More likely, because very few of the movie titles or reviews peak much interest.... like been there, done that.

The last movie.. seen at a movie theater, was the original Star Wars, or maybe "Raiders of the Lost Ark"... when our kids were little.

We do watch movies... too much, for sure, but on TV or streaming from Netflix and Amazon.

Some curiosity questions.
Do you go?
How often?
Typical ticket price? Regular? Special?
Any special genre of movies? Comedy, Drama, Adventure etc.
Buy refreshments? (Here, January special is $15 bucket of popcorn, bring back the bucket, and get a refill for $4 for the rest of the year.)
Comfort of the seats?
Demeanor of the audience?
Different theaters?
Has your attendance habit changed over the years?

Yeah... I know we're not too normal, 'cuz many of our (even older) neighbors do go to the movies on a regular basis.

Last edited:
We go quite often if a movie sounds interesting to us... probably at least once or twice a month on average. At home, our local theater is $4 for seniors and $5 for 3D. We try to avoid 3D, not because of the extra $1 but because we enjoy 2D more, but 3D is ok... after 5-10 minutes you hardly know the difference. The most recent Star Wars movie is 3D and I suspect better in 3D than in 2D.

Here in Florida, there is a local theater showing slightly older movies (perhaps out for a month or so) for $2.50 ($2.00 matinee). Another theater is $5.75 from 3-5 pm and others are $8.

We usually get a large popcorn and share a large soda which is usually $10 and allows one free refill which we don't usually do unless DS is with us so we are sharing 3 ways rather than 2.

You should treat yourself and DW to go out and see the new Star Wars movie. We enjoyed it.

We have not been to a theater in years. It's not just the cost, but the hassle too. We'd rather watch DVDs at home, and with the subtitle turned on. I thought it was our hearing, and not the cast not talking clearly as they used to, but we have no problems with oldie movies.

I rarely visit a cinema nowadays, unless it is for a night out with friends. It could be a big widescreen place (Skyfall) or a local discount theatre with $2 matinees (The Book Thief).

I cut cable several years ago and watch movies at home on Netflix or iTunes. The movies I like to watch are predominantly dramas, often foreign language films. Netflix was great for this with a VPN. Unfortunately, Netflix is now blocking my VPN, leaving me with access only to the Canadian lineup, which does not meet my needs. So I have cancelled my Netflix subscription. We will see how it all turns out. There are other streaming services. I may go back to the movie theatres.

I rarely go to movies, but I do watch them at home fairly often. As I've gotten older I've realized that dealing with other people's annoying habits in a crowded theater (e.g. talking throughout the movie, loudly munching and slurping their food, checking their smartphones all the time, babies crying or whimpering) just makes the whole experience kind of unpleasant. The only times I go out to movie theaters nowadays is to see the occasional super-duper special effects blockbuster, or if my date or girlfriend wants to go. Both of those are rare occurrences. Watching a movie on my 70" 4K flat-screen TV and surround sound audio system at home gives me all the cinematic experience I want in most cases.

We go to the cinema regularly and have been doing so since I retired. Before then we went less frequently, as we had less available time. We enjoy different genres and usually take turns choosing. I occasionally go alone when DW has no intention of sitting through a film that I just have to see on the big screen.

Many of the theaters in our area have new, spacious reclining seats and reserved seating sections. More expensive, but we're hooked. We don't mind the extra cost because we buy nothing from the concession stand. They also provide beer and wine, and even seat-side food service. We don't care for that, it's too much of a distraction.

Many memorable bonding moments going to the cinema with my kids and smuggling in deli sandwiches, chips, drinks, dessert.

The audience hasn't changed much over the years. Noise and distraction have always been there and probably always will. Unbelievable mess when the lights come back up, some people are really messy.

I rarely go to movies, but I do watch them at home fairly often. As I've gotten older I've realized that dealing with other people's annoying habits in a crowded theater (e.g. talking throughout the movie, loudly munching and slurping their food, checking their smartphones all the time, babies crying or whimpering) just makes the whole experience kind of unpleasant. The only times I go out to movie theaters nowadays is to see the occasional super-duper special effects blockbuster, or if my date or girlfriend wants to go. Both of those are rare occurrences. Watching a movie on my 70" 4K flat-screen TV and surround sound audio system at home gives me all the cinematic experience I want in most cases.

+1
Same here, but ours is a 65" plasma, and due to the distance you sit away in a theatre vs at home, its possible our tv is as big view wise as the smaller theatre screens.

Do they even have the giant screens anymore?

We might go to matinee as they are only about $4.00 , at least we talked about it :) But I think it's been at least 6 years since we went.

Home is so convenient, you can eat what you want, no driving, and you can stop the movie to go to the wash-room, and not miss anything. Other than it does interrupt the immersion of the story.

Once in 10 years. The big screen is nice, even if not as big as they used to be. To get two seats together for any popular flick one must arrive before the scheduled start time. At the scheduled start time began 45 minutes of trailers. The sound is way too loud. Anticipating this I brought earplugs and noise cancelling headphones, ended up using both, and that combo made the sound level about right. Movie theaters around here cater to teenagers.

We watch a lot on our 55" tv (I love watching tv at night), but I do like going to the movie theater. Giant screen, dark, no distractions of home. And lots of coincidental fun and great memories as Michael B mentioned above. Plus it gets us out of the house.

We recently went to a modern new theater (ArcLight Cinemas: Inside Chicago’s Lovely But Pricey New Theater: Chicagoist) with two preschoolers to see Zootopia. Opening weekend and the place was packed for the post-nap matinee. Theater was beautiful and interesting--DD bought the tickets on an app, which included choosing our seats and flashing her phone at the ticket taker's screen reader. A manager stood at the front of the theater before the movie started and preshushed us (he was laughing as the majority of the audience was completely unshushable). DD paid for the probably very expensive tickets so don't know the cost but the concessions were $35 for two large popcorns, a couple of drinks, and a big pretzel.

DH went to his small hometown theater recently to see 10 Cloverfield Lane, a brand new horror/thriller/funny movie, for $7 but that includes popcorn and a softdrink. Six people at the late night show.

We saw Coen Brothers' Hail, Caesar! at our nearest theater, the weekend it opened, with about ten other people at a matinee. I think it was $8 a ticket, and free refills on the popcorn and drink (maybe $8 for those).

Maybe/obviously fewer and fewer people go to the movies as they are hardly ever crowded, at least in the afternoon. I can't complain about the other patrons.

Last edited:
Now showing at your local couch on your big screen TV the latest movies (after a few months) via Netflix, Amazon Prime, Comcast ....

...and popcorn via microwave at the touch of a button. Intermissions at your finger tip. And you are even allowed to switch cinemas if you don't like the feature.

The last movie I seen in a "theater" was "Moonstruck" (with Cher). The year it won an Oscar, however long ago that was. I rarely watch a full-length movie at home -- not that I have anything against that... it just works out that way.

I have not been to a movie theater in over 20 years... Too many people, too high price, inconvenient times. I do miss the theater popcorn, slathered in butter (flavoring) though.

I have been known to get movies from the Pirate Bay, sometimes even before they come out in the theater. Much cheaper. I downloaded several to watch on the airplane trip we just went on. The Pirate Bay is approved by Kanye West.

I am planning on getting a pass to the Minnesota Science Museum as they have the Omnitheater films free, with discounted parking, to members. A membership is only ~$50 for two adults with my mega-corp discount.

I went with a big group of girls to see the first Magic Mike movie at a small theater that served beer and wine. It was lots of fun and we definitely like the movie.

That's pretty much it for me, I just can't be bothered to go to see movies. Hard enough to get me out to see live music, these days.

Going to the movies is one of my favorite date nights, but I'm not dating anyone...

Tickets for new release theaters are $11 and up, but the early matinee is $6.75, soon to be $6.25 when I turn 62. There's also a "dollar movie" place, though it's more like $3 these days, but I think there are times/days when it's less.

Hard to pass on the popcorn and soda, but, egads, the price...

Very rarely do we go. We did go to see The Martian, but the last one before that was Titanic.

Now we mostly stream them or rent a DVD.

And as Sojourner notes rude people detract substantially from the experience. And the price-gouging on refreshments is infuriating to me. DW will buy some but I refuse to.

Much nicer staying home even if the screen is smaller and I didn't spend six figures on the sound system.

I usually just watch movies for free online but I will go to the theater a couple times per year on average to see "big" movies. For example i've seen all the Harry Potter, Lord of The Rings, and Star Wars movies at the theater. I go to the Tuesday showings which are $5 and I NEVER buy concessions. I eat before going and smuggle in a small water bottle in case I have a dry mouth.

DH and I have been together nearly 20 years now and have never been to a movie theatre. To us, it's overpriced, snacks aren't worth it and, with DH's hearing issues I don't think either of us would enjoy it. (He has tinnitus and loud sounds can actually be painful.). We use RedBox -ancient technology, I know, but at $1.50 plus tax it's a bargain. Bonus: we can adjust volume if DH is having a problem with soft voices or foreign accents. Now RedBox is a regular Friday night treat!

The last movie theater we attended was the IMAX theater at the adult Space Camp in Huntsville, around 1995 or so. It was a documentary filmed on the Space Shuttle. They also showed some aerial flight around the oil field fires in Kuwait at the end of the war.

We were allowed to examine the projection system very closely and had a rather neat briefing on the sound system used, and how the movies were filmed. All after hours in the museum.

All movies should be shown in that format, it was a blast.:)

There's a new theater in town that has the Barcaloungers and food/beer/etc,and a senior day discount. We might try that just to say we did.

_B

Seems to me the last movie I actually went to see in a theatre was just before these newfangled 'talkies' came out.

DW and I watch a movie 2 - 3 times a month. There are some weekends with no good movies, so we skip it. Both of us spend around $15 for 2 tickets for a matinee. When we go out for a movie, we have lunch at a restaurant or just grab some fast food. Popcorn & soda is too expensive, so we leave the popcorn at home. When we watch movies at home, we pop organic popcorn and use Irish butter (from grass fed cows) - the best !

Attachments

• 94c0611dc09c350ee61dacb75124bcfd.jpg
    94c0611dc09c350ee61dacb75124bcfd.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 12
Do you go?
Yep

How often?
A couple times each month

Typical ticket price? Regular? Special?
This varies wildly by location and timing. Everything from $4.50 for a basic theater at matinee hours to $18 for super fancy schmancy theaters with leather recliners and 3D/IMAX/etc

Any special genre of movies? Comedy, Drama, Adventure etc.
Love em all

Buy refreshments?
Occasional popcorn.

Comfort of the seats?
When available, I love the leather recliners. It's usually only a dollar or two more than the normal uncomfortable seats.

Demeanor of the audience?
Depends on the movie!

Different theaters?
Yes

Has your attendance habit changed over the years?
Not much

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom