Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah, it's easy to see that the most solar activity happens where electric rates are high. Makes sense. Also makes sense to size to 80 to 90 % of usage, you really don't want to be selling juice at 4 cents a KWh.

I like to go outside and watch the power meter. It it high in the morning, but decreases as the day goes on and then returns at night to where it started. I power the house with solar during the day as well as power the grid and then I draw it back in the evening. The meter does not move a lot anymore -

On cloudy/rainy days, it generates only 10-20% of a sunny day and the meter shows it.

In seven years I should break even on investment and then I start stacking dough again for the next 18 years. Pretty cool!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #182
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Well Robbie, based on your pre solar bill, I know something now that would quickly get me distracted from my Obamacare premium....Paying 34 cents a KW! That would leave a welt on my wallet. And people where I live complain about our 9 cent KW...

It looks like the rates include distribution fees. Our connection and distribution fees are approx 40% of the total bill and represent nearly all of the savings from solar if you lease. All in we pay around 16 cents/kWh.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #183
Give me a forum ...

On solar a whole month billing cycle now and don't have the whole billing detail yet, but there is this little tidbit from PG&E;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1stmobill.JPG (24.9 KB, 249 views)
Old 10-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #184
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Kicking myself for not doing this earlier....
Another Reader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Kicking myself for not doing this earlier....
Not so fast. You do know that the sun will eventually burn out, right?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Pretty sure it's going to outlast the panels...
Old 10-28-2016, 12:54 PM   #187
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Does this mean we should update our FIRECalc projection and rethink that annuity?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Still no PDF, but here are some more tidbits. I know I'll be getting a bill for the grid connect and some taxes and the gas of course and I'm thinking that the credit will just be applied to the NEM true up bill annually. But it's pretty cool, and it does work and since my before annual electric use was ~$1800 a year if I can get 90% of that it's a seven and a half year payback.

Pretty cool -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1stmobillwgas.JPG (30.6 KB, 224 views)
Old 10-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #189
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Does this [sun burning out] mean we should update our FIRECalc projection and rethink that annuity?
I don't see any need to change. The salesman told me that the annuity would pay "no matter what", and without the sunlight I expect my light bill will be higher, so an annuity check would be even more welcome.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I don't see any need to change. The salesman told me that the annuity would pay "no matter what", and without the sunlight I expect my light bill will be higher, so an annuity check would be even more welcome.
Not to mention the heating bill...
Old 10-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #191

RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Ok, first complete bill arrived and I really do have a credit balance of $7.06, no payment required -

But that is because of the "California Climate Credit" of $28.14.

Gas charges - $11.56
Grid connect - 9.52
CC credit -28.14

Balance -7.06

My NEM charges were $9.03 on a net usage of 122 KWh, but they estimate my net cost at "true up" to be 2 dollars due to partial credit on grid connect fee.

So if this continues I'll be paying a whole twenty five to fifty bucks a year for electricity! How cool is that? For the rest of my life -
Old 11-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #193

I did a free standing solar tracker just about a year ago. My electric bill is typically $13.00 a month, which is the "connection charge" from EverSource here in NH.

Unused electricity rolls forward. Right now I have almost 4800 KWh saved up. I also installed a split AC system with heat pump and run it when I need to.

NH has high electricity costs. My ROI calculated by the solar installers was a bit over 7 years. But I also get pain Renewable Energy Credits of about $50 per 1000 KWh generated and plan to apply that money toward paying off the solar loan quicker.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

That's cool and the best way to do it too. If you can keep the array pointed at the sun you get full power all the time.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

It's spring! And I have 6 months of generation on the books, the "short" 6 months, 9-21-16 to 3-20-17;

We've had a wet and cloudy and stormy season to boot. Looking forward to the next 6 months and my first annual true up bill. From what I see so far it's gonna be really small -
Old 09-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Just got my first true up bill. For a whole year of juice it cost me $260. Since I already paid $110 in "grid connect" fees and I am a net consumer I got full credit and only need to send in $150. I added up what a year cost me before solar and it was $1500, so I have a 10 year (9 more to go) break even.

Pretty cool -
Old 09-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #197

Our city owned utility installed a solar farm earlier this year. There was a "buy in" to secure up to 40% of your power from the farm, depending on how many units you signed up for. It sold out very quickly.

We aren't seeing a decrease in bills YET, but the buy-in guarantees our solar rate for the next 10 years, while the other 60% will be subject to the usual expected increases. A neighbor is on the utility board and told us they are adding more panels due to demand, and those who already bought may be able to bump up to 60% solar. I'll do it. For us, it's not so much $avings as it is environmental.

We have no panels in our yard or on our roof, which is a good thing since our HOA forbids it.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #198

Robbie I'm glad to hear that your first year of solar generation has gone well. I'm on year 12 now, and each of my years has gone like your first: smooth with no problems. Just some cleaning of the panels 2-3 times a year.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #199

Great to hear of your solar success. Don't forget to account for any utility company rate increases. Here in California, PG&E is implementing a new rate structure that would raise rates for most people. Not me, I'm grandfathered in under my rate of E6 (TOU with peak, off peak and shoulder rates that benefits solar generation time windows as well as summer/winter rates) until 2022. If I were forced to migrate to the new rate schedule, along with the overall rate increase across the board, my electric costs would surely be higher than my fixed schedule with rate increase.
What I'm trying to say is that the more PG&E raises it's rates, the quicker my capital investment in solar will pay for itself. A huge reason I went solar was because it's a pretty sure bet that energy prices will always climb.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Robbie I'm glad to hear that your first year of solar generation has gone well. I'm on year 12 now, and each of my years has gone like your first: smooth with no problems. Just some cleaning of the panels 2-3 times a year.
Yeah, it gets dusty here with all the wind and the commercial AG operations. My panels are low and close so I just go out every 3 months in the dry season and spray them with a garden hose in the morning when the sun is low and not on them. Gets about a 5% increase.