Join Early Retirement Today

Going to a banquet need your opinion
Old 06-22-2021, 08:56 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Going to a banquet need your opinion

I will be traveling to a small community for a community social event they are having. There will be people I went to school with and many folks in that area I know.

There is a banquet one evening and I really don't want to dress up real bad.

So, my question is would it be acceptable to wear a nice pair of outer shorts, nice T-shirt, nice shirt and shoes and socks? I can hard stand to put a pair of pants on in summer, unless I am at the ranch.

My wife said I look like a bum! Lol All nice cloths I can't see why it matters, my legs will under a table.

Okay, so what is your opinion? These people will be older and my age and younger attending this small town event.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2021, 09:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Listen to your wife and wear some long pants and a collared shirt. Show a little respect to both those in attendance and to yourself.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:10 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Listen to your wife and wear some long pants and a collared shirt. Show a little respect to both those in attendance and to yourself.
Okay, looks like she maybe right. Thanks
Old 06-22-2021, 09:19 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
There is a banquet one evening and I really don't want to dress up real bad.

So, my question is would it be acceptable to wear a nice pair of outer shorts, nice T-shirt, nice shirt and shoes and socks? I can hard stand to put a pair of pants on in summer, unless I am at the ranch.

My wife said I look like a bum! Lol All nice cloths I can't see why it matters, my legs will under a table.

Happy wife, happy life!

Find a nice lightweight thin cloth pair of slacks and wear those. And a lightweight short-sleeve shirt. I think a tie is unnecessary this day and age.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

RetireeRobert, times have changed in how people dress these days but I will see if I have any dress slacks that fit. I guess she was right. I'm going alone, so she wouldn't have to be seen with the bum anyway. lol
Old 06-22-2021, 10:06 PM   #6

Quote:
I guess she was right. I'm going alone, so she wouldn't have to be seen with the bum anyway. lol
She would not be there physically. But her voice would be on your shoulder all evening, saying "you should have dressed a little nicer for these folks."
Old 06-22-2021, 10:19 PM   #7

I would agree that some slacks and a collared shirt would be best and that is what I would wear, however, I think that you should do you. As long as everything is clean and not tattered, you should wear what you’re comfortable in. These are people you know. You don’t have anything to prove to them. They probably know you’re a causal dresser. You didn’t say, but if this thing is outdoors, then I’d feel even stronger about wearing the shorts.

Also, in your description, you said a T shirt AND a nice shirt. I assume that means a short sleeved collard shirt with a t-shirt underneath. That and a pair of shorts doesn’t sound bad at all. Especially if the weather is over something like 80 degrees.

Street should be Street. You seem like a complete gentleman on this forum and I can’t see you being anything but authentic and I’m sure everyone will accept that. Have a good time.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

There is a banquet one evening
"Evening" is the key word street. If the banquet was during the day in the summer, some nice shorts and shirt would do it. But in the evening, we're likely talkin' about some dress slacks, a collared shirt, closed toe shoes with socks, etc. Sigh..........

This is one of those things that probably isn't worth fighting. Go with the common convention and focus on reconnecting with old friends, etc. Should be a good time!
Old 06-22-2021, 10:38 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
RetireeRobert, times have changed in how people dress these days but I will see if I have any dress slacks that fit. I guess she was right. I'm going alone, so she wouldn't have to be seen with the bum anyway. lol

Try goodwill or your local thrift store and you can re donate the offending long pants after the dinner..
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Try goodwill or your local thrift store and you can re donate the offending long pants after the dinner..
Capitol idea!! I myself have a couple shirts in my wardrobe I got at the local Union Gospel Mission thrift store about 20 years ago. I still wear them. As I recall, they cost me about $1.50 each.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

How about jeans and a shirt? I hate slacks too. Wore those when I was working.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:33 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

When I started work, we wore sport coats and ties. Then we went to just shirt & ties except with casual Fridays when it was khaki pants and a golf shirt. Then we went to khaki pants and golf shirts as a uniform.

In retirement, it's jean shorts (Walmart) and two $6 T shirts from Dollar General--one Auburn, one Alabama. My Sunday wardrobe is back to khaki pants and golf shirt.

And in our retirement, we no longer even attend social occasions (like banquets) that are not church affiliated.

Post retirement, I no longer even own a suit. I told my wife to just put me in shorts and a sport coat at visitation.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:15 AM   #13

You can get very light pants that will be cooler, and a golf shirt.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:15 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

You people are fantastic! I value all of your direction and that is why I posted my dilemma. I know I will get an honest answers and direction.

I will see what I have that will work in my arsenal, and get a nay or yay from the boss. Lol
Old 06-23-2021, 05:50 AM   #15

Yeah, evening + banquet means pants and shirt with a button and collars. No jeans, no shorts, no t-shirts, no sneakers. Don't even have to drag the wife into this.

I have never felt uncomfortable if I've attended something slightly over dressed, but if I'm more casual that most attendees it doesn't feel good. No doubt, somewhere online you can find pics of past events with this group - use those as your guide.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 05:58 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
... No doubt, somewhere online you can find pics of past events with this group - use those as your guide.
+1

Go with the flow. You don't want to stand out.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:42 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

^ you folks are are right. The one thing I do not want to be is to stand out like a sore thumb.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #18

My niece was kind enough to put in dress code for her wedding, so that people didn't come ready for hiking or feel like they needed to put on a suit or dress and nylons (yuck!). Could you possibly ask the people putting on the banquet what their expectation is for dress?

I agree with others that long pants such as Dockers or khakis and a golf/polo shirt would be reasonably comfortable and not out of place.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:05 AM   #19

Are you that person that wears pajamas at the airport?
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

In my opinion, he can wear new-looking athetic shoes. Many men don't even own dress shoes, and they can be expensive to buy new. In addition, since these are old friends, he will probably see other men wearing athletic shoes because of foot issues, diabetes, etc.

Personally I love to dress up, and so does Mr. A. - but we are seeing a wide variety of dressing these days, even at the theater (when there was theater!) and in church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Yeah, evening + banquet means pants and shirt with a button and collars. No jeans, no shorts, no t-shirts, no sneakers. Don't even have to drag the wife into this.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote