Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-27-2007, 07:35 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dawg - joined the Ping family this month. Got fitted for G10 irons.
Looking at putters - maybe Ally or Anser ....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien View Post
Dawg - joined the Ping family this month. Got fitted for G10 irons.
Looking at putters - maybe Ally or Anser ....
Cool. Can't go wrong with Ping. I have Ping G5 woods and a G5 Anser putter. I like it on fast greens but just switched back to a Never Compromise mallet one for the slower winter greens.

Played yesterday with my Minnesota buddy and his brother. His brother just came in for a few days and said it was cooler here(MS) than the weather he left in MN. Go figure. Time to get out the old cart enclosure and heater for the winter months.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Had to revive the golf thread to brag about an ace! The hole played about 135, I hit a beautiful pitching wedge (at 3000+ feet I get about 5 extra yards on it) to about 10 feet in front of the pin, two bounces and in it went!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Whoa (on my knees, arms raised, praising). I am just finishing almost 4 months of Golftec lessons, ready to hit the links after decades of layoff.

Watch for my ace post in a few weeks.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #45

Make sure you post videos as to show us proof of your golf expertise.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Make sure you post videos as to show us proof of your golf expertise.
One word: Photoshop.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I was surprised just to have a witness. A lot of times, like tonight, I go out in the evening by myself, and a guy who was searching for golf balls was there on the tee box and saw it all. He gave me his name and address but I'm not worried about any official recording, I know what I did.

Rich, you've got a few close calls before you get hte ace. I clanked the pin on this hole once, and put another one within 6 inches there. My only other close one was a different course, when I skipped one onto the green and it rolled by and stopped two inches almost directly behind the cup. That one was in a golf league where we had "closest to the pin" ball awards each week so I got to leave the sign there for everyone to see.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Congrats! I've been lucky enough to have 3 spread out over 35 years. Hey, if you made it with a Titleist golf ball you can get register it at the below address.

http://www.titleist.com/customerserv...ult.asp?bhcp=1
Old 08-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #49

Wow. Closest I got was a couple feet. Shanked a par 3. Was a nice worm burner.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

I also bow before you--that is so awesome. I was with someone who did it last summer and I almost had a heart attack, I was so excited for her. Congratulations!
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:37 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Thanks all. Dawg, it was a Titleist, so I went to that site and registered.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Never had one, hit the flag a few times, once it ran right down the flagstick and destroyed the front edge of the cup, but refused to go in.......

Someday I will get an ace.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

I shoot about an 100 or so when I play, and have hit the pin only once. My father is dying to get a hole in one (3 handicap, always shoots under 80 and played golf in college), so I need to get one before him just to rub it in.
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

I hit the pin all the time but it goes boooiiiinnnngggg off the green when I do. The woman who got the hole in one last summer had just started playing the month before and was TERRIBLE. Her tee shot barely cleared the ground and rolled up to the green and in the hole. I was sooooo jealous and she still doesn't really understand how unlikely getting an ace is for anyone.

But RunningBum's shot sounds like it was beautiful to behold.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Great thread! It was nice to read about all the golfers, their clubs and especially the successes! I have played golf for forever plus a day and never have mastered the silly game but I love it! I retire this year and hope to spend a little more time practicing. My goal is to reach the 70's. I am stuck in the 80's mostly due to a "meltdown" on a hole or two each round it seems. Too much beer? Or too little? I prefer to think too little! Can't get too serious or the game goes completely south!!

Club and golf ball technology has made leaps in recent years. Enables old guys like me to hit it further than ever!

Keep your head down.......
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

If I would play more than 6-8 times a year, I think I could improve a lot. So far this year, my best score is an 86 for 18 holes. Of course, that was with an AirCast boot on my right foot........ Maybe that HELPED me......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
If I would play more than 6-8 times a year, I think I could improve a lot. So far this year, my best score is an 86 for 18 holes. Of course, that was with an AirCast boot on my right foot........ Maybe that HELPED me......
You mean helped you kick the ball out of the sand traps?
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post

Club and golf ball technology has made leaps in recent years. Enables old guys like me to hit it further than ever!
Very true. I hit the ball further now than I did 30 years ago. Sure makes the game more fun.

BTW, I still have the ball from my first hole in one. I was a senior in high school. That very morning, I had completed the ACT exam for college admissions. October 16, 1971. The date stamped on the golf ball and mounted on an ash tray provided by Titleist. Used a 5 iron on the 175 yd hole.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Of course, that was with an AirCast boot on my right foot........ Maybe that HELPED me......
You may be right. A lot of problems start with the set up and you might have worked on that a little more meticuously trying to compensate. I have talked to folks that experienced the same thing.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Very true. I hit the ball further now than I did 30 years ago. Sure makes the game more fun.
I love tagging a drive and hitting a PW to the green! Makes me feel like I am playing the same game as the big boys. Of course I may be hitting from a different set of tees!!