Golf

Thanks all. Dawg, it was a Titleist, so I went to that site and registered.

Never had one, hit the flag a few times, once it ran right down the flagstick and destroyed the front edge of the cup, but refused to go in.......:(

Someday I will get an ace.......:)

I shoot about an 100 or so when I play, and have hit the pin only once. My father is dying to get a hole in one (3 handicap, always shoots under 80 and played golf in college), so I need to get one before him just to rub it in.

I hit the pin all the time but it goes boooiiiinnnngggg off the green when I do. The woman who got the hole in one last summer had just started playing the month before and was TERRIBLE. Her tee shot barely cleared the ground and rolled up to the green and in the hole. I was sooooo jealous and she still doesn't really understand how unlikely getting an ace is for anyone.

But RunningBum's shot sounds like it was beautiful to behold.

Great thread! It was nice to read about all the golfers, their clubs and especially the successes! I have played golf for forever plus a day and never have mastered the silly game but I love it! I retire this year and hope to spend a little more time practicing. My goal is to reach the 70's. I am stuck in the 80's mostly due to a "meltdown" on a hole or two each round it seems. Too much beer?:D:D Or too little? I prefer to think too little! :duh: Can't get too serious or the game goes completely south!!

Club and golf ball technology has made leaps in recent years. Enables old guys like me to hit it further than ever!

Keep your head down.......;)

If I would play more than 6-8 times a year, I think I could improve a lot. So far this year, my best score is an 86 for 18 holes. Of course, that was with an AirCast boot on my right foot........:) Maybe that HELPED me......:)

If I would play more than 6-8 times a year, I think I could improve a lot. So far this year, my best score is an 86 for 18 holes. Of course, that was with an AirCast boot on my right foot........:) Maybe that HELPED me......:)

You mean helped you kick the ball out of the sand traps? :D

Club and golf ball technology has made leaps in recent years. Enables old guys like me to hit it further than ever!

Very true. I hit the ball further now than I did 30 years ago. Sure makes the game more fun. :)

BTW, I still have the ball from my first hole in one. I was a senior in high school. That very morning, I had completed the ACT exam for college admissions. October 16, 1971. The date stamped on the golf ball and mounted on an ash tray provided by Titleist. Used a 5 iron on the 175 yd hole. :D

Of course, that was with an AirCast boot on my right foot........:) Maybe that HELPED me......:)

You may be right. A lot of problems start with the set up and you might have worked on that a little more meticuously trying to compensate. I have talked to folks that experienced the same thing.

Very true. I hit the ball further now than I did 30 years ago. Sure makes the game more fun. :)

I love tagging a drive and hitting a PW to the green! :cool: Makes me feel like I am playing the same game as the big boys. Of course I may be hitting from a different set of tees!!:rolleyes:

You guys do know that golf spelled backwards is flog, right?

I'm a bad, bad golfer and I've nailed a couple in one. One was on the crappy municipal course in Santa Clara and IIRC the ball went up, hit a high tension power line and went right back down into the hole. It was a short par 3 so we saw the whole thing.

Guy I was playing with told me to go and buy a lottery ticket immediately.

Had to revive the golf thread to brag about an ace! The hole played about 135, I hit a beautiful pitching wedge (at 3000+ feet I get about 5 extra yards on it) to about 10 feet in front of the pin, two bounces and in it went!
My advice would be to quit now and sell all your equipment while you're still enjoying the afterglow...

I love tagging a drive and hitting a PW to the green! :cool: Makes me feel like I am playing the same game as the big boys. Of course I may be hitting from a different set of tees!!:rolleyes:

Yeah, kind of like an 8-9 ft basketball goal I had in my backyard as a teenager. I could dunk the ball like my favorite NBA players. :D

Yeah, kind of like an 8-9 ft basketball goal I had in my backyard as a teenager. I could dunk the ball like my favorite NBA players. :D

:D:D:D Me too! Those were great days! :D I won many a last second game by my awesome moves or foul shots.....of course I was in the barn by myself just practicing for the big moment!:cool:

Now about this hole in one things. My son got one...nearly two in one round or so he says :p (actually, I know it's true). Me, Ive scared it a couple times...:bat:

Been playing for almost 30 years and no holes-in-one here. I've chipped it in a time or two from 60 yards, which is fun, and I rolled my tee shot past the flag on a short par 3, missing the pin by an inch or so.

I did shoot 39/38 the other day, but it was on a short and easy course -- bigger than an executive/par3 but not full length by any means. Still a lot of fun to see a scorecard completely filled with 3's, 4's, and 5's.

2Cor521

You guys do know that golf spelled backwards is flog, right?

I'm a bad, bad golfer and I've nailed a couple in one. One was on the crappy municipal course in Santa Clara and IIRC the ball went up, hit a high tension power line and went right back down into the hole. It was a short par 3 so we saw the whole thing.

Guy I was playing with told me to go and buy a lottery ticket immediately.

Intel was a lottery ticket, eventually, no?? ;)

My uncle had a saying: "whenever you think that the games easy, move back a set of tees or two"...........:eek::D

This year, I was playing in Montana at altitude, and I won the long drive contest in the scramble I was playing in, 313 yards. The guy who took second told me that my drive was "stupidly long". Unfortunately, I had to hit a 4 iron to the green as it was a par 5 (531 yards).......:D

For some it was. Most people held onto their shares and proudly proclaimed that they still had every single share. My old girlfriend was worth close to $8M at one point but she said it wasnt really enough. She wanted to travel a lot. I guess the good news is she's still worth a million or two.

I was considered the village idiot for selling my shares every year and diversifying. Then I suddenly became a genius.

Most of them are still working.

For some it was. Most people held onto their shares and proudly proclaimed that they still had every single share. My old girlfriend was worth close to $8M at one point but she said it wasnt really enough. She wanted to travel a lot. I guess the good news is she's still worth a million or two.

I was considered the village idiot for selling my shares every year and diversifying. Then I suddenly became a genius.

Most of them are still working.

My business partner and I have that same issue with a bunch of GE retirees. They won't sell their shares (most of which they never paid anything for) and diversify. What's even sillier is that a LOT of that is in qualified accounts.

A tough nut to crack.............:eek:

Lemme guess...

"Well JEEZ...its ALWAYS gone up! Why should I sell it!"

"But its such a great company and a great stock. It'll always do better than almost anything I could diversify into!"

"I dont want to leave money on the table!"

Some of which may be true. GE is a pretty good company and into enough stuff that its fairly well diversified on its own.

But you could have said the same thing about Tyco a while back. Man has that stock just been punched.

I sort of feel bad for all the young'uns that came out of school and worked for dot coms back in the late 90's and were worth millions on paper and held on, only to end up wage slaves for the next 40 years.

But I'll tell ya. I had my heart in my throat when I clicked "sell" on 40,000 shares at 73 after it ran up from 35 the year before. About half my cells were screaming "SELLLLLLL!" and the other half were yelling "But it just doubled and the PE is still cheap compared to microsoft, cisco and all these other companies!!!"

I got to quit drinking Pepto a few weeks later when it dropped like a rock and kept going.

I almost talked myself into selling half and waiting until after 1/1/2001 to sell the other half, to break up the tax hit.

My business partner and I have that same issue with a bunch of GE retirees. They won't sell their shares (most of which they never paid anything for) and diversify. What's even sillier is that a LOT of that is in qualified accounts.

A tough nut to crack.............:eek:

I have a buddy who went to work with Chevron out of college. He was the same way with their stock. Loaded up on it, got stock options, made a mint. Retired at 45. A couple of years ago he said he still owned all of it. The stock has had it's ups and downs(mostly up) but if I were to have a concentrated portfolio made up of one stock, this might be one to have it in.

Back
Top Bottom