Join Early Retirement Today

Golf Thread........I eagled a par 4!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Golf Thread........I eagled a par 4!

I played in an outing in Des Moines of Monday. On a long par 4 I had 200 yards to the hole into a 10 mph wind.

I hit my 7 wood as well as I can, and the shot looked like it was heading toward the flag but we couldn't see it land.

I go looking around behind the green for it, and can't find it. One of my playing partners suggests looking in the cup, and it WAS THERE!!! I found a ball mark about 6 inches left of the cup. I took a picture, and will try to post it on here........

Probably the best shot I ever hit in my life........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats.

Look at it as a 200 yard hole-in-one, and you didn't have to buy drinks. Frugal golf.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Congrats.

Look at it as a 200 yard hole-in-one, and you didn't have to buy drinks. Frugal golf.
Well, I bought my playing partners a few drinks. I had 3 witnesses, so noone questioned whether it really happened or not..........

Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #4

Congrats. Somebody make sure Jarhead sees this. He'll be jealous.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Congrats FDude! We're looking forward to seeing your ball in a cup!
Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Me, too. But the darned propeller on the Windmill knocked my ball all thay back to the fire-breathing dragon, and had to take a stroke.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I go looking around behind the green for it, and can't find it. One of my playing partners suggests looking in the cup, and it WAS THERE!!!...
Oh your buddy so dropped a ball in the hole on you....
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Oh your buddy so dropped a ball in the hole on you....
Interesting theory, except I was the FIRST one on the green, and he yelled that from 30 yards away...........

Old 06-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #9

Congrats, FinanceDude! In my lifetime, I've had a couple eagles and a hole-in-one and never saw any of them. Bad eyes. Can't stand to wear glasses on the course, but I'm thinking about getting perscription glasses just for distance. I might be able to use these and it would surely make the game more enjoyable, just to see the ball.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Nah - just playing - along those lines, went target shooting the other day and did really well - ran a string of 8 shots and put 4 holes in the paper and the other 4 of them went right through the first 4 holes. Only reasonable conclusion...
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Congrats, FinanceDude! In my lifetime, I've had a couple eagles and a hole-in-one and never saw any of them. Bad eyes. Can't stand to wear glasses on the course, but I'm thinking about getting perscription glasses just for distance. I might be able to use these and it would surely make the game more enjoyable, just to see the ball.
I didn't see it go in because the wind was blowing in my eyes and they were watering. I never had a hole-in-one, congrats!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

A woman I play golf with did the same this morning--she is in golf heaven, so I can imagine what your reaction. Congrats!
Old 06-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Congrats! I've made a couple of eagles on par 4's but only with short irons as my second shot. A 200+ yard shot is pretty special.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Congrats! I've made a couple of eagles on par 4's but only with short irons as my second shot. A 200+ yard shot is pretty special.
I've done that as well. I played a course in Phoenix called Pavillion Lakes in 1997. They had a 265 yard par 4 on the back nine and I hit a 2 iron on the green and made the putt. That was probably my best shot on a par 4 until this one.........

Now I want to play more golf......

Old 06-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

"Now I want to play more golf...... "

There you go.....now you can't wait to play again! Congrats! Shots like that are fun just beacause of the way they come off the club head....sorta like "Wow! Is that how it feels to hit it right!!"
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post

Now I want to play more golf......
We tee off at 9:00am. Oh yeah, you still work.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #17

Wow, 200 yards ! Congrats!

Still play in mega corps league ... watched my partner hit a hole in one last year from 147 out. Never happened before in 20+ years of league play. 200 out is quite an accomplishment! Time to have a plaque made!
Old 06-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
We tee off at 9:00am. Oh yeah, you still work.
9:00 tee time? I'll have nine holes in by then. Love that in the heat of the summer. Tee off at 7:00 AM and have a hard time seeing the ball looking right into the rising sun. New group I'm playing with. They don't mess around and we play "ready golf". Always finished by 11:00. A week ago I teed off at 7:00 in a threesome and we were done at 10:15. If you finish at 11:00 you might be last into the clubhouse and guys are already in there drinking beer. Can't handle that for breakfast.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:31 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Heck, I may quit golf the day I birdie a long par 4.

My best recently has been two perfect regulation par-5's...

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
9:00 tee time? I'll have nine holes in by then. Love that in the heat of the summer. Tee off at 7:00 AM and have a hard time seeing the ball looking right into the rising sun. New group I'm playing with. They don't mess around and we play "ready golf". Always finished by 11:00. A week ago I teed off at 7:00 in a threesome and we were done at 10:15. If you finish at 11:00 you might be last into the clubhouse and guys are already in there drinking beer. Can't handle that for breakfast.
I'm not much into dew raking. But we play "ready golf" too for the most part. We usually finish 18 holes in 3 hours. I can't stand slow play.