Golf's prince of darkness?

Sojourner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As someone who plays golf from time to time and follows big events like the Masters every year, I found this article about Bubba Watson quite fascinating.

How Bubba Watson's temper, religion, and exquisite game made him the most divisive player in golf - SBNation.com

I never realized what a monumental a**hole this guy is.... well, at least according to the article. If you read all the way through, you're left with the impression that BW is basically an angry, selfish, sanctimonious jerk. Makes Tiger look like a saint by comparison.

Now I know that you can't believe everything the media says or writes about people, and who's to know if the author has some big ax to grind when it comes to Bubba Watson. But I have to say, the article did ring true for me. I certainly won't ever be hoping to see this horrible guy win another tournament.

Anyone care to differ or take issue with the article, etc.?

I recently saw the results of an anonymous poll of PGA touring pros. They were asked to complete a sentence something like, " You see _______ in a fight in the parking lot. You decide not to help." Bubba Watson was the number one response. Apparently, he is not well liked among his fellow pros.

I love watching him play, because he is exciting. But many articles and stories over the years have talked about how many of the other players dislike him because of his attitude etc...These aren't new revelations.

Saw him on Ferehty awhile back and he comes across pretty immature in my opinion. Yes he has game but anyone who speaks about themselves in the third person makes me question their intelligence as well.

I wonder if he is going to remove the "Stars and Bars" off his General Lee ?

Have a friend who was on PGA Tour and now on Senior Tour. Says most guys absolutely loathe playing with the guy. An A-1 dickhead is how he describes him.

Guess I'll have to take my Saint Bubba statue down from the mantle.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Aside from being a jerk, he also comes across as very ignorant and disrespectful of other cultures. The SBNation article has this jaw-dropping quote from when he was interviewed in France while there for a tournament a few years ago.

Q. I heard you went to Paris yesterday?
Bubba Watson: Yeah, yesterday.
Q. Did you like—what did you see?
Bubba Watson: I don’t know the names of all the things, the big tower, Eiffel Tower, an arch, whatever that — I rode around in a circle. And then what’s that — it starts with an L, Louvre, something like that. One of those.

I don't think Bubba is alone in being a jerk department. How about Patrick Reed? His past and recent behaviors have been questioned, and well documented. Sergio? Basketball players are even worse. Is there a limit to Kobe's ego? I think not. I think Bubba's behavior comes with its territory. When you are that good at something, it's easy to believe you are above others.

We sometimes frequent his private club. (Estancia in Scottsdale) and know a number of members there. He is generally seen as a bit of a self centred jerk by people who actually know him. Too bad as he is quite the golfer.

I don't think Bubba is alone in being a jerk department. How about Patrick Reed? His past and recent behaviors have been questioned, and well documented. Sergio? Basketball players are even worse. Is there a limit to Kobe's ego? I think not. I think Bubba's behavior comes with its territory. When you are that good at something, it's easy to believe you are above others.

Oh, I couldn't agree more. There are numerous examples in sports, politics, music, movies, business... you name it. Clearly there are lots of awful people out there, but I guess it just bugs me that when these jerks are "celebrities", people still seem to root for them and love them and idolize them, seemingly without regard for how horrible they truly are on a personal level. I know that's not going to change, as stupefying as it is, but at least by sharing this article maybe I've opened a few eyes to how undeserving of praise and support this guy is.

Bubba Watson: I don’t know the names of all the things, the big tower, Eiffel Tower, an arch, whatever that — I rode around in a circle. And then what’s that — it starts with an L, Louvre, something like that. One of those.

I think that's hilarious

Oh, I couldn't agree more. There are numerous examples in sports, politics, music, movies, business... you name it. Clearly there are lots of awful people out there, but I guess it just bugs me that when these jerks are "celebrities", people still seem to root for them and love them and idolize them, seemingly without regard for how horrible they truly are on a personal level. I know that's not going to change, as stupefying as it is, but at least by sharing this article maybe I've opened a few eyes to how undeserving of praise and support this guy is.

It opened my eyes for sure. Until this article, I thought of him as just another top PGA Tour player, no more or no less. I will scratch him off of my list of PGA tour players to root for :). But if he ever plays against Reed in a playoff, I am not sure who to root against.

The thing that most bothers me is that these guys have a lot of kids worshiping them as heroes & many emulate their behaviors.

I guess I learned a big lesson when I followed Tiger a little too closely. Like any area, there are a few idiots out there. I think Bubba has some issues he tries to cope with.

I guess I learned a big lesson when I followed Tiger a little too closely. Like any area, there are a few idiots out there. I think Bubba has some issues he tries to cope with.

I don't think he is trying per what the article suggests. It seems his way of trying is referring to Bible as if that explains his behavior. Hiding behind the bible is what the article is saying.

I like him.
He plays left-handed.
He almost hit my wife with a shot at the SHO one year and apologized.
He hits a pink driver.
He's kinda long.

He is obviously really good at what he does and the article is a little mean-spirited and gossipy to me in that none of his unlikeable attributes affect anyone (and his caddy is still his caddy so his being upset with him couldn't have bothered him that much).

I don't think he is trying per what the article suggests. It seems his way of trying is referring to Bible as if that explains his behavior. Hiding behind the bible is what the article is saying.

He reminds me of a former boss, a bit narcissistic, too. But low and behold, he sent me this nice Christmas Card. He was super nice sometimes, but nearly schizophrenic. A scary sight really.

I like him.
He plays left-handed.
He almost hit my wife with a shot at the SHO one year and apologized.
He hits a pink driver.
He's kinda long.

Good points, he is fun to watch. His wife seems nice, too, a regular person.

The thing that most bothers me is that these guys have a lot of kids worshiping them as heroes & many emulate their behaviors.[/QUOTE said:
It didn't hurt me any. I grew up worshiping Tommy Bolt. I still dress to the nines, cuss and throw clubs on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

He addressed this issue a few months ago. He said he didn't realize he was coming across as such a jerk and was a bit embarrassed by it. He said he would work on his behavior and improve it. Time will tell I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are many golfers out there that fit this bill. Most of these pros go all "Shooter McGavin" when the camera is on them.
Ask around enough and you'll hear the same things being said about Phil Mickelson, Tiger, etc.
Hopefully having kids of his own now helps straighten out Bubba and helps keep him grounded.

One would think with money and fame some of these guys would get a handler or at minimum some type of charm school training.

Back
Top Bottom