Join Early Retirement Today

good electric razor?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

good electric razor?

DH is looking for a new electric razor. Any recommendations? He tends to have trouble getting a close shave, the 5 o'clock shadow starts early.

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The self cleaning Braun (clean and renew system) is the best I've ever found. Gives a very good close shave and is always clean.
http://braun.com/us/home.html
Old 03-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
The self cleaning Braun (clean and renew system) is the best I've ever found. Gives a very good close shave and is always clean.
+1 I've had a Braun clean & renew type for about 6-7 years, and just bought a new 390cc. Close shave and no skin irritation, I use it 4 times/week. Series 3 electric shaver models for shaving - Braun. There are higher end models too.

I owned a Remington, it was inferior - noisy, it pulled at my face and not as close a shave. I have not owned a Norelco, only because the ones I've handled seemed a little unwieldy, but they seen to get good reviews too.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I like Norelco. Actually I need a new one. My old Norelco is no longer cordless (batterey doesn't hold a charge, cord is electrical taped). I also have a working cordless Remmingoton cordless but I find myself prefering to used the Norelco for a closer shave.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #5

I have a relatively light beard, so heavy duty cutting isn't an issue, and I've always looked for the quietest model I could find. Just don't want to deal with the noise first thing in the morning. Norelco has always seemed quietest to me, and I've been happy using them for decades.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I switched to the Braun clean/renew 390 this year from a norelco. I really like it. Glad I switched
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #7

I like the Norelco. The last one lasted almost ten years, I bought a new one about two years ago.

It's probably a "Ford vs. Chevy" decision.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #8

Thanks for the suggestions!

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #9

I used to be a Remington fan. I had one that worked great and lasted long time, through several battery, blade & screen replacements. Just kept on working great, and that was with very regular use. Finally, as with all mechanical/electrical things, it just was time to replace. I fully expected the same quality in a new Remington. Boy, was I dissappointed. I bought one, after reading great reviews on several sites on the internet. By the time this shaver was only a couple of months old, I could already tell the blades were noticeably less sharp, and shortly after that, the pop-up trimmer began to be difficult to close. Over a few weeks, I had to push harder & harder to get it to stay retracted. Finally, about 4 months after buying this shaver, it went into the trash. I'm about to pick up a new Braun, hopefully it'll last longer than that last Remington.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #10

My husband likes Norelco and so did my dad.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I've had the same Braun for 20 years now, and it's still working fine (I buy new blades now and then). I found it to be better than the Norelco I had.

It doesn't work well if I haven't shaved for a few days. In that case, the trick is to first cut the whiskers with a trimmer, then use the shaver.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #12

I still use a blade, haven't found an electric that worked well. I suppose I have sensitive skin, when I used an electric razor (Norelco) it would cause little pimples to show up on my chin. Not to mention I can get away with shaving every other day or every 3rd day...
Old 03-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
I still use a blade, haven't found an electric that worked well. I suppose I have sensitive skin, when I used an electric razor (Norelco) it would cause little pimples to show up on my chin. Not to mention I can get away with shaving every other day or every 3rd day...

I think one's skin gets accustomed to either blade or electric. In earlier years, I had only used blade. Now my face is so familiar with electric that it would feel odd using a blade --plus, I'd probably slice my face up with nicks and cuts
Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Braun - Electric shavers, shaving & grooming for men

Strange... I bought a Braun because of reading recommendations.... worst decision on shavers ever...

It was VERY noisy... it did not shave well... it irritated my skin a lot...

Maybe the newer ones are better... but I am not willing to find out....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote