Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Good Evening from CBS ABC NBC NPR FOX CNN MSNB
Old 03-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #21

I just left a job where reading many sources of news was part of the description - I've narrowed my news reading to the following:

Wall Street Journal - they don't pander to 6th grade educations
BBC online
CNN online (just to see how they worded their news stories compared to BBC)
Christian Science Monitor

All of the above was while I was living in Europe - we also read the International Herald Tribune and various other foreign language newspapers - I also like the UK based Financial Times for great articles as well - like the WSJ

While here in the US - I use WSJ, BBC online, CNN online and Lehrer NewsHour - I'm also a fan of the McLauglin Group.

I find Fox News format very annoying - they use a lot of visual/aural stimulus that is overwhelming to me (very bright colors and bantering between their reporters that sounds like they are talking about inside jokes - plus they seem to be very confrontational with no facilitation - disturbing to me)

Network news both local and national are very bland and tend to focus on what I consider garbage (stars lives, glossing over issues and opinionated commentary on the stories).

For me what is important is being able to detect the filter or bias of the person delivering the news, hence the reason why I seek out several sources to ascertain the facts versus speculation.

Bridget aka Deserat
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I do like John Stewart's Daily Show as a parady of the news.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:08 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
it was implied that anyone who could control their bowel movements and didn't attend early-bird specials watched network news.

Disclaimer: This is a CHP! Speaking of totally hot steamin' crap, the network news tops. I wouldnt watch that junk at gunpoint.

I use Yahoo's "news clipper" to find the news that interests me. World, local, financial etc.

BUM
Old 03-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

We have the Baltimore Sun which is totally biased towards the left. Subscriptions here are way down.
I watch Fox News in the morning and evening.
PS I would not invest in Martha right now.
xprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:55 AM   #25

Personal favs:

National Newspaper Wall Street Journal
Network News FOX
Financial mag MONEY
National Radio Program Rush Limbaugh

JG

Old 03-08-2005, 07:25 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
PS I would not invest in Martha right now.
So would you short MSO?

Her business situation & fan base seems to defy the application of logic.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
"Kill Bill Vol 2"
Old 04-06-2005, 07:29 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

"Kill Bill Vol 2"

Quote:
Nords, Kill Bill 1 and Kill Bill 2 were the only movies I have liked for a long time. *You really should rent Kill Bill 2. Martha
Well, I finally got around to it. Not as much surprise & impact as Vol I, but still an instant classic!

I'm glad I didn't buy a theater ticket; dalogue rewind & slow-motion frame advance was essential. It amazes me that Darryl Hannah has made a career out of roles like that.

Considering all the sea-duty movies that I've watched, I feel very sorry for submariners named "Bill".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:52 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

NPR, NYT online, Barron's.

accept WSJ and Business Week donations *

TV lent out

Network news: only time would consider watching...i.e., staying in a hotel, nothing to do at 6 or 11 pm, remember colleagues refer to partic. commercials, would watch the networks to see if I could catch any of those clever commercials.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do get the Sunday Los Angeles Times, regularly check CNN, sometimes listen to NPR but most of all I read

The Economist

Old 04-12-2005, 07:47 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

BBC incl. news.bbc.co.uk

But most of all TELETEXT, a great invention that never made it from Europe to the US it seems. Its been around for 20+ years, and like the web its a page based info service. It uses the sidebands of TV broadcasts to carry extra text based semi-interactive info.
1.Convert Euro assets to US$ now or not?<br />2.Tax haven work, anyone ventured?<br />3.ER income from Real-Estate or Equities?<br />4.ER to Canada or US?<br />5.Lifesavings secure in Funds after Worldcon/Enrot/Equitable Life?<br />6.House price correction risk as rates go up?<br />7.Prop arbitrage i.e. CA &gt; 20% IL&lt;8%?
ER@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 12:37 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I watch Japanese television news (NHK, TBS, JNN, others), and read the Asahi Shimbun daily. We also get CNN, BBC and Fox via cable; the BBC is generally watchable (though I don't have much interest in British internal affairs, so don't tune in very often), but the other two drive me absolutely nuts within seconds of tuning in. What a bunch of idiots.

Bpp
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 02:55 AM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

CNBC, MSNBC, Fox News, and CNN during the day. In the evening local news. Over night the BBC World Service on the local PBS FM station. I also have a shortwave radio and listen to Radio Australia and Radio New Zealand early in the mornng here. Although there has been a decline in the number of countries that broadcast on SW, SW radio still gives me a different perspective on the world news
twincity is offline   Reply With Quote