Old 10-28-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
gone traveling

Good news for YOUR grandchildren

O Youth and Beauty: Children's Looks and Children's Cognitive Development
Daniel S. Hamermesh, Rachel A. Gordon, Robert Crosnoe
NBER Working Paper No. 26412
Issued in October 2019
https://www.nber.org/papers/w26412.pdf

We use data from the 11 waves of the U.S. Study of Early Child Care and Youth Development 1991-2005, following children from ages 6 months through 15 years. Observers rated videos of them, obtaining measures of looks at each age. Given their family income, parents’ education, race/ethnicity and gender, being better-looking raised subsequent changes in measurements of objective learning outcomes. The gains imply a long-run impact on cognitive achievement of about 0.04 standard deviations per standard deviation of differences in looks. Similar estimates on changes in reading and arithmetic scores at ages 7, 11 and 16 in the U.K. National Child Development Survey 1958 cohort show larger effects. The extra gains persist when instrumenting children’s looks by their mother’s, and do not work through teachers’ differential treatment of better-looking children, any relation between looks and a child’s behavior, his/her victimization by bullies or self-confidence. Results from both data sets show that a substantial part of the economic returns to beauty result indirectly from its effects on educational attainment. A person whose looks are one standard deviation above average attains 0.4 years more schooling than an otherwise identical average-looking individual.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"... being better-looking raised subsequent changes in measurements of objective learning outcomes..."

People who look good are also smarter!

But is it a cause-and-effect relationship? Perhaps good looks boost one's self-esteem and confidence, and it enhances success.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another handicap I had to overcome.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To me this is another thing like "tall men achieve more than short men".

Enough positive social feedback goes a long way, even if it is not intentionally conscious. (Maybe *especially* if it's not conscious.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Another handicap I had to overcome.
Heh. Me too. 5' 7.5", mostly bald and average looking at best. Given that I think I've done pretty well.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote