Good ol' fashioned things you still do...

arizona

Arizona sounds a lot like our Castilla. A lot of sun. Dry. Hot in summer, cold in winter. Desertic. Underpopulated.
Tough, stern and serious looking people.

Hot in summer: Yes, very. But only in the low desert.

Cold in winter: Only up in the high country (the part that "outsiders" do not know about)

Underpopulated: Not at all in the metropolitan Phoenix. The high country in contrast is mostly National Forest or Indian Reservation, and yes, underpopulated.

Serious people: 99.9% of people, myself included, do not look like ranchers with leathery skin one sees pictures of in National Geographic. Most of us Arizonans are transplants, and, well, sissies.

About the only old-fashioned thing I do is my methods of cooking/eating - well, some of them. A lot of them. But I still use the microwave quite a bit. And what is available at the grocery store requires much, much less prep than in older times.

And maybe my outdoor activities count, but even there I wear the most modern of clothing and carry the most modern of optics and cameras.

Hiking is old-fashioned, but hiking gear is not. Bird-watching is barely old-fashioned as people didn't start using binocs for bird-watching until around WW II, after which bird-watching really exploded. Photography - even by amateurs is a lot more old-fashioned than bird-watching, but the cameras today - far from it.

I love the new high-tech gear. Wouldn't want to do without it. Even if the activity I engage in is a very traditional one.

Audrey

P.S. I finally found a recording of Bach orchestral music on period instruments that I thought sounded fantastic (Boston Baroque - Orchestral Suites). But of course I downloaded the music from iTunes!!!! And I'm sure it was digitally recorded.

Reading books, and sitting in the library to read newspapers and magazines are one of my favorite old school activities.

I'd say running, but I usually wear a garmin GPS watch and tech shoes and clothes, and there's really not a high tech replacement, so I don't think this qualifies.

Every once in awhile I'll go to the Shakespeare theatre designed with the original stage conditions, and watch a play, or go to the local symphony. Neither has any artificial amplification.

Original "Rules" for good ol' fashioned were no 1s and 0s (computer technology), but electricity is OK.
Not that we free spirits give a hoot about any stinkin' rules, right? :cool:

NW-bound:
In my ever increasing vocabulary "sissy" equals pansy, wimpy, effeminate.... Maybe I don´t have the right meaning....:) for the word...:confused:

I use the word to mean wimpy, e.g. not tough like the cowboys one sees in Western movies, like Clint Eastwood.

Here's a picture of a highly "analog" activity that I am proud of. I built the terraces in the back of my boonies home using rocks that were dislodged during construction. I should have done more of this kind of work, if we get to stay up there more.

img_878965_0_1687b36adb783ec0c40778ad09cd6e26.jpg

I have on been known to resurrect the "Koffee Klatch" on a Saturday morning and hope to do more often. Get up early and put some yeast and sugar with flour and see what I can come up with. Cinnammon Rolls or Sticky Buns with nuts are ready for the oven at 8am and then go dialing for drop in visits from my friends. They visit over coffee for an hour or two and move on. It is really quite a fun way to entertain and an impomptu treat for others busy Sat errands. If they have kids they enjoy it as well as the leftovers. Win-win, fun and simple entertaining which is inexpensive to boot.

Back
Top Bottom