Good reading

MBAustin

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
For those who want to start off the new year with some good and thought-provoking reading:

I find David Brooks to be one of the people most worth reading (NYTimes / syndication) or listening to (NPR and PBS) these days. Even though I don't always agree with him, I appreciate his thoughtful and respectful approach to difficult issues.

He has highlighted what he feels are the best magazine essays of 2012 in two articles last week ("The Sidney Awards"):

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/25/opinion/brooks-the-2012-sidney-awards-i.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/28/opinion/brooks-the-2012-sidney-awards-part-ii.html?ref=davidbrooks&_r=0

I've just started looking at them but so far all I tried to access are available online and free - I just Googled the author and a couple of words from the title.

The article on aging and dementia (A Life Worth Ending) is very relevant to us ER folks and our parents - frightening story but something most of us need to read and think about.

I enjoy his contributions to Meet the Press on Sunday mornings that I watch regularly. He seems quite level headed so I was surprised that he was with the New York Times.

I enjoy his contributions to Meet the Press on Sunday mornings that I watch regularly. He seems quite level headed so I was surprised that he was with the New York Times.
He's their token conservative.

Ha

One good place to see Brooks most weeks is on PBS Newshour every Friday night when he discusses issues with Mark Shields. If only all political debates could be so civil and reasonable.

MB, thanks very much for the link. I just read the Wolff essay and found it very thought provoking. My DH is struggling with a similar story with his dad, and I will share it with him.

Thanks for posting, MBAustin. I have forwarded the Wolff article to a friend whose mother is going through this situation right now. Guilt is a key emotion.

Back
Top Bottom