Good things Come To Those Who Wait

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Been waiting awhile and saw thing morning on Amazon that the price of a brand name 1TB SSD has dropped to below $100.

That was my set time to buy price. But funny thing is I really don't have that much a need for speed and think I'll wait more until prices go down to a dime a dozen :cool: before pulling the trigger.

Attachments

• ssd.jpg
    ssd.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 52
Been waiting awhile and saw thing morning on Amazon that the price of a brand name 1TB SSD has dropped to below $100.

That was my set time to buy price. But funny thing is I really don't have that much a need for speed and think I'll wait more until prices go down to a dime a dozen :cool: before pulling the trigger.

It does not matter how long I wait; after I buy some electronics, it invariably gets cheaper the next year, if not the next month.

So, do I wait forever?

What I have tried to do is to buy only what I really needs. And if I really need something, by definition I cannot wait.

And I do not buy more than I need, because when my needs go up in the future, I can buy bigger and faster things cheaper.

But that 1TB SSD price is really tempting. Still not buying one now, because I have so many other things to do at the moment to spend time moving my digital [-]hoard[/-] treasure like photos and MP3 into new storage devices.

Thanks. But just like you and NW-B, as tempting as $100 for 1TB is, I don't really need it. By the time I do feel the price is worth just doing it, I'll probably just buy a new laptop (which I use as my 'desktop' computer), with SSD. My current laptop/'desktop' is almost 5 years old, and I didn't spend all that much on it, so I'm about due.

I'm waiting for the iTB SD cards to get below $100.

I was the CFO for the largest tech department in my megacorp. I remember the days when asking for 1GB of storage for an system like asking for the world .... and it cost close to $100k.

Boy am I getting old LOL

I was the CFO for the largest tech department in my megacorp. I remember the days when asking for 1GB of storage for an system like asking for the world .... and it cost close to $100k.

Boy am I getting old LOL
You're a youngster! Remember the IBM 3340 with 35MB of storage? It was about 3.5 ft per side, had inch thick cables and needed under floor air conditioning. On Friday afternoons the IT guys and CFO would throw a cloth over top and use it for a card table. :)

Boy am I getting old LOL
Yep, I was working on some data compression routines back in the 80s. Received a call from the head capacity guy. "You know every byte you don't compress is an extra million dollars in disk. No pressure".

Recently, I've bought a 64GB USB 2 pack from Costco. They had a discount on the day. I thought I needed them but could not come up with any use. After 2 weeks, I returned it.

Lunch cards were good enough for me....

I remember 180 lb hard drives with 1meg fixed platter and 1 meh removable platter

Boy am I getting old LOL

Oh, hell, I remember my college lab job updating assembly code for a little computer limited to 16K of memory.

Boy am I getting old LOL
Not as old as I am. I remember buying a 20 meg hard card and 128K memory card for my Corona PC that sped along at 4.77MHz

As long as we are dating ourselves, my first memory card was a card, as in punch card:LOL:. On a Co-op assignment one semester, part of my job was to hand carry briefcases of punch cards from our office in Boston to MIT to use their "super computer". We would do a test run to catch obvious bugs, and then I would go back the next day for ten pounds of paper output.

Those were the days.:facepalm:

Ah, yes. I vividly recall buying my first external hard drive for a personal computer. It was all of 10 MB and cost nearly $1,000 in 1988. That would be over $2,100 today.

The reference to punch card triggered another memory. My company subscribed to GE Tymeshare.It was a teletype machine with an acoustic coupler. The programs and data were inputted on a punch paper tape:facepalm:

By the way, I have perhaps 8TB of storage on my servers, but they are hard drives. I do not keep them running 24/7, except for one NAS with 1TB that is on all the time.

When I have the time, will convert that 24/7 NAS to SSD.

My first job after getting out of the Navy was a Night Computer Operator. It was a Honeywell Machine with 32 kb of Memory with only Punched Cards as input.... I used to load about 10 full boxes of Cards each night (Which were the Sales Orders) -- each box was about 3 feet long... (I never dropped one in 2 years).

We had three 40KB Disk Drives with removable packs that had to be changed depending on which file you needed. The Computer also had 4 Tape Drives, which is where most of the Files were kept.

We acquired a company and had to add 32kb of Memory, at the cost of $32 Grand - Buck a Byte back then.

So, began my Software Career......

Back
Top Bottom