Join Early Retirement Today

Google Fi for iPhone/Samsung
Old 11-28-2018, 07:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Google’s Project Fi mobile service will reportedly be boosted by a major expansion of compatible smartphones this week. Fi will add support for Samsung, OnePlus, and iPhones, according to Droid Life, which reported on a since-removed article at BGR. More handsets from existing Fi partners LG and Motorola will also gain Fi support. The iPhone experience is apparently “in beta,” which is a sign that users might run into bugs or be left without some of Fi’s features.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/27/...-oneplus-rumor

If true, this might convert me away from T-Mobile. I travel internationally enough that the higher speeds would be nice. It might also save money, assuming I start restricting my data usage (unlimited data has made me lazy).

Either way, I'm glad that there's another reasonably priced option for iPhones that isn't T-Mobile.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #2

I read about this yesterday, and the speculation is that iPhones will not be able to take advantage of cellular network switching in the U.S. because iOS can't support the Fi algorithms that do that and the handoffs with WiFi. It's always been possible to use a previously activated Google Fi SIM in an iPhone though; it just limits you to a single cellular network. I did that while waiting for a replacement Android phone, and it was just like having an ordinary T-Mobile iPhone for a few days. It'll also be interesting to see what they provide for foreign network access.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:01 AM   #3

And ... I just got the email announcement. Looks like the network switching limitations are real, but the improvement in international data may be worth it. Here's the official announcement: https://www.blog.google/products/pro...droid-and-ios/

Quote:
Since this is the first time Google Fi is available for iPhones, there are a few extra steps to get set up, which we’ll walk you through in the Google Fi iOS app. No matter what phone you use with Fi, you’ll get great Fi features—like reliable coverage, easy group plans, and high speed international data coverage for the same rates you pay at home. Plus, as always with Fi, there are no contracts and zero hidden fees.

Some plan features will depend on the Android or iOS device you use. So if you’re looking for the full Google Fi experience, including Fi’s unique technology to seamlessly switch between multiple cellular networks, you can use a phone designed for Fi—like the Pixel 3, Moto G6, and any other phone available on the Google Fi website. These phones include special hardware and software to move effortlessly between Google Fi’s networks and provide you with even more security and reliability through Fi’s new enhanced network feature.
If you decide to make the switch and would like a referral code to save $20, PM me.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #4

Nice! I just got an e-mail announcing they're changing the name from "Project Fi" to "Google Fi." I guess I never realized it wasn't called that already!

I also recently got my Google Fi monthly bill. $26.09, which includes taxes and fees. True, it can go up if I use more cellular data, but $30 per month or less is about my average. Plus I get the use of three major networks, instead of just one, and WiFi calling when coverage isn't available.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IMO, having been on Project Fi for a couple of years now, the ability to switch between cellular and VoIP calls is not a big deal. Google's motivation is that it saves them money when our calls go VoIP. Our motivation would be only if we had good WiFi and poor cell coverage. I don't recall this ever being an issue. YMMV of course.

In contrast, the near-worldwide coverage and pay-only-for-what-you-use data are big motivators. We have two lines using Nexux 5X phones and our total bill for both including the data we use is usually well under $50. It only gets larger when we have the occasional home DSL problem and are forced to use our phones as hotspots for internet access.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
IMO, having been on Project Fi for a couple of years now, the ability to switch between cellular and VoIP calls is not a big deal. Google's motivation is that it saves them money when our calls go VoIP. Our motivation would be only if we had good WiFi and poor cell coverage. I don't recall this ever being an issue. YMMV of course.
I'm in the group where network switching makes a big difference. Cell service is intermittently bad in this town, especially near the navy bases (some people think there's a connection). I get noticeably better service with Fi than I ever got when I had company phones provided by AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon. My phone actually rings, and I consistently get notifications for voicemails and texts, it's amazing and wonderful!
Old 11-29-2018, 08:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I hadn’t heard a thing about Fi until reading this thread. I see a piece on CNBC (app) today and will be interested in any reports from iPhone users how well it goes. My understanding from the article is that the new iPhone support is still in beta.

My Verizon contract was long-ago fulfilled and I see a new iPhone in my future.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I hadn’t heard a thing about Fi until reading this thread. I see a piece on CNBC (app) today and will be interested in any reports from iPhone users how well it goes. My understanding from the article is that the new iPhone support is still in beta.

My Verizon contract was long-ago fulfilled and I see a new iPhone in my future.
This article has a good chart that shows how Fi works with iPhones: https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/28/...i-apple-iphone

It's actually worked this way for years, and as I posted above, I've used used Fi on an iPhone myself. Google is just finally admitting out loud that it does work, but they're not actually changing anything about how it works.

The only thing that's really in beta is the iOS version of the Fi app that will allow you to activate a new SIM on an iPhone without putting it in an Android phone first. The app also lets you manage your account and see your data usage on the phone instead of having to visit the website.

So if you want to upgrade sooner than later, it would be safe to do so as long as you have good T-Mobile coverage in the areas where you typically use your phone.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Very useful, thanks for posting, cathy63!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote