Google Spreadsheets

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Well, to an ex-programmer like me it is amazing that they can make a web-based app run so much like an executable app.

It is AJAX (Asynchronous Java Script and XML), the hot, new flavor-of-the-month-(decade?) way to build Web applications loosely denoted by the term Web2.0. As I understand it (which is not much) a fair amount of the application side is running on the client with java script, but the heavy lifting is going on on the server.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
I read that they are working on a word processor, and imagine a calendar program can't be far behind (Yahoo has had one for years). All that for free, available from anywhere, private, shareable, well executed -- yup, I think it's amazing.

All you want is a calendar?

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.google.com/calendar/

Rich_in_Tampa said:
and imagine a calendar program can't be far behind (Yahoo has had one for years). All that for free, available from anywhere, private, shareable, well executed -- yup, I think it's amazing.

They have had a calendar program for awhile. I have been using it for a few months.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
Unlike the forlorn and broken-spiritied ex-programmers who wander around in this forum ;), I actually enjoy programming -- never had to earn a living with it.

I think almost every ex-programmer on this forum (inlcuding me) would tell you that they enjoyed the programming/developing part of their job - it was the B.S. that made it miserable.

Cut-Throat said:
I think almost every ex-programmer on this forum (inlcuding me) would tell you that they enjoyed the programming/developing part of their job - it was the B.S. that made it miserable.

I know , CT. IT has become a real bureaucratic mess in a lot of organizations. Most fun is to work on your own stuff in entrepreneur mode, but at the first hint of succcess you are dealing with investors, liability, insurance, customer support, incorporation and all the rest. Just takes the wind out of your sails.

Doing it without needing to doing it is a little like working in FIRE on some passion you really enjoy, and not caring if you don't make any money at it. I had programmer friends at the U. of Wi who went from successful startups back in to academics for those very reasons (of course then they discover the politics in academics).

But from a purely intellectual perspective, I find it very enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom