Join Early Retirement Today

Google Spreadsheets
Old 08-03-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Google Spreadsheets

MickJ pointed out the new spreadsheets.google.com site. I discoverd that I have access to it thru my Google acct and didn't even know it.

I uploaded some local spreadsheets and created a moderately complex new one. There are a few bugs, but this thing is amazing. Basic Excel on the web, shareable, fast enough, and available-everywhere. It is password protected (though no SSL).

Since the DW and I can both edit it and refer to it, I just might start transferring all my financial stuff there. Would keep identifiers, acct numbers, pw's and other sensitive stuff off.

Next will come google wordprocessing (they acquired Writely). Pretty neat trend in my view.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Google Spreadsheets
Old 08-03-2006, 01:41 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

And then Google Life? I want them just to take my entire life, digitize it, and then live it from there. Everything else they do seems to be an improvement on the original!

They're probably developing the tools now...
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Google has a few cool products but I restrain myself from using most of them. I don't need the mothership tracking my every move and compiling a profile on me.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Google has a few cool products but I restrain myself from using most of them. I don't need the mothership tracking my every move and compiling a profile on me.
That's life in these United States, I'm afraid. I don't worry about them tracking me but I would assume that any data you store with them is vulnerable so I'd be cautious.

I figure I'm already being tracked by MC, VISA, IRS, insurance companies, ISP, employer, licensing boards, the DEA, and more. Frankly, I'm counting on the fact that I'm not that interesting.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
That's life in these United States, I'm afraid. I don't worry about them tracking me but I would assume that any data you store with them is vulnerable so I'd be cautious.

I figure I'm already being tracked by MC, VISA, IRS, insurance companies, ISP, employer, licensing boards, the DEA, and more. Frankly, I'm counting on the fact that I'm not that interesting.
But you forgot all those cameras that we have place around your house..... we see ALLLLLLL..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have run a government database (or five). What worries me is not that my data may be tracked, but rather that it may be tracked incorrectly.
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge
I have run a government database (or five). What worries me is not that my data may be tracked, but rather that it may be tracked incorrectly.
Or, like the military, not tracked at all...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Its not just that the data is vulnerable. They mine and index everything just like they do web pages. Just for statistical interest and no other purpose, and i'm sure they have no evil intent. However, those mines and indexes do have a tendency to get swiped.

So no acct numbers, passwords, or other sensititive data...

Pretty soon, all the apps will be googleized, and they'll offer free broadband, and all you'll need to access it is a google approved piece of desktop s/w or a google appliance and enjoy the advertising and prioritized information based on who pays the most. Maybe not a bad trade. Sort of like tv...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #9

Quote:
MickJ pointed out the new spreadsheets.google.com site. I discoverd that I have access to it thru my Google acct and didn't even know it.

I uploaded some local spreadsheets and created a moderately complex new one. There are a few bugs, but this thing is amazing. Basic Excel on the web, shareable, fast enough, and available-everywhere. It is password protected (though no SSL).

Since the DW and I can both edit it and refer to it, I just might start transferring all my financial stuff there. Would keep identifiers, acct numbers, pw's and other sensitive stuff off.

Next will come google wordprocessing (they acquired Writely). Pretty neat trend in my view.
What is the main advantage this has over excel on a local PC? - What is amazing about it? - I am slowly moving a lot of my stuff to google.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Or, like the military, not tracked at all...
Well, if the government is not tracking (some of) my data, then it's not a big deal as long as I don't expect that data to be tracked.

But when I do expect the government to be tracking my data -- e.g. I expect FDIC to have enough information to determine that I have $99K deposited with Honest Al's Burgers and Savings and Loan -- then it had better have that information and it had better be accurate. Just in case, you know.
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
What is the main advantage this has over excel on a local PC? - What is amazing about it? - I am slowly moving a lot of my stuff to google.
Its free. And its not microsoft. Two key advantages for some folks. Oh yeah, and you can access your spreadsheets from anywhere.

Think on it...if you have your documents, pictures, movies, email, and everything else "on google", you could throw your existing pc into the garbage can, slide your new one in, log in to google and voila!

We used to have the same thing, only it was called a system/370 and a 3270 terminal
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Its free. And its not microsoft. Two key advantages for some folks. Oh yeah, and you can access your spreadsheets from anywhere.

Think on it...if you have your documents, pictures, movies, email, and everything else "on google", you could throw your existing pc into the garbage can, slide your new one in, log in to google and voila!

We used to have the same thing, only it was called a system/370 and a 3270 terminal
I used to have that too!

And then you gotta hope that they back up your files.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Yep, thats the other 64,000 question...
Old 08-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Still true today. Although I guess with inflation, that's the 64,000,000-dollar question.
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
But you forgot all those cameras that we have place around your house..... we see ALLLLLLL..
You need to get out more.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:17 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Well, to an ex-programmer like me it is amazing that they can make a web-based app run so much like an executable app. They trap arrow presses, support almost full text and cell background colors and formatting, auto-save every 10 seconds, have lots of formula support, etc. Amazing in that it works and doesn't feel like the typical java program where everything lags.

The shareability by invitation is cool, too. Use while traveling, share with family etc. Update from home, work, etc. I like it.

Old 08-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny

aka dumb terminals
Old 08-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Well, to an ex-programmer like me it is amazing that they can make a web-based app run so much like an executable app. They trap arrow presses, support almost full text and cell background colors and formatting, auto-save every 10 seconds, have lots of formula support, etc. Amazing in that it works and doesn't feel like the typical java program where everything lags.

The shareability by invitation is cool, too. Use while traveling, share with family etc. Update from home, work, etc. I like it.
Whoa, a programmer to a doctor!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 04:47 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Eh, both poke stuff looking for bugs, while dealing primarily with irrational people who dont understand anything thats going on. Pretty much the same thing.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:53 PM   #20

Quote:

So, amazing from a technology viewpoint rather than a functionality viewpoint? Correct?

Share with family? - Not gonna happen here! - My wife is about as interested in my spreadsheets as I am in getting another job!