Join Early Retirement Today

Google turns evil
Old 07-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Google turns evil

I wouldn't sell Google shares (not that I own them), and I certainly wouldn't short the company.

But they've crossed the line from "startup success story" to "Megacorp": Google is shutting down Google Labs.

Scott Berkun (who left Microsoft after leading part of an IE development team) articulates their newly obtuse behavior way better than I do:
The end of Google Labs « Scott Berkun
Quote:
When you see phrases like ‘extraordinary opportunities’, ‘prioritizing’, ‘process’ and ‘huge amounts of learning’, in reference to something being killed, you know you’re in the fantasy land of press releases. Winding down sounds oh so graceful, like winding down a party. And mentioning Google+, their current darling, is a well-played card.
And the kicker of course is the by-line:
Posted by Bill Coughran, SVP for Research and Systems Infrastructure
When a company has two levels of VPs (SVP = Senior Vice President) you know the days of free willing autonomy and entrepreneurial inspiration have faded.
I guess Google has decided that instead of growing their own entrepreneurs, they'll just buy them...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is a pretty classic PR spin. I'm pissed that never heard about Google Labs it was barely mentioned in Plex and now they've shut it down.

Still evil is too strong, grown-up or boring more like it.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do own stock in Google and as you said Nords, am not about to sell it. However, I too was disappointed to hear of the shutdown of Google Labs. I liked the idea that it was a place that Google could experiment with ideas to see which ones worked. The road to success is paved with many failures and if you don't allow yourself to fail, well, you're not going to have as many successes.

I'm sure they'll manage to "grow their bottom line" (or whatever the current corporate-speak is for this kind of thing) for quite a few years to come though.

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
That is a pretty classic PR spin. I'm pissed that never heard about Google Labs it was barely mentioned in Plex and now they've shut it down.

Still evil is too strong, grown-up or boring more like it.
I think Nords was referring to Google's own corporate motto "Don't be evil".

I only heard about the motto recently while listening to an interview with Doug Edwards, who was employee #59 at Google, and he had just released a book called "I'm feeling lucky".
Old 07-22-2011, 03:14 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Yes I know about the motto. I read long book about Google, which talks about the evolution of the motto. Short version, the engineers loved, HR and marketing weren't happy, the engineers won..
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:13 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Once one ascends to the top, the trick is staying there.

I don't know anything about the decision... because I have not spent time analyzing google.

But...

Apparently google labs is not working out the way someone thought... whether it is a short-sighted or savvy management decision is yet to be determined.

This does not mean they are stopping R&D... just one method of incubating ideas.

My guess would be that they must see a better way to focus their R&D $.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:45 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the heads up. I am currently just starting to look at how to use the Google Labs App Inventor application. Fortunately for me, Google posted in the forum for the application that it will move URLs, but continue to be available. I wonder if part of the reason for closing Google Labs is to continue developing in-house, without giving an early warning on product ideas to competitors.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I still like Google. I wish they had been able to digitize all the books in the world. The certainly have become a big company but that doesn't (yet) mean they are doing evil.