Join Early Retirement Today

Google Voice Now Open
Old 06-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Google Voice Now Open

We've had a few threads related to Google Voice, a free service that you can use to help manage voice communications. Availability has been limited, but now they have opened it to all. If you've been waiting for an invitation, your wait is over.

Google Voice

Coach
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use it for making free US long distance calls from my home phone landline. No catches. Quality seems pretty good. I've been using it for 4-5 months with little or no problems.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just joined - looks like a great service. The cost for international calls looks better than I was paying. Also, it looks as if there isn't a monthly fee for the service.
Thanks
Old 06-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It's a great service. I hope that letting the riff-raff in won't ruin it.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I haven't joined yet...

Have begun using Skype, though I was really only a test dummy for loading it on a lady friend's computer, so she could chat with her daughter in San Diego. Maybe I can get her to do a video hootchie-cootchie show for me as a reward!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Too late. I joined today. I got my name as a permanent phone number. I'll use the free phone calling instead of a Costco phone card.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Aside from the international calling; I wonder how they plan to make money from this.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been Google Voice for probably about a year now and have spent at least $100, maybe more, on international calling. The rates for the country I call most (calling to cell phones) are even cheaper than skype rates though just barely. My call quality has been excellent. I have hundreds of minutes and had only a couple dropped calls and that could have been the cell phone I was calling so maybe can't even blame GV for this.

I like that I get immediate email updates on my cell phone with any VM's or Texts if I don't answer.
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

FYI to anyone from Canada, it isn't available to us yet. Seems like a neat service though.
schmidtjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Aside from the international calling; I wonder how they plan to make money from this.
I'm guessing from ads on the site, although there appear to be none there now. They'll probably add targeted ads (like the ones on the gmail page) based on messages that people leave on your voice mail.