Join Early Retirement Today

Got a Dream Life?
Old 09-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got a Dream Life?

Here's some light reading for your Labor day.
It's about people living their dreams, mostly extreme.
Like the 72,000 square foot house being built in our neck of the woods.
Actually, my dream is a bit simpler. How about a 20 X 20 workshop? Probably won't make next years article.

Dream Life - Forbes
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The older I get, the less and less my "dream life" involves "stuff" and the more it involves owning all of my own time.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The older I get, the less and less my "dream life" involves "stuff" and the more it involves owning all of my own time.
I agree, but that's what the guy who moved to Venice did. He sold the cars, leased the family house and moved into a 2-bedroom apartment in Venice, and did it on the cheap. Food for locals is cheaper, so are prescription drugs, and vacations are just a short train ride away. Or, so he claims - but buy his book for the details,
Old 09-05-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree. Katrina saved on moving expenses. Just living it's amazing how fast junk er 'stuff' reaccumulates.

heh heh heh - I have a much different attitude toward physical items now.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I am living my dream life right now. Well, it would be nice if my house had a garage and a big fancy shower, but overall I have no complaints. I pretty much agree with Ziggy29 and UncleMick about time vs stuff, although if I had lost all my stuff like UncleMick did I think I would have been a basket case. Don't want to find out, that's for sure!

Thoreau agrees with you too, and I love this quote and try to emulate his attitude as much as I can:

"'My greatest skill in life has been to want but little." - - - Henry David Thoreau

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
gone traveling

Ziggie/Unclemick/W2R certainly have a 5 star attitude towards this in my mind, although a 20x20 workshop, adjoined by a 20x20 workout room would be nice and DW would love a 20x20 library, but alas, it ain't gonna happen.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Ziggie/Unclemick/W2R certainly have a 5 star attitude towards this in my mind, although a 20x20 workshop, adjoined by a 20x20 workout room would be nice and DW would love a 20x20 library, but alas, it ain't gonna happen.
I dream of having my 20x20 vision back - without laser surgery...
Old 09-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Here are some ideas:

Workout room: My house, like many built in the 1970's, has both a living room and a den. When we decided to stay here and not move, I turned the living room into a workout room. I think it's 13x22, not huge but big enough for me. I love, love, LOVE the fact that it has a ceiling fan.

Library: Get your wife a Kindle, a reading chair, and a bright light, and she won't need the 20x20 library.

Workshop: Maybe use a bedroom for that? With lots of thought put into design of the workbenches and so on, it might fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My eye doctor says fuggedaboudit....

Old 09-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Here are some ideas:

Workout room: My house, like many built in the 1970's, has both a living room and a den. When we decided to stay here and not move, I turned the living room into a workout room. I think it's 13x22, not huge but big enough for me. I love, love, LOVE the fact that it has a ceiling fan.

Library: Get your wife a Kindle, a reading chair, and a bright light, and she won't need the 20x20 library.

Workshop: Maybe use a bedroom for that? With lots of thought put into design of the workbenches and so on, it might fit.

My eye doctor says fuggedaboudit....
I've thought about using our dinning room for the workout room, but DW is fed up with my man caves. I took over the playroom for my office and big screen, have my ham radio gear in the study, and the workout equipment is in our master bathroom.

I did get DW an ipad2 for her b-day, but hey she is a librarian and loves to turn the pages and have books on the shelves. In our next smaller house, I promise she will get her library with floor to ceiling book shelves, maybe not 20x20 though.

REW, I like your idea for 20x20, but my eyesight is more like 20x200, so I'm a lost cause.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...........I love, love, LOVE the fact that it has a ceiling fan...........
You might not believe this, but you can hang a ceiling fan in any room....... providing your head clears the blades.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You might not believe this, but you can hang a ceiling fan in any room....... providing your head clears the blades.
I think that was what I was hinting.... Anyone who has a home gym room and doesn't have a ceiling fan in it, might want to think about putting one in. It is so pleasant while working out.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You will be getting that dream in a few years courtesy of cataract surgery !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
I think that was what I was hinting.... Anyone who has a home gym room and doesn't have a ceiling fan in it, might want to think about putting one in. It is so pleasant while working out.
My local gym, although air conditioned, has plenty of wall mounted and free standing fans. It does make a workout much more comfortable.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
You will be getting that dream in a few years courtesy of cataract surgery !
Won't it be better to just smoke a joint for cataract?

I'll be living a dream if I didn't have to work because I have to. I look forward to a day when I don't have to work and live a carefree life. Sleep when I'm tired, eat when I'm hungry, go fishing when it suits me, read books that has been collecting dust,...etc.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here too. We've sold or given away a lot in the past few years, continue to do so, and enjoying it immensely - getting ready to downsize our home. I am most interested in learning and experiences, not stuff.

"The best things in life aren't things."

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I don't have a dream life yet, I am not retired. However, with 18 months or so to FI, I am getting mucho closer.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #17

Very interesting stories! I can't believe that I read the golf one 1st. I don't even like golf.

I found this blurb in the article about John Paul DeJoria uplifting and relavent.

What is the role of the American Dream in society?
I see it as very powerful, and I believe it is important that people don’t forget about it. When I listen to the news, I wonder why they are telling people that we’re in the worst economy and society we’ve seen since the Great Depression. In 1980, when we started our company, everything was worse than it is today: Inflation was 12.5%, interest rates were 18% or more, unemployment was 10.5%, our hostages were still held in Iran, and you had to wait in line around the block to get gasoline....

It was worse in 1980.

Life is good.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I don't have a dream life yet, I am not retired. However, with 18 months or so to FI, I am getting mucho closer.........
Wow....congratulations FinanceDude!

---------------------------

DH covets things more than I. He drools a bit over fancy cars and motorcycles. But ask him if he would go back to work to buy said cars/motorcycles, his reply is a resounding "NO!"

Old 09-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Wow....congratulations FinanceDude!

---------------------------

DH covets things more than I. He drools a bit over fancy cars and motorcycles. But ask him if he would go back to work to buy said cars/motorcycles, his reply is a resounding "NO!"

Time for the reset button, I mean 81 months.............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #20

While I'm not yet retired, for a working person I have a dream life.

I work from home fulltime, have a manager that is there when I need her but doesn't meddle when I don't, learning new skills that are very interesting to me (about to certify as a Lean Sigma Black Belt), make north of $100k and have almost no stress.

Very different from a year ago when I first joined this forum and was ready to quit my job of 20+ years because of my insane manager and boring job!

Still looking forward to FIRE, but now not desparately obsessing about it.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote