Join Early Retirement Today

Got a new food sealer
Old 03-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Got a new food sealer

Okay..I'm at it again. After a year of use, unsatisfied with my Seal-a-Meal that I got from Wally World. Darn doesn't doesn't always keep a seal.

So I decided to get a food vaccum sealer to end all future food vaccum sealer purchases. Should arrive in the mail early next week.

http://www.amazon.com/Vacupack-Vacuum-Packer-Original-Sealer/dp/B000FDN7D4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299270295&sr=8-1

A little hefty in price, but from what I've read, seems to work and keep on working.

Plus if needed easily repairable with parts or service (unlike the popular Foodsaver models).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #2

I've heard good things about that machine.

How do you plan to use it, and for what sorts of food?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I've had Foodsaver and Seal-a-Meal (now same parent company as Foodsaver) in the past. The only Foodsaver model that I owned that for the most part kept a seal was an older model (Vac 550). I had bought a newer model that had a built-in bag holder and cutter, but the seal would sometimes wear off within days or weeks of a seal.

How I plan to use it:

1) buying foods in bulk or great deals (ground beef, ribs, chicken leg quarters, hot dogs etc.) and sealing them to keep frozen for another day

2) keeping snacks (nuts, candy, cookies, etc.) fresh in mason jars after originally opening them

3) resealing bags of chips in their foil-type bags

4) keeping air-out of collectibles (coins, etc.) is sealed plastic

In my research, I found out this type of machine was actually an original Foodsaver brand a long long time ago. But Foodsaver decided to go with a more convenient, less reliable method (channel vs nozzle) of approach. But the original machine's design survived under a different company.

eBay Guides - History, Origin, Buy a Home Style Vacuum Packer Sealer

I almost got this one: Amazon.com: VacMaster 87630 Pro 130 Food Sealer, Back: Kitchen & Dining but the reviews weren't as positive, plus I like the idea of a bag holder and using pretty much any vaccum sealer bag.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hmm. Now you have me curious. I bought one years back at Costco. Don't remember the name but I don't think it was much more that $100 bucks at the time. I just thought it was a hassle, the bags expensive, and could not tell you how much more freezer time I got cause I didn't stay with it.

How much more shelf life is it supposed to give you? Right now I just use those gallon zip lock bags and push all the air out of them I can by hand before I zip them. Figure it does some good (but maybe not) Like to hear what you think six months from now.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
gone traveling

It's always good to keep your meat fresh ...

Hey - just a comment on another thread concerning steaks ....
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
It's always good to keep your meat fresh ...

Hey - just a comment on another thread concerning steaks ....

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Hmm. Now you have me curious. I bought one years back at Costco. Don't remember the name but I don't think it was much more that $100 bucks at the time. I just thought it was a hassle, the bags expensive, and could not tell you how much more freezer time I got cause I didn't stay with it.

How much more shelf life is it supposed to give you? Right now I just use those gallon zip lock bags and push all the air out of them I can by hand before I zip them. Figure it does some good (but maybe not) Like to hear what you think six months from now.
When the seal stays, the food sealers make a big difference in keeping food fresh. Yes, there is a cost/benefit that one has to do. Also, deciding on one the seal, what to store non-sealed short-term.

Ads, say keeps food up to 5 times longer than conventional methods.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Here you go...with chart and all:

FoodSaver Vacuum Sealers Can Save You Money

Of course, the bag has to stayed sealed, which isn't happening with my Foodsaver/Seal-a-Meal machines, so I opted for a different brand.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Let us know what you think of it when it arrives!
zaqxsw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaqxsw View Post
Let us know what you think of it when it arrives!
Haven't arrived yet. I'll be sure to report back (thumbs up or thumbs down).

In the meantime some videos on it if you are interested:

(overall selection of machines):

Videos

(the vacupack in action):

http://vimeo.com/18499830

Pretty good stuff if you are into food sealing
Old 03-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Food Saver from Wally World and I vacuum pack all the meat, fish and coffee that I store in my freezer. It definitely helps keep things fresher, longer. I haven't noticed any leak though.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Okay...I got my Vacupack Vacuum Sealer in the mail today. Had a chance to give it a try. All I can say is I love it. The first thing I noticed is that the machine is solidly built. The second thing I noticed is the wide heat bar. There's no looking back. I think this is the final vaccum sealer I'll ever need.

I tried some bags which wouldn't seal properly with my seal-a-meal, but had no problem with this. I'm a happy camper.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The price of the one I got just got bumped up by about $70 over at Amazon since when I bought mine. I actually got mine for only $274 at a place other than Amazon.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Thought I'd give a follow up. After about a month out of town, last night came home, looked in my freezer and examined some bags that I vacuum sealed. Success -- didn't see any bag which had a broken seal that air went back in. Meats still looked bright red.

Furthermore, I couldn't resist and bidded and was winning bidder on two original Foodsavers (they are virtually the same as the Vacupack today) on ebay. After shipping, one for about $30, the other for $45. The $30 looked more worn, but works great. The $45 need $15 of repair. Looks like I have a new hobby