Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Grandfather's Tools - Know any Amish who might like them?
Old 08-07-2022, 03:21 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Grandfather's Tools - Know any Amish who might like them?

I am going through my grandfather's tools and there are a number of them that I will never use. Such as tools for barn building like large diameter boring bits, layout tools like large circle drawing tools, large calipers, and others.

They probably date from the early 20th century.

I think some of these tools have been replaced by more modern devices.

Was noodling who might appreciate them and thought maybe some Amish folks might. Does anyone here have some Amish friends who could look at a few pics with descriptions and tell me if it's worth sending them? I would give them for free - just want to see them go to someone who will use them.
ImThinkin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2022, 05:37 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am not Amish, But love old hand tools... I have a bunch that came from my great grandfather. Planes, Draw Knives, Brace and bits... I'm one that wanders around Cracker Barrel staring at the ceiling for an hour...
Gladly take a look at them.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:18 PM   #3

post them for sale or give-a-way on Craig's List and you'lll have no trouble diisposing of them. i had a chest full of old hand tools from my great uncle via my grandfather. i had no trouble find them a good home.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Try a local historical society, or woodworking club? -ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:12 AM   #5

There is a use for that 100 year old plane? May even have a hand drill.

Hey, I thought DW and I had done every possible project during the pandemic. Now, we can go through the tool boxes looking for antiques.
Z3Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:27 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have a few hand tools from my great grandfathers day (Late 1800's I suspect)... A couple of heavy duty planes, a brace and some bit's, an Axe head and a tap and die set. All well made and very usable...

When I sold a bunch of my tools in the past few years I keep all of those old ones...Unfortunately, they'll probably end up in the trash when I die since no one knows (or cares) about such things anymore.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Unfortunately, they'll probably end up in the trash when I die since no one knows (or cares) about such things anymore.
The other day I brought out my Great Grandfathers Draw Knife, and let my Grandson use it to try and shape a hatchet handle... Hes 10... lots of shavings for a messed up handle... but he tried, had fun, and learned something...
Too watch the same tool used across 6 generations... priceless

I also have the tongue and grove hand planes that he used to make the flooring in their original house... BTW... he would have been 134 this past Saturday.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:28 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My cousin has possession of our Grandfathers hand tools, Grandpa was a carpenter handyman type, like many of his generation.
Cousin love using them and says they work well and are in great shape.
But his are small hand tools, not large ones as OP seems to be describing.

Perhaps a historical society as mentioned might take them.
Maybe contact Lehmans? They are a company who sells tools to the Amish. Maybe they have a museum? They are located in Ohio
Old 08-09-2022, 01:34 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'd use the search function on eBay for completed sales and see if there is any market for the tools. When I disposed of my late FIL's estate, I got more for his tools than for a bunch of new old stock parts he had squirreled away.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:51 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Dreamer View Post
There is a use for that 100 year old plane? ...
A properly sharpened plane is a joy to use. My smallest plane is maybe 3" long and my largest is probably 18". Block planes, jointer planes, rabbet planes, multiplanes like the Stanley 55, jack planes, scraper planes, router planes, ... The list goes on. I am not in it very deep but I probably have ten total planes, each of which has a specific use.

So yes, if the plane is in reasonable physical shape and not missing parts or badly rusted, collectors and users will be interested.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:23 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Old tools are highly sought out by woodworkers who appriciate there function and design. I'm over 60 years old and a few of my most used tools are older than me.
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote