Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-22-2020, 09:04 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
The wife sprays the granite with windex. I don't think wipes are gonna hurt it.

I did this for years in my old house with granite tile countertops. The new place has granite slab and I still use windex to give it a nice shine. We’ve also used wipes recently and before then, dish soap.

The granite looks fine so far. No idea when or if the countertops were sealed.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I mainly disinfect right after washing or cutting raw meat, especially poultry or raw eggs. For cutting I use a board, but always consider there is some contamination around the board, plus packaging.

DH does the overall wiping down surfaces, and he mainly uses granite cleaner.
That makes sense. We've never cut directly on our granite.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:00 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This article claims Windex and other ammonia-based cleaners will break down the seal on polished granite.

However, it also says it's fine to use isopropyl alcohol to disinfect granite. IA is such a potent solvent, it amazes me that it wouldn't degrade the sealer faster than Windex ever could.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cle...-kitchn-202159

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
I did this for years in my old house with granite tile countertops. The new place has granite slab and I still use windex to give it a nice shine. We’ve also used wipes recently and before then, dish soap.

The granite looks fine so far. No idea when or if the countertops were sealed.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:05 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
That makes sense. We've never cut directly on our granite.
Our granite countertop installer told us not to cut things directly on the granite "because it will ruin your knife."
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Since I can't get Lysol Power and Free (with hydrogen peroxide), I just use dish soap and clean the counters more often.

I get it about cats on the counter. They are clean animals, but they do use their paws in their toilets...When I had cats, I trained them not to go on the countertops, except for the spot next to the fridge (so the cats could jump up and sit there). Cats can learn to obey simple rules. One cat went to England with us. I trained her not to jump on the kitchen counters there, and when we returned to the U.S. after 3 years, she actually remembered home rules!

I had two cats and they learned to never go on the table—-when I was there. Noticed little paw prints when I came home.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
I had two cats and they learned to never go on the table—-when I was there. Noticed little paw prints when I came home.
Sounds familiar . We had 'trained' our cats to stay off the counter. Was bragging about it to the cat sitter when she burst out laughing and set us straight.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:57 AM   #27
Administrator

When we had our kitchen built, the young wife intentionally had the granite honed to remove the shine. It has never been sealed. We just clean it with soap and water.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:41 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

No doubt there were infractions, when human backs were turned. I never saw any prints, though. And what I didn't know, couldn't hurt me anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:59 AM   #29

OP here. I was in HEB this morning when I noticed they had small containers of Clorox wipes (35 count). Right on the front of the bottle it indicates it is safe for Finished Wood, Sealed Granite and Stainless Steel.

When I checked the 5-pack of Clorox wipes I purchased earlier this week from Costco, it indicated on the back of the bundle wrapping the same message. I hadn't caught that before. Not sure how long that has been the case with Clorox wipes.

I haven't seen that message with the Lysol wipes, but I figure at a minimum those are safe for Stainless Steel as their wipes indicate non-porous surfaces.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
OP here. I was in HEB this morning when I noticed they had small containers of Clorox wipes (35 count). Right on the front of the bottle it indicates it is safe for Finished Wood, Sealed Granite and Stainless Steel.

When I checked the 5-pack of Clorox wipes I purchased earlier this week from Costco, it indicated on the back of the bundle wrapping the same message. I hadn't caught that before. Not sure how long that has been the case with Clorox wipes.

I haven't seen that message with the Lysol wipes, but I figure at a minimum those are safe for Stainless Steel as their wipes indicate non-porous surfaces.
Since you mentioned stainless steel, it is known that bleach will cause pitting. Clorox wipes uses’quats’ not bleach which is OK on Stainless steel.

Having said this, the amount and frequency for home use of bleach will likely be OK. But quats will definitely be OK
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:49 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Use the wipes for the bathroom. Also, maybe keep one canister in the car for wiping hands/items. Any food bank would love a donation of these too.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:58 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I never realized that cleaners could be a problem. Our black granite seems indestructible. I just use window cleaner. I assume the naturally occurring radon in the granite will kill any residual bacteria.
troutnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Make your own
Old 07-31-2020, 05:05 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Make your own

Mix 3 parts rubbing alc + 1 part filtered water + 8 drops of dawn & put it in a clean spray bottle. I add a little olive or other non-acidic essential oil (like 4 drops) for a nice shine. The mix is cheap to make usually, although I had to pay through the nose for a big bottle of alcohol when I finally ran out. Best of all, it's not full of chemicals harmful to the peeps & pet. I make most of my own cleaning products, since as a chem eng brat (and having worked for a chem co myself for 13 yrs), I do know what harm those ingredients can do.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:13 PM   #34

I'm about halfway through the book An Edge in the Kitchen by Chad Ward, a book (mostly) about kitchen knives. In it, there is a section on cutting boards and sanitizing them. He suggests vinegar works just as well as bleach with none of the bad side effects, the only downside being that it takes a little longer. According to him the vinegar concentration gets stronger as it evaporates and does in the strongest of the little buggers.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:20 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I use dish soap and water on my countertops. I've had both cats and granite for years. Cats do not go on kitchen counters.
bluelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:17 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post

I read the surface that is wiped with the Clorox wipe has to stay wet for minutes (3?) to be effective. I don't know how to ensure that without rubbing the surface continuously for the 3 minutes. I think the peroxide ones call for 10 minutes of wetness. I got rid of those. This might sound weird but, daily, I wrap a piece of Costco cling wrap on my high touch SS handles that I figured wouldn't weather lots of disinfecting well. Cheap, easy, and quick.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut1 View Post
I never realized that cleaners could be a problem. Our black granite seems indestructible. I just use window cleaner. I assume the naturally occurring radon in the granite will kill any residual bacteria.
I think that's called the Marie Curie effect.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:11 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Most granite suppliers recommend annual re-sealing of the counter top.

We went with quartz on our latest kitchen, but it is essentially the same thing.

Also, it is a good idea to have 2 cutting boards, one for raw meats and another for vegetables.

The chemist advice a few posts earlier is a great idea to make your own cleaner! I am a little biased because my dad formulated 409.
Beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:49 AM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

We use a 3 step process which is basically clean, rinse, and dry.

1. Wipe with soap & water or a "stone" cleaner
2. Wipe with clean water
3. Towel dry

So in essence we are rinsing off whatever we used to clean the stone. Our 10 yr old granite, sealed 10 years ago, still looks new.
Scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Our granite supplier told us to never use a harsh cleaner on our countertops. He said it would strip the sealant.

Also recommended Pledge Antibacterial multisurface cleaner. We also reseal our granite annually based on his recommendation.
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote