Granite vs Quartz countertops

How many years ago did you price quartz? Quartz used to be very expensive, but the price has come down a lot in the recent years.

What color is your granite?

Two years ago. Our granite is medium brown speckled.

Bellow is a pic of our granite slab before install. Don't have any after pics handy. Looked at quartz but it didn't have the pop we were looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_1768.jpg
    IMG_1768.jpg
    842.1 KB · Views: 63
We remodeled the kitchen and both bathrooms in the house we are selling. We went with quartz because it is so durable and carefree, and is just as attractive to us as granite.

Pick what you like the looks and costs of and you won’t go wrong. Most surfaces are so much more durable than the original formica.

Between granite and quartz I’d choose quartz hands down. They’re about the same cost. Granite is porous and can stain or react to acidic foods, not so with quartz. Granite is much easier to chip than quartz, our granite chipped at the edge of the sink. And you can buy quartz countertops with a granite-like “natural look” if so desired. Our next home will definitely have quartz counters in the kitchen if not throughout.

Have had granite in last 3 houses, only sealed them once and never had any stains. All 3 were a medium color. Have been in this house 6 years.

Between granite and quartz I’d choose quartz hands down. They’re about the same cost. Granite is porous and can stain or react to acidic foods, not so with quartz. Granite is much easier to chip than quartz, our granite chipped at the edge of the sink. And you can buy quartz countertops with a granite-like “natural look” if so desired. Our next home will definitely have quartz counters in the kitchen if not throughout.

There are pluses/minuses to each material. Granite can take a hot pan better then quartz as I understand it. To fix chips on a granite edge, some clear materials can be used and probably requires a service to do properly. I think the choice of edge design can mitigate problems.

Quartz is really just "engineered stone" which is ground up natural materials (quartz primarily, although other materials can be added to meet aesthetic features) and bound with a synthetic resin. Granite is natural rock which is sliced into slabs, polished, and cut to installation size.

Both are quite nice and durable.

We have granite in our primary home and Taj Majal Quartzite in our Florida condo. We love them both and haven’t had any staining issues. But the quartzite is stunningly beautiful compared to any other countertops I’ve seen.
As mentioned by someone earlier, quartz is engineered. When we were looking, the slabs were also smaller requiring more seams in the countertop.

I am not sure which way I would go and may need to decide this soon (we may be replacing cabs and counters). The last couple of houses I've had granite. The last house was blue pearl and the one before was a darker color.

Honestly, I never sealed my granite. These were existing houses so maybe someone did it...but I didn't. I would have if they needed but they didn't. And, I definitely cut acidic foods on the granite. I mean basically the granite was my cutting board for anything that was non-poultry/fish/meat.

I never had any problem with the granite. Never a chip. Never a stain. Maybe it would have been different with a lighter colored granite.

That said -- I think a lot of the quartz cabs are nice too. I will probably go for whatever looks the best. If I decide on a light color I am more likely to go for quartz.

Current house has soapstone which I had often thought I wanted. Now -- I don't want soapstone. It is definitely pretty and it looks very nice. But, I can't cut on it. I made the mistake of cutting some vegetables on it and now I have a bunch of little scratch marks. I know I can buff them out, but who wants to? So, when we replace the counters - no soapstone.

That's funny... I love soapstone but it is a budget buster. I think you can buff out the scratches with mineral oil.

I have been very happy with my Corian countertops. I like the smooth line between the sink and countertop.

We replaced 2 of our bath vanity tops with quartz last year. I’m now in the process of demo’ing the kitchen - replacing our 24 year old corian with quartz. We have granite on our bar. I like the looks of granite, but it has to be sealed. DW likes quartz because there is no maintenance.

DD has had her townhouse with tons of granite for twelve years and it’s never been resealed. Our granite kitchen counters are five years old and we’ve never resealed them. Both DD’s and ours look mighty fine, shiny, no chips, blah blah. There are good reasons to prefer different surfaces but granite resealing wasn’t one for us.

We went with granite, because our original counter tops were 4 inch tiles, which DW hated. The funny thing was, when we went to the stone yard to pick one, we came around a corner from opposite directions and picked the same one! It was called Madura Gold, and we love it.
At the same time we went to a single sink, which is great for washing large pots and pans, and a new higher Kohler faucet

Attachments

• IMG_5040.jpg
    IMG_5040.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5045.jpg
    IMG_5045.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
People are sold on quartz because “you have to seal granite.” Sealing the granite is simple, takes little time, and only has to be done twice a year at most. If you’ve ever wiped down your wooden furniture with Pledge or washed the sink with a spray cleaner, you’ve done most of what is equivalent to sealing. Clear the counter, clean it, spray on the sealant, leave for - IIRC - 20 minutes, then wipe it off. Done.

We put granite in our kitchen about 4 years ago. It's perfect and never been re-sealed since the installation. No stains, clouds, etc. Looks like it was put in yesterday.

We replaced 2 of our bath vanity tops with quartz last year. I’m now in the process of demo’ing the kitchen - replacing our 24 year old corian with quartz. We have granite on our bar. I like the looks of granite, but it has to be sealed. DW likes quartz because there is no maintenance.

Well, not every granite needs to be sealed. We never sealed any of ours and it was fine. Maybe if it was a light color it would have been different. But ours wasn't all that dark in the last house (Blue Pearl).

Ours is a darker granite. The supplier sold us the sealer and told us to keep it sealed. Our bar granite is slightly absorbent. A condensation ring from a glass will sometimes leave a ring for a few hours. But we have never had any lasting stains on it.

We like the natural coloration of the granite. The quartz just seems ho hum to us. We like the veins and the coloration as it moves through the slab, We book matched our slab at the one or 2 seams and it looks great.

That said I'm seeing more quartz in the new construction. Things go in cycles. Corian was it after the formica, Then granite. Now the man mades are popular

We like the natural coloration of the granite. The quartz just seems ho hum to us. We like the veins and the coloration as it moves through the slab, We book matched our slab at the one or 2 seams and it looks great.

That said I'm seeing more quartz in the new construction. Things go in cycles. Corian was it after the formica, Then granite. Now the man mades are popular
Though early examples and current low end quartz looks manmade, you can buy quartz countertops that mimic granite, marble, soapstone, etc. now too. Some examples here https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/all-about-quartz-countertops.
Types-Of-Stone-Countertops-quartzite.jpg

QUARZITE_WHITE_CC_006.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom