Granite vs Quartz countertops

Why not? I mean I do this all the time. Well, I did it when I had granite or tile. Never had a problem from it. I am actually totally puzzled by this because I don't even know what I would do with the hot pan if I didn't put it on the countertop....

+1
I put all hot pans directly on my granite countertop for many years. Like you, I never had a problem.
Fine and dandy. I guess I got in the habit of putting hot pans on a trivet, an unused burner or most often just another potholder after years of Formica and Corian. And knowing, however remote, that it can crack or discolor (very expensive) granite, quartz or other countertops - I choose not to take the chance as I couldn’t overlook damage if it happened, and it’s an expensive PITA to fix or replace. Why take unnecessary chances?

https://aswstone.com/can-i-put-hot-pans-on-granite-countertops/

Last edited:
Maybe not?

"Induction cookware must be made of a magnetic-based material, such as cast iron or magnetic stainless steel. Fully clad cookware brands, such as All-Clad Stainless, Viking Cookware, and Mauviel M'cooks stainless work on induction cooktops because they're magnetic."
I understand, all our All-Clad LTD, Mauviel copper and a few misc pieces would have to be replaced if we go with induction.

Last edited:
It was big fun tossing all the aluminum stuff in the trash and getting fancy new magnetic stuff!

I figure that whatever is the hottest trend in houses when we are buying a place will be obsolete and dated by the time we sell. I have seen granite countertops referred to as 'dated'.

We built a new house 3 years ago, and installed a corian-type man-made surface. It was slightly more expensive than formica, but significantly less expensive than granite or quartz. We had thought about using formica just to hold down costs until everything was built and then select a quartz that would work well with the space. We like these countertops so much that we will probably never put in granite or quartz.
We are looking for a winter home now, and would prefer to find some place that needs a kitchen refurb and is priced accordingly. A lot of places have granite and tile that does not appeal to us such that it does not represent a valuable upgrade to the house. There are some that are beautiful as well.

Just got an induction range. Almost all of my pans were already induction friendly. We still have Formica. It came with the house. It’s hardly damaged at all, due to our habit of using pot holders and the stove top for hot pans. Now I can just lay a towel on the range to keep scratches at bay when pulling stuff out of the oven. I don’t have the budget for a kitchen remodel yet, but this thread is a keeper for planning. I think a dark granite is very appealing.

Here are some pictures of the Taj Majal Quartzite we have on our Florida condo.
We love how it looks and it’s more dense than granite.
IMG_0017.JPGIMG_0018.JPGIMG_0019.JPGIMG_0023.JPGIMG_0021.JPG

That is very nice looking.

See post #52. Is that light enough? That is the slab used for my counter tops.
Only have them for a few months but so far everything spilled just beads up and does not soak in.
Well, it's definitely lighter than some, but not as light as what I would like... Great nothing soaks in though.

Me Likey. Very pretty. Is that quartzite in the shower too? Mrs Scrapr would like the shower doors almost all the way up. She like the steam effect

Me Likey. Very pretty. Is that quartzite in the shower too? Mrs Scrapr would like the shower doors almost all the way up. She like the steam effect

The only quartzite in our showers are on the sill below the glass. The walls and floors are tile or river rock. The top of the glass doors are about three inches from the top. Our master bath shower, shown in the picture below, has two shower heads with body sprays. Love them!
IMG_0022.JPG

D3 and D5 are induction compatible.
Who buys LTD?
Sorry you don't approve of our choices. We bought our All-Clad years ago, when induction stovetops were still new and not as widely accepted - though they're still a small but growing segment of the market. I notice LTD has been reintroduced after a hiatus of several years...

Last edited:

Gorgeous!

DH wanted lighter cabinets so I went with a darker countertop although my preference was the opposite with countertops such as yours. After much research and discussions with various experts and looking at all available, we went with granite. Couldn't be happier. We were also looking at quartzite but were warned that some quartzite acts like marble and we should make sure about what we were buying. One of the tile places had such quartzite labeled; others did not.

Gorgeous!

DH wanted lighter cabinets so I went with a darker countertop although my preference was the opposite with countertops such as yours. After much research and discussions with various experts and looking at all available, we went with granite. Couldn't be happier. We were also looking at quartzite but were warned that some quartzite acts like marble and we should make sure about what we were buying. One of the tile places had such quartzite labeled; others did not.

Thanks! We were told that some dealers try to pass off marble as quartzite, not that it acts like quartzite. Our contractor recommended a couple of good places he’s used before and we went there after doing some online research.

I figure that whatever is the hottest trend in houses when we are buying a place will be obsolete and dated by the time we sell. I have seen granite countertops referred to as 'dated'.

We built a new house 3 years ago, and installed a corian-type man-made surface. It was slightly more expensive than formica, but significantly less expensive than granite or quartz. We had thought about using formica just to hold down costs until everything was built and then select a quartz that would work well with the space. We like these countertops so much that we will probably never put in granite or quartz.
We are looking for a winter home now, and would prefer to find some place that needs a kitchen refurb and is priced accordingly. A lot of places have granite and tile that does not appeal to us such that it does not represent a valuable upgrade to the house. There are some that are beautiful as well.

I've seen that referred to as "pergraniteel" (Pergo, granite, stainless steel)

What type of man-made material did you select for your countertops?

I want to replace the original Formica countertops (porcelain sink) with something more durable & an under-mount sink.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about what is “in” or “out,” but get what you like. Unless you’re remodeling to sell. You are the one that has to enjoy it, so don’t let HGTV decide for you what you want. They all look nice and all are durable.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about what is “in” or “out,” but get what you like. Unless you’re remodeling to sell. You are the one that has to enjoy it, so don’t let HGTV decide for you what you want. They all look nice and all are durable.

I think that’s what I am going to end up doing. Why worry about the resale value when we have no plans to sell the house in the near future.

I think that’s what I am going to end up doing. Why worry about the resale value when we have no plans to sell the house in the near future.

That's the best idea. In many cases, the future new buyer's wife will have anything you put in torn out for her choices anyway.

That's the best idea. In many cases, the future new buyer's wife will have anything you put in torn out for her choices anyway.
Exactly!!

Consumer Reports covered this a couple of years ago and they gave the nod to quartz over granite as I recall.

We installed quartz in part to avoid any radon concerns. They still look good after 8 or so years. We had ours installed by Lowe's. The price was very reasonable. We had a few issues with the subcontractor, not the work but some unreasonable delays and prep work issues. Lowe's sent a manger out to supervise the subcontractor and gave us a partial refund for the unnecessary delays while our kitchen was out of commission. So despite a few delays, Lowe's took care of our complaints and the countertops look very nice so we were happy with the overall service, cost and finished product.

Back
Top Bottom