Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2018, 09:30 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Why not? I mean I do this all the time. Well, I did it when I had granite or tile. Never had a problem from it. I am actually totally puzzled by this because I don't even know what I would do with the hot pan if I didn't put it on the countertop....
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1
I put all hot pans directly on my granite countertop for many years. Like you, I never had a problem.
Fine and dandy. I guess I got in the habit of putting hot pans on a trivet, an unused burner or most often just another potholder after years of Formica and Corian. And knowing, however remote, that it can crack or discolor (very expensive) granite, quartz or other countertops - I choose not to take the chance as I couldn’t overlook damage if it happened, and it’s an expensive PITA to fix or replace. Why take unnecessary chances?

https://aswstone.com/can-i-put-hot-p...e-countertops/

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Maybe not?

"Induction cookware must be made of a magnetic-based material, such as cast iron or magnetic stainless steel. Fully clad cookware brands, such as All-Clad Stainless, Viking Cookware, and Mauviel M'cooks stainless work on induction cooktops because they're magnetic."
I understand, all our All-Clad LTD, Mauviel copper and a few misc pieces would have to be replaced if we go with induction.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

It was big fun tossing all the aluminum stuff in the trash and getting fancy new magnetic stuff!
Old 07-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

I figure that whatever is the hottest trend in houses when we are buying a place will be obsolete and dated by the time we sell. I have seen granite countertops referred to as 'dated'.

We built a new house 3 years ago, and installed a corian-type man-made surface. It was slightly more expensive than formica, but significantly less expensive than granite or quartz. We had thought about using formica just to hold down costs until everything was built and then select a quartz that would work well with the space. We like these countertops so much that we will probably never put in granite or quartz.
We are looking for a winter home now, and would prefer to find some place that needs a kitchen refurb and is priced accordingly. A lot of places have granite and tile that does not appeal to us such that it does not represent a valuable upgrade to the house. There are some that are beautiful as well.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Hot pan will hurt quartz as we can personally attest to. Dang it.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got an induction range. Almost all of my pans were already induction friendly. We still have Formica. It came with the house. Itís hardly damaged at all, due to our habit of using pot holders and the stove top for hot pans. Now I can just lay a towel on the range to keep scratches at bay when pulling stuff out of the oven. I donít have the budget for a kitchen remodel yet, but this thread is a keeper for planning. I think a dark granite is very appealing.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #107

Here are some pictures of the Taj Majal Quartzite we have on our Florida condo.
We love how it looks and itís more dense than granite.
IMG_0017.JPGIMG_0018.JPGIMG_0019.JPGIMG_0023.JPGIMG_0021.JPG
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #108
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I understand, all our All-Clad LTD, Mauviel copper and a few misc pieces would have to be replaced if we go with induction.
Mauviel copper, yes.
All-Clad stainless, no.
Look at replacing Mauviel with https://www.demeyere-online.com/cont.../atlantis.html
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:03 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Mauviel copper, yes.
All-Clad stainless, no.
Look at replacing Mauviel with https://www.demeyere-online.com/cont.../atlantis.html
All-Clad LTD is hard anodized alum, alum core with SS linings, all unusable with induction.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
That is very nice looking.
Katsmeow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:42 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
That is very nice looking.

Thank you!
Old 07-24-2018, 02:02 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
See post #52. Is that light enough? That is the slab used for my counter tops.
Only have them for a few months but so far everything spilled just beads up and does not soak in.
Well, it's definitely lighter than some, but not as light as what I would like... Great nothing soaks in though.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #113

Quote:
Me Likey. Very pretty. Is that quartzite in the shower too? Mrs Scrapr would like the shower doors almost all the way up. She like the steam effect
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
Me Likey. Very pretty. Is that quartzite in the shower too? Mrs Scrapr would like the shower doors almost all the way up. She like the steam effect

The only quartzite in our showers are on the sill below the glass. The walls and floors are tile or river rock. The top of the glass doors are about three inches from the top. Our master bath shower, shown in the picture below, has two shower heads with body sprays. Love them!
IMG_0022.JPG
Old 07-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #115
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
All-Clad LTD is hard anodized alum, alum core with SS linings, all unusable with induction.
D3 and D5 are induction compatible.
Who buys LTD?
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
D3 and D5 are induction compatible.
Who buys LTD?
Sorry you don't approve of our choices. We bought our All-Clad years ago, when induction stovetops were still new and not as widely accepted - though they're still a small but growing segment of the market. I notice LTD has been reintroduced after a hiatus of several years...

Old 07-24-2018, 02:52 PM   #117

Quote:
Gorgeous!

DH wanted lighter cabinets so I went with a darker countertop although my preference was the opposite with countertops such as yours. After much research and discussions with various experts and looking at all available, we went with granite. Couldn't be happier. We were also looking at quartzite but were warned that some quartzite acts like marble and we should make sure about what we were buying. One of the tile places had such quartzite labeled; others did not.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Gorgeous!

DH wanted lighter cabinets so I went with a darker countertop although my preference was the opposite with countertops such as yours. After much research and discussions with various experts and looking at all available, we went with granite. Couldn't be happier. We were also looking at quartzite but were warned that some quartzite acts like marble and we should make sure about what we were buying. One of the tile places had such quartzite labeled; others did not.

Thanks! We were told that some dealers try to pass off marble as quartzite, not that it acts like quartzite. Our contractor recommended a couple of good places heís used before and we went there after doing some online research.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
I figure that whatever is the hottest trend in houses when we are buying a place will be obsolete and dated by the time we sell. I have seen granite countertops referred to as 'dated'.

We built a new house 3 years ago, and installed a corian-type man-made surface. It was slightly more expensive than formica, but significantly less expensive than granite or quartz. We had thought about using formica just to hold down costs until everything was built and then select a quartz that would work well with the space. We like these countertops so much that we will probably never put in granite or quartz.
We are looking for a winter home now, and would prefer to find some place that needs a kitchen refurb and is priced accordingly. A lot of places have granite and tile that does not appeal to us such that it does not represent a valuable upgrade to the house. There are some that are beautiful as well.
I've seen that referred to as "pergraniteel" (Pergo, granite, stainless steel)

What type of man-made material did you select for your countertops?

I want to replace the original Formica countertops (porcelain sink) with something more durable & an under-mount sink.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:40 PM   #120

Personally, I wouldnít worry about what is ďinĒ or ďout,Ē but get what you like. Unless youíre remodeling to sell. You are the one that has to enjoy it, so donít let HGTV decide for you what you want. They all look nice and all are durable.