Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Personally, I wouldnít worry about what is ďinĒ or ďout,Ē but get what you like. Unless youíre remodeling to sell. You are the one that has to enjoy it, so donít let HGTV decide for you what you want. They all look nice and all are durable.

I think thatís what I am going to end up doing. Why worry about the resale value when we have no plans to sell the house in the near future.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I think thatís what I am going to end up doing. Why worry about the resale value when we have no plans to sell the house in the near future.
That's the best idea. In many cases, the future new buyer's wife will have anything you put in torn out for her choices anyway.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
That's the best idea. In many cases, the future new buyer's wife will have anything you put in torn out for her choices anyway.
Exactly!!
Old 07-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #124

Consumer Reports covered this a couple of years ago and they gave the nod to quartz over granite as I recall.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We installed quartz in part to avoid any radon concerns. They still look good after 8 or so years. We had ours installed by Lowe's. The price was very reasonable. We had a few issues with the subcontractor, not the work but some unreasonable delays and prep work issues. Lowe's sent a manger out to supervise the subcontractor and gave us a partial refund for the unnecessary delays while our kitchen was out of commission. So despite a few delays, Lowe's took care of our complaints and the countertops look very nice so we were happy with the overall service, cost and finished product.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
Here are some pictures of the Taj Majal Quartzite we have on our Florida condo.
We love how it looks and itís more dense than granite.
That looks great!

I am another person that does not put hot pots and pans on countertops. I also use a cutting board to chop food and do not chop on the countertops.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:00 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
That looks great!

I am another person that does not put hot pots and pans on countertops. I also use a cutting board to chop food and do not chop on the countertops.
^That^
Not worried about scratching the countertop but more so dulling my blades.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:50 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
^That^

Not worried about scratching the countertop but more so dulling my blades.

The fabricator cutting our quartzite needed special blades to cut it and had to change blades frequently. Iím not worried about scratching the countertop.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #129

Well, my DH and I went and looked at samples at Home Depot and Lowe's and my DH was totally OK with quartz, pointing at which ones he liked, etc. After that, we went to a local countertop company with a warehouse displaying big slabs of quartz and granite in the back of the showroom. Wow, those granite slabs had such a big impact on both of us. We felt like we were in some kind of nature gallery. Each stone had unique energy about them. Many of them were stunningly beautiful. We didn't get the same impact from quartz.

Anyway, we're now on the granite track. I was initially going for very light-colored quartz but now I'm warming up to very dark (blackish) granite...
Old 08-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #130

Granite is a natural stone that may have naturally occurring pyrites and may also may release radon. The pyrites, when exposed to water or oxygen will snap, crackle or pop, unless sealed. I wanted real granite for our counter tops, because I love the real beauty of natural stone. DW, outvoted me, and we have quartz in our kitchen and 3 baths. You know the saying," Happy wife,........."
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Granite is a natural stone that may have naturally occurring pyrites and may also may release radon. The pyrites, when exposed to water or oxygen will snap, crackle or pop, unless sealed. I wanted real granite for our counter tops, because I love the real beauty of natural stone. DW, outvoted me, and we have quartz in our kitchen and 3 baths. You know the saying," Happy wife,........."

I heard about the radon but people still get granite right? I wonder if people test for radon at all?

As for the happy wife, Iím glad my DH is in the same page as me.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #132
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Radon can be present in any rock, and since kitchens and bathrooms are well ventilated it's a pretty miniscule risk.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Radon can be present in any rock, and since kitchens and bathrooms are well ventilated it's a pretty miniscule risk.

+1
Radon is even emitted from concrete. But, like granite, itís in such small amounts itís not a concern. Homes with elevated radon levels usually get it from the soil they are built on. These can be remediated with venting.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:53 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
And don't even think about the radiation exposer you get from flying.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #135
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th Birthday View Post
Quartz can be ruined by a hot pan, so we have ruled it out for kitchen use. Quarztite and granite come is various levels of porosity, which affects stain absorbtion, and colors, which affects your ability to see stains. We use a granite cleaner/sealer, so the stone is sealed every time we clean it.
what is the name of the cleaner/sealer and where do you get it? This sounds like a good idea if it actually seals it.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
what is the name of the cleaner/sealer and where do you get it? This sounds like a good idea if it actually seals it.

The best sealer I know is 511 Porous Plus Sealer available on Amazon. You can find less expensive products that clean and seal in local grocery stores.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:44 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
This stuff https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LGY10G..._t1_B000VTYRTA
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #138

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45th Birthday View Post

Out of curiosity, I went to the amazon link provided and it says that it's not a Granite sealer (??) at the end of the 4th bullet point under "About the Product"

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

It is not a stand-alone sealer, but after the stone has been sealed, this stuff keeps it sealed. Look at the reviews and the questions. Most people (like us) do not use a stand-alone sealer in addition to this.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #140

Quote:
Iíve always bought from this place:

https://www.mbstonecare.com

I used to have an all natural stone shower. Never again. This places products always worked and never ruined my stone. With my granite counter tops, Iíve never used anything yet because they came sealed guaranteed for ten years. I my look into something in a year or so at the half way point. After natural stone, granite is a breeze. I think our shower was travertine. It was very porous.