Granite vs Quartz countertops

We’re looking at a lot of model homes. Quartz and materials that appear solid in color are in.

People are sold on quartz because “you have to seal granite.” Sealing the granite is simple, takes little time, and only has to be done twice a year at most. If you’ve ever wiped down your wooden furniture with Pledge or washed the sink with a spray cleaner, you’ve done most of what is equivalent to sealing. Clear the counter, clean it, spray on the sealant, leave for - IIRC - 20 minutes, then wipe it off. Done.

Glad you posted this. We've had granite for 10 years or so. The installers left a spray bottle of cleaner/sealer which we use 1 or 2 times a year. When I read the complaints about sealing granite I wondered if we were doing something wrong. Glad to hear that "spray it on, wipe it off" is the process as that is what we've been doing. The "Pledge" analogy is a good one.

It seems the seal works like a water-proof spray? The sofa I bought years ago came scotchguarded, and if I spilled anything liquid, it beaded up instead of soaking in, and the seal on the granite works like that, I assume, from the photos I've seen on the Internet. So if you spill nothing on it, I imagine you don't need the seal.

So to people who responded that they never sealed their granite and haven't had any stain issues, maybe you are such a clean, non-klutzy bunch of folks who haven't spilled anything major?

It seems the seal works like a water-proof spray? The sofa I bought years ago came scotchguarded, and if I spilled anything liquid, it beaded up instead of soaking in, and the seal on the granite works like that, I assume, from the photos I've seen on the Internet. So if you spill nothing on it, I imagine you don't need the seal.

So to people who responded that they never sealed their granite and haven't had any stain issues, maybe you are such a clean, non-klutzy bunch of folks who haven't spilled anything major?

Well, we have had our granite in the kitchen for over 10 years. Never sealed it. I did the "water test" where you pour a small amount of water on the granite and see how long it takes to soak in, if ever. I waited over 30 minutes, and it never soaked in. Just stayed in a puddle on top. According to the test, no sealing is needed. And no, I am far from non-klutzy/non-messy. I poured the water right next to the sink area where most activity happens - plates/dishes/pots/glasses always being set down, cutting/dicing happening, etc. No soaking in at all.

6 year old granite in kitchen. Spilled red wine on it all the time. Never stained.
Marble vanity tops in two of the baths. Stains just by looking at it.

Lots of granites just don't require sealing either because they have less porous rock or because they're dark in color. One of the reasons I chose Verde Butterfly granite for our counters 15 years ago is that it does not require any special products or sealers, and in fact, sealers can create a dull film on the surface so they're not recommended. It's a dark green that's mostly chunks of feldspar with white quartz inclusions, gold veining and some small red garnets that flare when the sun hits it. I assure you, this counter has had all kinds of stuff spilled or dripped on it, including red wine left overnight, and it still looks beautiful.

Though early examples and current low end quartz looks manmade, you can buy quartz countertops that mimic granite, marble, soapstone, etc. now too. Some examples here https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/all-about-quartz-countertops.
Types-Of-Stone-Countertops-quartzite.jpg

QUARZITE_WHITE_CC_006.jpg

I have not noticed those. Thanks. The ones I see are a monolithic pattern. I started a personal rule a long time ago. Mrs Scrapr & I bought an Olds Auroura. It was sold on the premise...just like a Cadillac only cheaper. It was a POS. If I ever have a chance to buy something that is "just like____ only____ I am going to go by the real thing

My own personal rule. YMMV

Though early examples and current low end quartz looks manmade, you can buy quartz countertops that mimic granite, marble, soapstone, etc. now too. Some examples here https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/all-about-quartz-countertops.
Types-Of-Stone-Countertops-quartzite.jpg

QUARZITE_WHITE_CC_006.jpg

Everyone should get what they like and are willing to pay for. If we want something that looks like the real thing and the real thing is available, we go with the real thing.

We are having our main bathroom gutted for remodeling this week. We were shown many choices of countertop materials that were very nice but we went with the granite because it looks and acts like what it is.

Quartz can be ruined by a hot pan, so we have ruled it out for kitchen use. Quarztite and granite come is various levels of porosity, which affects stain absorbtion, and colors, which affects your ability to see stains. We use a granite cleaner/sealer, so the stone is sealed every time we clean it.

Well, we have had our granite in the kitchen for over 10 years. Never sealed it. I did the "water test" where you pour a small amount of water on the granite and see how long it takes to soak in, if ever. I waited over 30 minutes, and it never soaked in. Just stayed in a puddle on top. According to the test, no sealing is needed. And no, I am far from non-klutzy/non-messy. I poured the water right next to the sink area where most activity happens - plates/dishes/pots/glasses always being set down, cutting/dicing happening, etc. No soaking in at all.
Sounds good. It's either your granite is not as porous, or the seal is really good, but I'm no expert. After seeing some stains on white-grey granite countertops on the internet, I must admit - I'm a little weary because I want light-colored countertops...

Anybody own very light colored (white with grey streaks) granite countertops?

Lots of granites just don't require sealing either because they have less porous rock or because they're dark in color. One of the reasons I chose Verde Butterfly granite for our counters 15 years ago is that it does not require any special products or sealers, and in fact, sealers can create a dull film on the surface so they're not recommended. It's a dark green that's mostly chunks of feldspar with white quartz inclusions, gold veining and some small red garnets that flare when the sun hits it. I assure you, this counter has had all kinds of stuff spilled or dripped on it, including red wine left overnight, and it still looks beautiful.

That sounds really nice. I'm impressed that you actually know what you are looking at in the stone.

:LOL: Uh, no. I spilled plenty of stuff. Worse, I had 3 kids who cooked and made meals on the granite and spilled lots of stuff. Also, I did things like cut tomatoes on the granite. No issue. Now to be clear I did not have super light granite. The lightest was Blue Pearl.

Quartz can be ruined by a hot pan, so we have ruled it out for kitchen use. Quarztite and granite come is various levels of porosity, which affects stain absorbtion, and colors, which affects your ability to see stains. We use a granite cleaner/sealer, so the stone is sealed every time we clean it.

That is interesting about the quartz and would be a dealbreaker for me.

It remains me when I rented an apartment after I got out of school that had formica countertops. I had grown up in a house with tile countertops. So I put a hot pan on the formica and was utterly shocked to find out that it burned....

I imagine when we get new counters I will probably put in granite. On the house we just sold we did put marble in the bathrooms shortly before we sold. That was fine, but I wouldn't do it in the kitchen (although it is lovely).

One thing I like about granite is the movement in some granites and that it isn't all predictable. I like the natural variation.

That said -- I did try to talk DH into the magenta Silestone but he said he wasn't going to get any counter top we would have to have replaced if we decided to sell our house....

I have not noticed those. Thanks. The ones I see are a monolithic pattern. I started a personal rule a long time ago. Mrs Scrapr & I bought an Olds Auroura. It was sold on the premise...just like a Cadillac only cheaper. It was a POS. If I ever have a chance to buy something that is "just like____ only____ I am going to go by the real thing

My own personal rule. YMMV

So just like granite only more expensive = what?

Anybody own very light colored (white with grey streaks) granite countertops?

See post #52. Is that light enough? That is the slab used for my counter tops.
Only have them for a few months but so far everything spilled just beads up and does not soak in.

A hot pan can ruin (crack or discolor) granite as well. But I can’t imagine putting a hot pan directly on any countertop anyway.

Granite takes high heat better and is more “natural” and quartz is more crack/chip and stain resistant. The Cadillac vs Aurora argument doesn’t apply, quartz and granite are not equal other than looks. Having chipped our granite counter edge simply cleaning a large pot in the sink (it wasn’t dropped), we’re sold on quartz.

Last edited:
A hot pan can ruin (crack or discolor) granite as well. But I can’t imagine putting a hot pan directly on any countertop anyway.

Granite takes high heat better and is more “natural” and quartz is more crack/chip and stain resistant. Having chipped our granite counter simply cleaning a large pot in the sink, we’re sold on quartz.

Agree, we always use trivets.

Join the induction range gang, as soon as you shut off the burner it is off the heat.
We may well with the next house though I’m not keen on replacing our All-Clad and Mauviel pots and pans, but we still won’t put hot pans on the counters. :)

Last edited:
We may well with the next house though I’m not keen on replacing our All-Clad and Mauviel pots and pans, but we still won’t put hot pans on the counters. :)

Maybe not?

"Induction cookware must be made of a magnetic-based material, such as cast iron or magnetic stainless steel. Fully clad cookware brands, such as All-Clad Stainless, Viking Cookware, and Mauviel M'cooks stainless work on induction cooktops because they're magnetic."

Why not? I mean I do this all the time. Well, I did it when I had granite or tile. Never had a problem from it. I am actually totally puzzled by this because I don't even know what I would do with the hot pan if I didn't put it on the countertop....

Why not? I mean I do this all the time. Well, I did it when I had granite or tile. Never had a problem from it. I am actually totally puzzled by this because I don't even know what I would do with the hot pan if I didn't put it on the countertop....

+1
I put all hot pans directly on my granite countertop for many years. Like you, I never had a problem.

We put hot pans on another part of the stove or on a trivet. NEVER on the countertop no matter what the material. We had formica in our old home, Corian in our new home and will have granite in the winter condo.

Back
Top Bottom