Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-04-2017, 07:22 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow , I missed on every one of the games .. No upsets at all .. National championship , don't pick what I say could Georgia have a letdown after avenging their loss to Auburn . Could Clemson have a big head hangover , Could Bama come out to prove a point or could Oklahoma finally run into a real defense . Championship.
Oklahoma VS Bama .. Like I said don't bet on what I think.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2017, 07:22 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I favor an 8 team playoff too. With the parity in college footbal one could argue that #5 could have won it all in a 2-game playoff but I think it is hard to assert that #9 could win a 3-game playoff.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
May not happen anytime soon, but I believe they will have an 8 team playoff. All power 5 champions get auto berths and then 3 teams for a formula or committee to decide. That way you get more teams from across the country in and deserving conference runner ups, independents(ND) and maybe a lower conference that has a strong enough schedule to be considered. Of course there will be discussions of the final three as you can't make everyone happy.
I agree about going to 8 but not sure about the automatic bids. In my opinion it should be the 8 best teams.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I can't see them carrying it into February. I think it'd be more likely they have more games in December, like the FCS already does. I just don't get the undue influence the bowls seem to have on the whole process, but I think they could be incorporated much as they are today, with the non-playoff teams continuing to go to the smaller bowls and them major bowls hosting the semis and finals. I'd like to see any earlier round games on campus at the higher seeded teams as an incentive to keep the regular season meaningful.

My son and I are looking forward to going to the JMU quarterfinal game this weekend.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
In the end I think it will be UGA v. Clemson and as much as I am rooting for the Georgia boys (if they can stop getting arrested...idiots!) I think Clemson will win it all by 10.
I like the way your thinking! Go Tigers!
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:52 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Wow , I missed on every one of the games ..
You got Ohio State right, so that's one!
Old 12-04-2017, 07:57 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
I agree about going to 8 but not sure about the automatic bids. In my opinion it should be the 8 best teams.
I could go that way because some conferences have 10 teams, some have 14, and that seems a bit unfair. At least now all have championship games, which was an unfair hurdle for some to jump and some to skip.

But I could live with the 5 major conference champs, one from smaller conferences if they meet minimum criteria, and 2-3 wildcards. Notre Dame and other independents would only get in as wildcard, no automatic way as the BCS used to have. There has to be a way for a really good non-conference champ to get in, IMO, otherwise non-conference games become meaningless.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post

Go Bulldogs beat Boise !
On Wisconsin , beat The Ohio State Buckeyes!
oops - BSU played great; now the coogs get to beat up on fresno
Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Check later. They should drop if they don't sell out that huge stadium. Not I said "if". They know right after the announcement of teams demand is high and they can charge high prices. If you have any association with either school you might be able to get face value tickets through them.

Thanks, I'll check in a week or two.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:31 AM   #50

Easy way to end all the hyperbole, speculation, etc. about the CFP. You have to win your conference, period, end of story !
Old 12-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Easy way to end all the hyperbole, speculation, etc. about the CFP. You have to win your conference, period, end of story !
That's a terrible idea because winning your conference doesn't take into account non-conference games at all. The NCAA basketball tourney used to be that way, and it didn't really take off in popularity until they opened the field to non-champions.

You could have Team A get blown out in the non-conference games against mediocre teams, lose a couple of conference games and barely squeak by the rest, but manage to win a weak division.

Team B absolutely crushes 3 tough non-conference opponents including Team C, rolls through their conference games including beating Team A 77-0.

A plays B in a rematch in their conference championship, but a flu wipes out much of Team B, the game is played in a raging blizzard or rainstorm, and a couple of horrible calls go A's way and they upset B by a point.

A goes instead of B? And Team C can win the playoffs without any risk of having to beat Team B in a rematch? No thanks. You could end all of the speculation, but it'd be a lousy playoff too many years.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
True but irrelevant. A successful season need only include beating Army. Anything else is just gravy
+1
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #53

Quote:
That's a terrible idea because winning your conference doesn't take into account non-conference games at all. The NCAA basketball tourney used to be that way, and it didn't really take off in popularity until they opened the field to non-champions.

You could have Team A get blown out in the non-conference games against mediocre teams, lose a couple of conference games and barely squeak by the rest, but manage to win a weak division.

Team B absolutely crushes 3 tough non-conference opponents including Team C, rolls through their conference games including beating Team A 77-0.

A plays B in a rematch in their conference championship, but a flu wipes out much of Team B, the game is played in a raging blizzard or rainstorm, and a couple of horrible calls go A's way and they upset B by a point.

A goes instead of B? And Team C can win the playoffs without any risk of having to beat Team B in a rematch? No thanks. You could end all of the speculation, but it'd be a lousy playoff too many years.
Here you go then little wisdom from Mike Leach; https://www.facebook.com/SWXRightNow...HU&pnref=story
Old 12-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I can disagree with Leach too. I didn't listen to all of his rambling. Did he address how being a conference champion completely ignores non-conference games?
Old 12-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #55

Quote:
I can disagree with Leach too. I didn't listen to all of his rambling. Did he address how being a conference champion completely ignores non-conference games?
Watch the whole video, he is suggesting a play-off like the pros.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Watch the whole video, he is suggesting a play-off like the pros.
He rambled on about a lot of possibilities, including the pros, FCS, Division III, high schools, ...

There's a lot more parity in the NFL. You can base playoffs strictly on overall records and it'll hold up well. Two teams that goes 12-4 probably aren't that far off because there are only 32 teams and a lot of overlap of opponents. Two FBS college teams that go 10-2 are very possibly worlds apart in how good they really are, and may have no common opponents. And guess what, non-conference teams do make it into the NFL playoffs.

The FCS also include non-conference champions. Guess how they are selected? A committee. So Leach railed against committees, then suggested instead a system that uses...a committee.

I could go on. There are better options than what there is today. I'd be fine with:

- 8 team playoff, 5 major conf champs + 3 at large, with a possible automatic for a smaller conf champ

- 12 team playoff, same as above, but more at large teams, and also gives a bye to the top 4 teams as a huge incentive to make every game count

- 16 team playoff, all conference champions in plus fill with wildcards. I don't really like giving each of C-USA, SunBelt, etc, an automatic bid, so I don't really like this, but I could live with it.

All of these have at large teams to be selected, and I think that'd have to be by committee.

I don't want any playoff that allows only conference champions, as you said, for the reasons I gave earlier.