Greatest bands nobody has heard of

I have been around music all my life to me to pick the greatest band nobody ever heard of would be impossible . I remember McGuffey lane , I think they were from Athens Ohio liked their sound . But for my all time favorite great band I would have to say .
The 13th Floor Elevators. I was just a young kid but I remember these guys in Austin. They were so far ahead of their time , Rocky Erichson wow . I remember when Billy Gibbons presented them an award . Today I enjoy Todd Snider , but everyone has heard of him.

Here is something to think about the largest concert in the Americas was in Houston in 1986. There were 1.4 million people at the concert , took 9 months to set the stage . 2 Antonov's running back and forth to France . Every youth choir in Houston participated. The federal government wanted to shut it down . All air spaces around Houston were shut down. All interstates north and south were shut down. They ran tests for their sound system after dark to the ire of people from surrounding neighborhoods. The last 30 days were 24 /7 setting the stage and lights with helocopters. Now this musician holds the record for the worlds largest concerts with Houston being # 3 in 1986. And nobody can remember this musician. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience . Jean Michel Jarre . The video is rough but an incredible show

The 13th Floor Elevators. I was just a young kid but I remember these guys in Austin. They were so far ahead of their time , Rocky Erichson wow . I remember when Billy Gibbons presented them an award . Today I enjoy Todd Snider , but everyone has heard of him.

I got his record right after he got out of jail.

what about the moving sidewalks?

HFWR, how are you linking these videos so that it just shows the link instead of the whole video? It would make the pages load a lot faster to do it that way.

Maybe some of us old hippies (and non-hippies, but old) will remember The Bubble Puppy

^ they used to play that on kpft in houston during the psychedelic 60s show

HFWR, how are you linking these videos so that it just shows the link instead of the whole video? It would make the pages load a lot faster to do it that way.

you still on 56K modem?

Ha Moving Sidewalks , with Billy Gibbons. That was land before time and time before land. Sometimes when Ray Wylie Hubbard comes to town we get together and talk about the old bands. Billy Joe Shaver always comes up . Living in Texas we have seen world class musicians on street corners .

Just copying/pasting the link...

Chris Smither is an amazing bluesman and guitar player. He's written songs that others have made fairly famous, and performed with a lot of big names, especially Bonnie Raitt. I've seen him in concert multiple times, and he never disappoints.

This is the kind of musician I was thinking of, one who has great talent but has worked in relative obscurity for 20, 30 or 40 years. Billy Joe Shaver and Ray Wylie Hubbard are two others.

As long as this thread is taking a nostalgic turn, does anybody remember The Fugs? They never got any radio play back in the 60s because they made liberal use of George Carlin's seven forbidden words in their music.

To my amazement, they're still around -- they have a video on YouTube showing them performing a musical exorcism ... to be more specific would introduce a political element to this thread, so, 'nuff said.

you still on 56K modem?

It's not about loading speed for me, but sometimes I'd like to post multiple youtube links w/o taking up a ton of vertical screen space (which, yes, is measured in "tons").

I think maybe HFWR is posting from a mobile device? I see the link form is something like " youtu.be/.... " instead of "www.youtube.com/ ...."

I think that's the key, but I'm not sure how to force that mode.

-ERD50

you still on 56K modem?

No, but I am working over a cell phone hot spot, which isn't as fast as a lot of broadband options. I usually display 100 posts per page, so these ones with lots of embedded videos can take a while even when I'm connected to my cable wifi. Since I'm using the hot spot now I should probably cut my per page post number back.

Also, between some one posting a video, then a couple of people including it in the quote of that post, there can be a lot of paging to find something you are looking for. I thought HFWR's solution was elegant and considerate, and was going to start using it if possible. But what works for him isn't working that way for me.

TEST

Under "Miscellaneous Options" in the posting box:
UNCHECK - Automatically parse links in text
UNCHECK - Automatically retrieve titles from external links

youtube link follows:

[EDIT] Nope, still shows the youtube view box for me....

-ERD50

What about:

1. Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band

2. The Sickee Boys (when we go to the beach.)

3. Great Big Sea (a fabulous group from Newfoundland.)

I

Most of my music falls into this category.

I like Centro-Matic and Robert Johnson -- didn't he sell his soul to the devil?

Car Seat Headrest ... interesting, although I don't quite get the point about the Killer Whales. As Stewart Smalley used to say, "And that's ... okay."

Status Quo I remember from their psychedelic '60s Top 40 hit. Seems like they went through several phases after that.

Looks like they shared a drummer with another '60s Brit band, Johnny Kidd and the Pirates ("Shakin' All Over"). Kidd died in a car crash, but the band came back in the late '70s with some high-energy rock n roll.

Back
Top Bottom