Greatest bands nobody has heard of

Well looks like Danny Gatton got a previous mention in this thread too. Sorry about the repeats. And yes, Gatton is long gone. Like Roy Buchanan, I believe, a suicide.

Here's a prog-rock band that had some success in Europe but didn't make much of an impression in the States.

This is just a guy with his guitar...
AWESOME is the only word I have

The guy who owns the shop where I buy tires is from Escanaba. He turned me on to this '60s Yooper garage band because my dad's family lived in Slapneck, Mich.

Back in college and my post college years, loved Guy and Pipp Gillette. They had a great album called Susquehanna, but I could not find it on youtube.

The whistling part of that video reminds me of Andrew Bird, who has made whistling an important part of his art.

A Milwaukeean named Greg Koch has probably made more of a living as a spokesman for guitar manufacturers at trade shows and such than with his music. Basically, he's the guy at the show booth who shows you how great you could sound with one of their instruments. Of course, to do that you'd have to be able to play as well as Greg Koch.

He has some YouTube videos for Wildwood Guitars where he deconstructs the techniques of Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton ... very interesting stuff. But here he is with his latest trio.

I remember Starcastle. I saw them open for Gentle Giant long, long ago....
Not many remember Gentle Giant these days. Heck! Few knew this talented band during their day in the mid-1970s. (I saw them in concert here in Seattle and they were great. I took a Nikon camera to that show and took some color photos that I still have.)

Rather than linking to any specific GG YouTube video, here's a selection:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gentle+giant+live

DS just suggested I check out Lettuce. Jazz/funk/fusion band. I’ll be adding them to my playlist.

Another band out of Milwaukee, featuring frontman Chris Porterfield. The band name is an anagram of Porterfield -- "Field Report."

Porterfield collaborated with Justin Vernon before Vernon went on to found Bon Iver, which has achieved some notoriety.

The vid is a little long, but it shows the band at work, which I always like.

Mr. Graybeard

Back in the 70s, were you familiar with a band called "Clicker"? They hailed from Wisconsin and they played the college circuit in Illinois/Wiconsin. Came out with a couple of albums.

They played some great covers Bowie, J Geils, Beatles (Abbey Road).

Long shot I know.

Mr. Graybeard

Back in the 70s, were you familiar with a band called "Clicker"? They hailed from Wisconsin and they played the college circuit in Illinois/Wiconsin. Came out with a couple of albums.

They played some great covers Bowie, J Geils, Beatles (Abbey Road).

Long shot I know.

These guys?

Here's one of my favorite Madison bands from that period. Can't say I remember Clicker, but it looks like they toured a lot of the college towns.

Not many remember Gentle Giant these days. Heck! Few knew this talented band during their day in the mid-1970s. (I saw them in concert here in Seattle and they were great. I took a Nikon camera to that show and took some color photos that I still have.)

Rather than linking to any specific GG YouTube video, here's a selection:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gentle+giant+live

They used to do a drum interlude almost every show where the entire group was playing drums of some sort or another. Very inventive group.

DS just suggested I check out Lettuce. Jazz/funk/fusion band. I’ll be adding them to my playlist.
I love funk with lots of brass!

Made me remember this (Soulive):
Well, no wonder! Guitarist Eric Krasno and keyboardist Neal Evans are founding members of both bands.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom