Greenland: Icebergs Melting

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is scary: http://tinyurl.com/b5dx2

This global warming stuff seems to only be white noise with the US news. :-[ Why isn't anyone in our government speaking out on the ramifications of rising ocean waters (ie, New York flooding)?

OMG WTF we're all going to die!!!!!111!!!1one.

I'm just waiting for my central NC property to be beachfront. I figure property values will double. Maybe triple.

New York flooding? It'll be the next Venice! Complete with raw sewage.

Global warming was nice yesterday. "Sit out by the lake and relax" nice. Too bad I was at w*rk. :(

(appreciating Justin's sarcasm ;))

Actually, I'm quite serious about this stuff. Our children and grandchildren will definitely be affected. I think people are apathetic because our generation will not be impacted as much as future generations.

Because there is no global warming, of course! ::) Actually whether there is or not is well debated...apparently there have been warming/melting trends years before people existed. I'm sort of in the camp that the pollution isnt good anyhow, so why not work at reducing the effects...just in case ;) But that would go against the energy/oil businesses and hit them pretty hard, so since we'd rather die choking and up to our necks in water than cut the oil profits, there we go.

But thats nothing...wait until the island of La Palma in the Canary's lets go.

If nobody's heard of this, this island is split in half up the middle and on top of an active volcano. During one of its next eruptions (last one in 1949), the shelf on the west side will let go. Its more a question of when than if. When that happens, the tsunami created will wipe out the entire eastern seaboard of the united states to a depth of about 20 miles inland, destroying new york, boston, DC and most of florida along with any other coastal towns. Further, many european countries would take severe damage as well and a fairly substantial wave would hit northern africa. The east coast would get maybe a few hours notice before they were hit...nowhere near long enough to evacuate. Europe and africa would be hit much faster, but not as hard

Unless we find a way to stop volcanic eruptions or hold up 500 billlion tons of rock, or some way to calm a 5000 mile long, 50 yard high wall of water before it drops. Could be tomorrow. Or a thousand years from now.

Learning this was a real turning point for me. Millions dead, world economy tossed on its ear. Because a rock fell in the water.

Don't you think that if it wasn't for global warming on some scale that we would still be in the Ice Age eating Wooly Mammoth steaks?

cube_rat said:
(appreciating Justin's sarcasm ;))

Actually, I'm quite serious about this stuff. Our children and grandchildren will definitely be affected. I think people are apathetic because our generation will not be impacted as much as future generations.

Unfortunately, I was being half-serious. There will be a slow, gradual shift in our thinking to curb pollution, to move further inland, and to "learn to love the bomb". Or a very sudden shift if the Cute Fuzzy Mountain falls in the big pond and hits the east coast.

We will have the New New York somewhere else at a higher elevation further inland.

Until then, I'll be waiting for my beachfront property. Maybe then my beachfront property in Arizona will finally have some water and waves. Although my shares in the Brooklyn bridge will be completely worthless when it is under water. :(

Outtahere said:
Don't you think that if it wasn't for global warming on some scale that we would still be in the Ice Age eating Wooly Mammoth steaks?

[homer] mmmm...wooly mammoth steaks... [/homer]

As long as we're not eating them with chardonnay!

I can't wait for the McMammoth burger. 3,000 calories, 156 grams of fat. 32 oz of pure* ground mammoth. If the subzero temps don't kill you, that double stack of heart attack between two sesame seed buns will.

*pure is defined as at least 70% mammoth meat/parts. 30% may be other filler material.

Here it is...and yes, someone has in fact managed to eat one.

Attachments

• burger3.jpg
    burger3.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 86
  • burger4.jpg
    burger4.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 86
Fortunately, here is north Texas, we only have hunting VPs to worry about...

Oh, and tornadoes, hail, drought, ozone...

There is global warming. Face it.

The real issue might be that a certain point is reached and then rapid change occurs. Climatic changes can be quite sudden.

Martha said:
There is global warming. Face it.

The real issue might be that a certain point is reached and then rapid change occurs. Climatic changes can be quite sudden.

It'll make mountain climbing a lot easier. No crampons needed!

If ocean warming causes another record hurricane season, there will be a lot more believers (how many record cycles year-after-year will it take?).

How many years? 3.744444 repeating. Or so says my calculator.

Have you heard the theories that the slow warming and melt of the Greenland/Antarctic ice may lead to a significant change in the salt content of the seas, changing the weather patterns (somehow, I didn't research that far) dramatically to the colder?  Sort of a less hysterical version of that Dennis Quaid movie "day after tomorrow".  

CFB has already staked out my position, we don't have all the facts, we are just beginning to get a coherent picture.  But isn't it a good idea to stop the car and see what that loud thumping/rattling/shaking is?  We just keep on driving.  :p

Good one laurence!

Had that experience the other day when I was driving my dads car. "Whats that smell?" After a while, I noticed I had been driving 5 miles with the emergency brake on.

Which doesnt say much for the emergency brake.

The salt content issue (I forget the term for it and i'm too sick to google) is a big one. There is also a plausibility of the gulf stream changing direction and causing horrific year round winter conditions in parts of new england and europe.

Hey, we're screwed 9 ways from sunday. I'm gonna go get a mortgage and buy a hummer.

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
Hey, we're screwed 9 ways from sunday. I'm gonna go get a mortgage and buy a hummer.

Pick me one up while you're down at the Hummer store (a hummer, not a mortgage).

There is global warming.  Face it.

The real issue might be that a certain point is reached and then rapid change occurs.   Climatic changes can be quite sudden.    

Martha, I think you are showing your politics. On another topic, you argued that lawyers arent a significant issue with health care costs (which I think some people believe because Bush/Cheney/Rove tried to hammer it home in the last election since John Edwards was a trial lawyer). Politicians love these crisis events. By the way, whatever happened to the killer bee invasion?

maddythebeagle said:
Martha, I think you are showing your politics. On another topic, you argued that lawyers arent a significant issue with health care costs (which I think some people believe because Bush/Cheney/Rove tried to hammer it home in the last election since John Edwards was a trial lawyer). Politicians love these crisis events. By the way, whatever happened to the killer bee invasion?

No politics. I didn't opine as to cause because I don't know enough. But respected scientists agree there is global warming. Which could lead to any number of different climate changes. The polar ice caps are melting after all.

The killer bees are still on the move. After all, they only reached the southern US in about 1990. The problem with journalists and politicians is that they raise an issue as if it an immediate crisis and bad things are going to happen NOW, but if a big problem doesn't suddenly overtake us, the issue disappears or is dismissed as being fiction. Just because killer bees didn't over run the US in a year or two doesn't mean killer bees are not a problem. Just because we didn't get Asian flu this year doesn't mean that pandemic issues are not a problem.

What is wrong with a little long term planning and analysis?

Martha said:
What is wrong with a little long term planning and analysis?

It exceeds:

1) the length of the election cycle for most any office and

2) the attention span of 99% of the voting populace.

brewer12345 said:
It exceeds:
1) the length of the election cycle for most any office and
2) the attention span of 99% of the voting populace.
There's no perceived benefit to sacrifices that will only benefit your descendants, and not until long after you're dead.

Are we sure the entire world is melting? I thought Michael Crighton managed to shed a little doubt on the data quality in his novel "State of Fear"?

Laurence said:
We just keep on driving. :p
Dude, turn up the radio!

Back
Top Bottom