Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I occasionally watch this guy's videos for lessons learned.

I do own a revolver for home defense and for when I'm out camping in the middle of nowhere but I'm not a gun person and hope to never have to use it sort of like having car insurance.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
......... So far a team of female invaders have not busted in to have their way with me, but I keep hoping.
You've never seen Deliverance?
Guns and roses
Old 11-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #43
gone traveling

Guns and roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I cannot stress how much I disagree with "Average" people having guns for self defense. I do not want to live in an area where I would need one. I would be against the OP getting one for Self Defense. Thank goodness we have choices about where we live. If I had to worry about such things I would move. Living in an area where every day folk feel the need to carry a gun when out of their home or shooting range/club is not my idea of a nice place to retire. I have shot competition pistol (IPSC etc.) when I was a little younger, so I am not against guns. I also have a CCP. I have sold my guns now though, but do maintain my CCP, just because I can. When I had them they were locked up, and it would probably take me too long to get them in a break in if I ever needed to actually use one for self defense. Keeping a loaded gun close as some have mentioned is a recipe for disaster, and has been proven so many times.

I’m not sure what area you can live in to assure “you’re safe from violence”.

Certainly, as others have said, if you’re afraid of guns, for heavens sake (and everyone around you) please don’t get one! You’ll be more of a danger than a benefit.

If you do have weapons (any kind of weapon) and don’t train and practice with them, please get rid of them.

As for being able to live with yourself if you have to use it, the key to me is HAVE TO use it. If I felt myself or family in imminent threat, I think I’d be ok.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
I occasionally watch this guy's videos for lessons learned.

I am very surprised those guys didn't just shoot the front door down.
It is three against one unless they are hearing her husband or another family member inside threatening with their own firearm(s).
Old 11-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
..... Keeping a loaded gun close as some have mentioned is a recipe for disaster, and has been proven so many times.
When I was younger, we socialized with a guy who was a Secret Service agent. One day he came home to find his teen aged son had blown a hole in his dresser with his pistol. Odd, because I'm sure he had told the kid in the past to never touch it.
Guns and roses
Old 11-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #46
gone traveling

Guns and roses

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
When I was younger, we socialized with a guy who was a Secret Service agent. One day he came home to find his teen aged son had blown a hole in his dresser with his pistol. Odd, because I'm sure he had told the kid in the past to never touch it.

True story, not a rhetorical reply:

When I was 8, my cousin (10) was running with long bladed scissors, fell, and pierced his heart.

I am sure he had been told not to run with them....
Old 11-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seems like a different world when I was growing up. My DF kept a rifle in the corner of the porch just in case he spotted a groundhog or some other varmint. This was an unlocked porch and he even took the door off in the summer. He made it clear to me that I wasn't to touch that rifle, and I never did, until I was old enough and he had given me some lessons on how to handle it properly. Definitely wouldn't want to trust today's kids with that kind of situation.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Hopefully, you wouldn't know. None, and I mean zero, nada, not a one of my neighbors know I have guns. I don't talk about it, not even a casual mention. I don't show off the collection. It's something to be kept completely and absolutely to yourself without exception.
When our sons were young, they told us about their friend down the street who showed off daddy's gun. I don't know if the father talked about it or showed off his collection. I only know his 8-year old son knew about the gun. Dad seemed surprised when I told him about it.

When I was a young teenager, the neighbors across the street made it known that the neighborhood was safe because their guns were always loaded. When their house alarm went off, we would never go over to see what was wrong because we were worried about being accidentally shot.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
True story, not a rhetorical reply:

When I was 8, my cousin (10) was running with long bladed scissors, fell, and pierced his heart.

I am sure he had been told not to run with them....
Folks like this will never be convinced otherwise and will always come up with something to justify their thoughts. Way more people are killed by guns than scissors.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
Folks like this will never be convinced otherwise and will always come up with something to justify their thoughts. Way more people are killed by guns than scissors.

Folks like this? Ok, I know who not to show a dissenting view from in the future...

I’m not on this site to argue, judge, or berate others. I’ll leave this thread to you that are.

Moving along....
Old 11-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don't be silly. I'm sure that thousands of people a year fall with scissors and pierce their hearts. Much more common than firearm accidents.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #52

(mod hat on)

These forums are quite clearly NOT the place to debate whether or not firearms are a good idea in general for the population. Gun Rights is one of the topics specifically mentioned in the Community Rules which may be considered inappropriate, particularly when the tone of the conversation becomes disruptive.

It's getting awful close, so please take such disagreements offline or elsewhere in order for this thread to continue.

(mod hat off)
Old 11-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Re: Guns n Roses, I refer to them as “Guns n Hosers”...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-14-2018, 10:34 PM   #54

For home defense, IMHO, the best solution is to harden your house. Security storm doors, double cylinder door locks, doors with one of the various setups that impair or prevent the door from being kicked in, mylar on the windows, secure locks on the windows, fix the release cord on the garage door. Things like that, things that will make the criminal go to someone else's house.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
Old 11-14-2018, 10:41 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
If you don't practice on a regular basis or don't feel you could pull the trigger if in the rare case circumstances call for it, then by all means don't get one.
When I was a relatively new dad, I considered getting a gun for home defense. Before deciding, I got to spend some time with a gentleman who had been in the LAPD for 25 years. He gave me some great guidance.

He said you need to think long and hard about whether you’re willing to shoot and maybe kill another human being. He said if you’re not sure you could do it, don’t get a gun.

He also said, if you do decide to get one, you need to practice with it on a regular basis. Waking up at 3am to an intruder is not the time to figure out how to use your weapon.

I had my boys in the house, and now my grandsons are over a lot, so mine is always kept in a handgun safe in my bedroom.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:47 PM   #56

Quote:
+1

Check out the Gun Violence Arcchive: Gun Violence Archive (GVA) is a not for profit corporation formed in 2013 to provide free online public access to accurate information about gun-related violence in the United States. GVA will collect and check for accuracy, comprehensive information about gun-related violence in the U.S. and then post and disseminate it online.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

Old 11-14-2018, 10:48 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Re: Guns n Roses, I refer to them as “Guns n Hosers”...
We named one of our dogs (a black lab) Axl Rose. Axl was a maniac for chasing a ball. He fell over dead one day while chasing a tennis ball I threw.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:57 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
We named one of our dogs (a black lab) Axl Rose. Axl was a maniac for chasing a ball. He fell over dead one day while chasing a tennis ball I threw.
Now that's how I'd like to go. No, not chasing a tennis ball, but doing what I love.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:01 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_E_Expat View Post
Interesting discussion but I live in a country where you would not even be contemplating this discussion as guns are not an option.

Funny how no guns allowed = low crime rate.
I would contend that the crime rate is not affected by guns. Criminals are everywhere. Hence the solution of hardening one's residence as I previously described.

In most places of the world the criminals are just are not armed with guns, thus reducing the fatalities and injuries (to perps and victims) as a result of that crime.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:03 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Now that's how I'd like to go. No, not chasing a tennis ball, but doing what I love.
+1
We had a dog that walked in the door last year and just fell over dead (blood clot). It sure saved us from all the agony of when to put to sleep, and also the expense of the medical procedure. That is the way to go, though.

Closed Thread