Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Gym Clothing Question
Old 07-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gym Clothing Question

Never too late to learn......but always questioning why

After 5 yrs of going to a local gym, got cited today for wearing jeans. After returning home and reading rules online, have probably decided that my memory is faulty and probably read and then forgot those rules long ago. Also have gone there typically 5-7 times/wk for 5 yrs and this is the first time anyone has said anything.

The rules forbid street clothes and jeans but shorts and sweat outfits are ok. The reason given to me was that jeans wear out leather (seats, I guess) on the equipment. I found the words below by googling "leather jeans wear tear". Never having owned leather seats in cars or anywhere else, all this is new to me.

Are jeans really that hard on leather or is it because jeans often have the "zips, rivets, and buckles" listed in the article below and those things cause the damage. To show how observant I am, I was about to claim I have no rivets, but just noticed I do have them but not on the sitting side.

I guess I should wonder also if the seats on the equipment are really leather or perhaps some synthetic (wear/tear characteristic?)

Be careful sliding in and out of your car over leather upholstery and try to avoid the bolster. This area of the seat will always wear fastest, but often they can wear all the way through. Although normal wear to your upholstery is acceptable, if your leather is cracked and worn through, likely or not this will be judged to be excessive wear and incur a recharge. Leather is very delicate!

Take great care with zips, rivets and buckles on clothing. Try not to wear jeans on leather seats, and do not sit on your coat, these items will mark, scuff and even rip leather.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't recall any rules like that at my gym, but now that you mention it, it does make sense. Some really "tricked out" jeans have a lot of sharp rivets on them. Think biker/rocker styles.

Honestly I do think that you will be SO much more comfortable wearing sweats or shorts and t-shirts. They stretch more, so that you can get a more full range of motion comfortably, and I think that loose clothing tends to be cooler when I sweat perspire "glow". I prefer really stretchy, cool clothes even for walking on the track so that a longer stride is more comfortable.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Could be worse - few years ago a local cop stopped me when i was doing a couple mile walk at speed - was on the home stretch and listening to some quick music and - heavens! - wasn't wearing society approved walking/exercise togs. Reason given for the stop? agitated walking. guess he thought he had a new meth head on his beat.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

I've belonged to several gyms and I never saw anybody in jeans . So maybe there is a rule ? I currently go to a woman only gym and have five nylon outfits that I rotate . They are so comfortable and look decent enough for a quick supermarket stop .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Whatever you do don't become one of the old people at the gym who hangs around the locker room naked. I've never understood this and have a deep down fear that when I'm older some behavior synapse will fire causing me to want to be in the locker room accomplishing tasks like shaving, rummaging thru gym bag, picking up coins from the floor, sitting in steam room, or having long conversations while completely naked.

Regarding your illegal gym clothing perhaps you need a pair of these:

tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

Honestly I do think that you will be SO much more comfortable wearing sweats or shorts and t-shirts. They stretch more, so that you can get a more full range of motion comfortably, and I think that loose clothing tends to be cooler when I sweat perspire "glow". I prefer really stretchy, cool clothes even for walking on the track so that a longer stride is more comfortable.
Didn't realize, as usual, that I was assuming everything was well-defined
but really wasn't.........jeans I wear are.......how are they advertised.....
relaxed fit? As in loose and baggy so stretching/cooling is not really
a problem for most things.

Must admit that after I was cited that I watched all who entered. No jeans at all but I wonder if the material is really that harsh on the "leather" compared to other materials......or maybe not all shorts are approved but have to be of a certain type.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #7

My town's Natatorium has a dress code -

"Shirts, athletic shorts/sweatpants and closed-toe athletic shoes are required everywhere in the Natatorium except for the aquatics area."

The place has a lovely 1/8 mile indoor track and for a lot of people they only go there to walk on the track so this was added -

"Casual dress with proper footwear is permitted for walking."

I think originally the rule said no street clothes, but they changed it because so many people didn't want to change clothes just to walk on the track.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:18 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've never noticed a problem with jeans and leather. I've worn jeans or jean shorts every single day that i've driven my car for over 5 years and the seats are like new.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #9

We belonged to a fitness center and got a pamplet relative to rules and regulations. It never said "no jeans" but it did state that "appropriate attire" is required. I'm sure they would say something if they didn't like what they saw. Same with a golf country club but they spell out "no jeans, cutoffs or tee shirts. Must have a collared shirt and ladies tops must have sleeves". It's just called appropriate wear. That's why my old high school coach always wanted us to have flat tops. "If you can't play the game, at least look the part and act like you belong here".
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I've never noticed a problem with jeans and leather. I've worn jeans or jean shorts every single day that i've driven my car for over 5 years and the seats are like new.
Appreciate that data point......I suppose now that they'll argue that the seats are not real leather and so wear differently..........that's ok and they set the dress code............just after the real truth here. Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

My guess is that they don't like the look of jeans and street clothes in their gym, and whoever told you about wearing out the leather just made it up. I suppose there could be a safety issue with constricting clothes or belts that could get caught in weight machines or something like that.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't forget - the terrorists hate us because we're so free !
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #13

I have never seen anyone wear jeans while working out at my gym. I would think they would be too hot and constricting. I have several pairs of black tights that fall about mid-calf which are very comfy and some sweat-wicking fiber shirts that have a lot of "give" without riding up on me. And my Thorlo socks which provide a lot of cushioning. One rule my gym has is to carry in clean shoes to change into in the winter. Keeps everything much cleaner and I agree with this policy.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Maybe the gym owners had a run-in with someone wearing the studded jeans in this photo, a few minutes before Kaneohe arrived at the gym:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jeans.jpg (49.0 KB, 1 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
No rules like that in the gym that I use at the near-by Army base.

The only rules that I know of are: "sign in before using gym", "use only one towel", "no boots on the treadmill", and "Only unloaded weapons are allowed in the gym."

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I'd think the coarse weave of jeans fabric would wear leather over time. If my car had leather seats (as if), I'd keep a heavy towel between me and the seat. I do believe, though, that the acidity of human sweat is far harder on seating materials, than any fabric would be; that's why the gym staff pester people about wiping the equipment.

I hereby remind the locker room clothing police that the word "gymnasium" derives from the Greek word for "naked." Admittedly, I dislike looking at other naked women, so I figure the other women must feel the same and I always wear at least a towel or underwear in the locker room.

In the gym itself, I wear a sports bra and running shorts. In the 18 years I've been working out, nobody has complained. There's always a first time, so probably somebody will complain tomorrow
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:17 PM   #17

I am thinking that the wiping off of the equipment might have something to do with hygiene too...prevent the spread of community MRSA, dermatitis and such. I always use the special fitness room at my gym that is reserved for women only, not as crowded and less sweaty and testosterone-charged. A couple of the studio rooms have women's only yoga and Pilates which is nice because it makes for a more relaxed atmosphere and appeals to me as the women are more my age.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
. I always use the special fitness room at my gym that is reserved for women only, not as crowded and less sweaty and testosterone-charged. A couple of the studio rooms have women's only yoga and Pilates which is nice because it makes for a more relaxed atmosphere and appeals to me as the women are more my age.

I 've been going to a Women's gym for years and I really enjoy it . It seems much more friendly and relaxed than the co-ed gyms .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
If my car had leather seats (as if), I'd keep a heavy towel between me and the seat.
It is quite surprising, actually, how abrasive towels can be....at least those in hotels, even some fancy ones.
I learned this the hard way....left the faucet in basin running while I took bath; clothes soaking in basin blocked exit hole; water overflowed onto floor. Repeated application of towel/wringing into bathtub
left hands raw and bloody.

......and there is at least one data pt in this thread that says that jeans on leather is not all that bad.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:47 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
Whatever you do don't become one of the old people at the gym who hangs around the locker room naked. I've never understood this and have a deep down fear that when I'm older some behavior synapse will fire causing me to want to be in the locker room accomplishing tasks like shaving, rummaging thru gym bag, picking up coins from the floor, sitting in steam room, or having long conversations while completely naked.
Gosh too funny!!! I just came into the office yesterday complaining about this very thing. The YMCA I go to has a pool where many elderly women go to first thing in the morning for water aerobics and then they come in and strip down and walk around the locker room naked for long periods of time. They stand in the room where I am trying to blow out my hair and do my makeup and just talk and talk and talk as though they don't even notice their complete lack of clothing. It is quite disconcerting to me.

oh, and the Y does forbid jeans, no reason given that I know of, just "no jeans".
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote